Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Japanese Numbers custom ceramic chip set (review, samples, pr0n)

Discussion in 'Custom Chip Gallery' started by seifip, Sep 27, 2009.

1. seifip

seifip Active Member

This is my first chip set (and my first custom chip set, for that matter). I've finally received a sample set and as several people were interested to see them, and possible purchase a set like this, here it is...

Initial concepts/mock-ups:
    http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/custo...custom-ceramic-chip-set-japanese-numbers.html

Production:
    The chips were printed by BR Pro Poker (BR Pro Poker - Custom Poker Chips) who were very helpful during the design process and even sent me a sample set free of charge.

Chips:
    They sound great (the sound is ceramic, but it's somewhere in between the sound of Chipco ceramic and Paulson clay chips. I find their sound slightly deeper and much better to the ear that that of Chipco or Nevada Jacks).

They have a very smooth, almost identical to Chipco, texture on the face but unlike Chipco, they have a very glossy rolling edge which looks very nice and has a good feel to it when stacking the chips. The graphics are very sharp.

Overall I love these chips and I actually prefer their look & feel to Chipco or Nevada Jacks chips.

Note:
    1. The edge marks on the rolling edge in my mock-up were of different length depending on the chip denomination. They were all printed as identical dots by BR Pro but it was just a misunderstanding and they reassured me that they will print the rolling edge spots correctly in the final set.
    2. After reviewing the sample set, I've decided to make some minor changes to my design. 1 - I'll remove the last white circle (on the edge of the chips) as it doesn't look very nice (what do you think?). I'll make the 500 chip more purple and slightly lighter. You can see the changes in the last image.

Full & sample sets:
    If you would like to buy a chip set with this design, you can do so by sending me a mail, a PM or commenting here. The price is 1USD/chip. If you would like me to make some individual changes to the design, or add denominations, please contact me by mail (seifip [at] gmail.com) or send me a PM.

And now... chip pr0n!!!

Update Nov 2017:

It's been 8 years, and I finally found the time to release an update to this poker set, and put it up for sale online :)

[​IMG]

1. I changed Japanese numerals to regular digits, as almost all of you have asked me to make this change in your orders.
    2. I've polished the design, with nicer fonts, and more distinct colours.
    3. You can now purchase the chips through my Facebook store, instead of PayPaling my personal address, which should make things much more straightforward

The chips are still manufactured from quality ceramic, by BR Poker Pro.

If you'd like to purchase a set, head to: http://www.sexychips.com/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. Dazzler

Dazzler Well-Known Member

Very smart and original, looks like some good printing too.

How does the 500 look in real-life? - looks in the photos like it could clash with the black 100.

3. Puggy

Puggy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Like I said in the other thread:

Grrreat job, sir. :cool:

4. seifip

seifip Active Member

@Dazzler: Yes, the 500 is somewhat similar to the 100 but as you can see in my new mock-up I've made it more purple and lighter which should distinguish them enough.

5. PilsBier

PilsBier Well-Known Member

Very nice result and the printing is pretty good too.

You can be proud of those for sure. And it's a very good decision to cut that white outer rim. That will enhance the next samples for sure.

A minor critic I have is the 500 chip. I don't think the change is big enough that it will distinguish enough from the 100 chip.

We'll see with the next samples, but I've doubts. :wink:

Cheers,
    Pils

6. seifip

seifip Active Member

The final chip set finally arrived and it looks&feels great! The purple chips are now brighter and clearly distinguishable from the black ones...

Once again, if you are interested in buying a set feel free to send me a mail. I can also make some individual design changes (like switching to Arabic numerals) upon request.

Japanese numerals poker chips | NihongoUp

7. rtmunro

rtmunro Well-Known Member

wow, these are gorgeous. I'm currently on the fence between ceramic vs. custom clay. the texture and appearance is great. thanks for the close ups.

8. jriffel

jriffel Well-Known Member

Now, that is way cool !!!:laugh: Beautiful design.

9. Vince

Vince Faux Clay Nation

That's something completely new, I like it :)

10. Schu

Schu Creativity Alliance

Superb and very Clean... some of the best designs I have seen. congrates
    I PM'ed you
    thanks
    Schu

11. Schu

Schu Creativity Alliance

Looking for a sample set OP... let me know please

12. Schu

Schu Creativity Alliance

Any word on the checks OP?

13. naes

naes Well-Known Member

actually that could be chinese as well :wink:

14. kweso

kweso New Member

you know, i don't like you very much :wink:
    i am a designer, too and started to play texasholdem some years ago. after a while i thought of getting a new set of chips but found none of my liking. but i found sunfly, a chinese custom chip producer. i thought yeah, i'll do my own... and started to think about possible designs.
    looking for some insiration i found yours. bam! how could i possibly do something other than this?! they're perfect.

well, i will try hard and build something other than your design and hope it will be half as good as yours.

cheers!
    kws

15. seifip

seifip Active Member

Hey guys! It's been 8 years, and I finally found the time to release an update to this poker set, and put it up for sale online :)

[​IMG]

1. I changed Japanese numerals to regular digits, as almost all of you have asked me to make this change in your orders.
    2. I've polished the design, with nicer fonts, and more distinct colours.
    3. You can now purchase the chips through my Facebook store, instead of PayPaling my personal address, which should make things much more straightforward

The chips are still manufactured from quality ceramic, by BR Poker Pro many of you have recommended to me.

If you'd like to purchase a set, head to: http://www.sexychips.com/

And thank you once again to everyone who has helped me get this project off the ground, way back when I was still in high school!