Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

HOW TO Fix the ASM inlay Bubble yourself. **Explained with Pictures**

Discussion in 'Custom Chips General' started by Manity, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Manity

Manity Well-Known Member

Well after recieveing my chips from ASM i have about 154 extras, and about 150 spinners because of various inlay issues.

Most of the inlay issues are on one side of the chip but there are some with the Bubble on both sides.

Here is a guide with picture to show you what i did to fix the Bubble inlay issue to be good if not better then NEW.

1)
    [​IMG]

This image shows the bubble of the chip, it will make a "poping" sound when pushed in as the glue will not hold the inlay to the chip because i am guessing one of their machines did not apply enough pressure to the chip therefore the inlay is to big for the impact created via the pressure.

2)
    [​IMG]

Here is a video showing the spinner aka bubble inlay that i will fix, this also shows the poping sound that the chip makes.

3)
    [​IMG]

This shows the razor knife that used just to lift the inlay from the chip. I have found that the more the bubble the easier to remove the inlay. You just need to goto the edge of the inlay that has the bubble and just lift with the razor knife.

Be careful as there is 3 layers of vinyl, you want to pull away all 3 layers from the chip. Sometimes as in the bad bubbles this will be simple. Other times you will just pull away the top 2 layers. This is no big deal as you are going to toss away the last layer anyways.

4)
    [​IMG]

This shows my knife under the inlay and it will be easy to pop off the chip. You want to be VERY CAREFUL not to seperate the 1 layer and the second layer as this will cause damage to the image on the inlay.

Now that the knife is under the inlay, just lift and the inlay will just pop off. Take not of the position of the inlay so that you can put the inlay back on after in the exact same position. ASM is good for lining up the inlays on the front and the back so i just looked at the back of the chip i am working on.

5)
    [​IMG]

This shows the inlay off the chip. Now we have to remove the backing that we don't need bacause we are using glue and they uses some type of vinyl heat resin. Sometimes as stated earlier that the 3rd layer will still stick to the chip after you pull the inlay off. This is ok just take that off the chip and toss it in the trash.

6)
    [​IMG]

This shows the inlay and the 3rd layer seperated from each other.

7)
    [​IMG]

This the chip with no inlay on one side of it, see the resin mark from where the inlay should have stuck.

[​IMG]

This is the resin mark on the 3rd layer that you are going to toss out.

9)
    [​IMG]

Now that you have the chip with that resin mark take the razor knife and scratch the resin off the chip and do a good job all over where the inlay is supposed to go. This will be better for the glue to hold the inlay to the chip for good.

10)
    [​IMG]

Use some fin grit sand paper and scratch the back of the inlay to make it rough for it to hold better to the chip with the glue. Also take the inlay on it's side and drag the inlay accross the sand paper so that you can take a little bit off the edge all around the chip one time. This will make the inlay just a bit smaller so that it will be a perfect fit.

11)
    [​IMG]

This is the inlay after the back has been slightly scratched up and slightly rounded. Don't round to much, do a test dry fit without the glue to see how it will fit. You need to remember the position on the chip to get the best fit.

12)
    [​IMG]

This is the glue i used and find it better then krazy glue as this will give you more time to put on the inlay and move it into place. The glue is model airplaine glue which you can get at walmart or hobby store. This glue is perfect for plastics.

Apply the glue in one small dot, then spread with a piece of plastic. Spread evenly around the surface of the chip where the inlay used to be. Then apply the inlay in the tested original position and push with your finger evenly all around the inlay. I have found that you can move the inlay around in a circle shortly after to adjust it to correct the position. After this it will dry and hold the inlay like a rock.

If you get any glue on the face of the chip it will rub off with your thumb with no lasting effect which is GREAT.

13)
    [​IMG]

Here is the chip with the inlay back on, just PERFECT.

14)
    [​IMG]

This shows that the bubble is now gone :)

15)
    [​IMG]

This is a closeup of the inlay i just glued back on. Can you tell the difference?

Hope this helps out anyone that will recieve extras with this issue and you can now use them ALL.

This takes about 3-5 min per side depends on how fast you want to go, just watch a movie and you will get them all done.

Thanks for the read and sorry for the long post

Also a special thanks to TechnoGuru for the original idea :)

Chad

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
    16 people like this.
  2. 7thSeat

7thSeat Creativity Alliance

This thread should really get you some extra chips after all that work. Exellent job. :cigar:

3. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Great job, I'm going to suggest to the mods that this become part of the Article library. (FYI, its resin so you may want to correct that first)

4. _GUN_

_GUN_ Well-Known Member

nice post, Manity.

how much time are you spending on each piece, though?

5. Manity

Manity Well-Known Member

Takes about 3-5 min per side

6. Ranman

Ranman CCGTCC Member

Great job. Well done.

My ASM's are a couple of months away so I hope the problem will be resolved before mine get made but I know what to do now.

Thanks

Ranman

7. tripod22

tripod22 Well-Known Member

Excellent, thank you!

Since this is likely to become an article, there's a typo to correct.

In step 4:

"Take not of the position"

not should be note

Thanks again.

8. smoore

smoore Creativity Alliance

another slight typo:

s/uses/use/

9. Q10 soooted

Q10 soooted Well-Known Member

I have as much love for Nanabanana as others on the site, but what's up with all the $20 banana chip avatars. It makes it quite confusing as ALL of the replies in this thread have the same avatar. Hard to keep track of who's who in my mind. :?

10. X-Files

X-Files Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

It is her birthday! Just showing some respect and fun.

11. EasilyFound

EasilyFound Well-Known Member

How common is this problem? And does this thread mean that ASM will not correct the problem itself or issue replacement chips?

12. tripod22

tripod22 Well-Known Member

ASM will correct the problem if it occurs (which it does at varying frequencies).

However, to have them correct it entails sending the effected chips back to them and waiting. This is just an alternative for those of us who don't want to part with the chips we have nor wait any longer for replacements.

13. Manity

Manity Well-Known Member

Yes just for those extras you get and they are bubbled why not give it a shot and try and fix them. Mine turn out good as new :)