Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

How many were actually made of these chips

Discussion in 'Chip Collector General' started by Chip Magnet, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Chip Magnet

Chip Magnet Well-Known Member

I cant seem to get a definitive answer as to how many of the pictured chips
    were made ?
    and how collectible on a scale of 1 to 10 ?
    Also the full name of these chips ?

Attached Files:

2. ledavatar

ledavatar Well-Known Member

3. ledavatar

ledavatar Well-Known Member

4. Chip Magnet

BCC $.25 commemorative chips: 2335 made (ONLY)

5. Trihonda

Trihonda Well-Known Member

Anything with "commemorative" on it, is usually worth less, lol...

6. Chip Magnet

Dammm as bad as that:sorry:

7. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

Just to point out the obvious. There are eight people on earth that bought at least 140 of these. Now 140 of these chips are in your possession with questionable provenance - not saying anything done was unlawful or even shady, just noting the lack of a rational chain of custody is a bad thing. The issue is we don't know and can't put ourselves in the shoes of the original buyer who surely would know that he could get top dollar by offering them here - and paid via paypal instantly.

Couple this information with the history of the last four weeks and I hope you, Chip Magnet, can understand why so many people are treating you barely better than a thief or con artist. There is a terribly sad story between when this group buy was done and the day you first got these chips. You might not have had anything to do with it and might not even know what happened. But it.

DrStrange

PS I'd expect you to get at least $2/chip absent the provenance question. Those might be "commemorative" but they fit the set quite well.

8. DrStrange

Supporter

And best I can figure, Dazzler was the only English buyer in the $0.25 commemorative group. We haven't seen a post from him in half a year and it seems like he was working in the middle east the last time we did hear from him. Maybe someone knows more that I could figure from a short search.

DrStrange

9. atomiktoaster

atomiktoaster Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    @Dazzler also was in on the PNY DB GB, and the White Sands. That seals it for me. I wonder if anyone has contact info for him.

http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/pny-inspired-dealer-button-shipping-underway.23861/

http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/black-sands-dealer-button-gb-discussion-closed.40992/

10. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Wow. I have around 150 of these. They came from 2-3 sellers (can't recall exactly), none of whom are on that list. However, if I asked I could probably find out.

11. Chip Magnet

They are certainty not stolen on my little boys life...remember the guy that rang me,he offered me £1200 now that would have been a steal..

12. atomiktoaster

Media:
    Albums:
    How would you even know? Until there's an established chain of custody from Dazzler to you, there's no way for us to know what may or may not have happened to these chips as they changed hands.

Trihonda likes this.
  13. Chip Magnet

Its totally absurd to even suggest anything to do with theft,even remote suggestions...

14. Chip Magnet

15. Chip Magnet

The chips are on there way to Virginia as we speak with UPS tracked insured for £500 and to sign for.does that sound like a conman to you?

16. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Maybe you really are that dense, I dunno.

Do you know the guy you got them from did not acquire them by shady means? How about the guy before him? And the guy before him? Bottom line is whoever initially purchased them was a member here and people are curious as to the route they ended up taking from our members hands to yours. If you can't trace them all the way back to a member of this forum then you have absolutely no idea if something shady happened en route.

Get it?

17. Trihonda

Trihonda Well-Known Member

Chip Magnet did say where he got them from I think. He said they were sitting in his family's store for a while or something like that, am I correct Magnet? Don't want to misquote you...

18. stocky

stocky Well-Known Member
    Supporter

He said his dad had them since the 80s. Then he changed it to the 90s.

19. DrStrange

Supporter

A month ago, on another chip site we had an amazing story unfold about a guy who bought a package of rare poker chips for 50 GBP on Gumtree. That guy claimed to be the owner of the Ebay account PAULCARRACKFAN - the same as demonstrated to be the account of Chip Magnet in several CT threads.

That original story and the guy melted down badly enough within a week that a lifetime ban was issued. A day or two later, an account for Chip Magnet appeared here, again claiming to be in the possession of what appears to be the same chip horde and establishing to my satisfaction that he is the owner of the PAULCARRACKFAN ebay site. Chip magnet offers the explanation of identity theft for this sequence of events. This is a plausible explanation - though maybe not easily sold to bluff sniffing poker players.

We know parts of the horde include "group buy" items. That means they were sold on a known date to a very short list of people. Of course these items do get resold / traded, sometimes frequently. But the market place for fantasy chips to match sets and customized dealers buttons is tiny. It isn't impossible for an unknown to acquire these chips and other items, but it would be unlikely because they aren't generally traded on ebay or gumtree. These chips change hands in private trades between people at least loosely affiliated with Chip Talk, PCF and/or the CC&GTCC. No one would be shocked, surprised or alarmed when Abby says she now has 150 of the group bought $0.25 fantasy PNY chips. But as she noted, if pressed she could likely track back who sold her the chips.

We know with certainty no one got these chips from a time prior to 2006. As I noted, there was a tiny distribution list for each group purchase. We have complete knowledge of the original sale but almost no knowledge of subsequent sales. I trust the group is mistaken about Chip Magnet finding these in his dad's possession from the 1980's or 1990's. It would be best to either retract the posts or add links documenting the claim.

Every person who accumulates vintage chips understands their value to some extent. The same can't be said for family members handling an estate, an angry exwife or even someone claiming abandoned property.

So it is entirely possible that Chip Magnet got these chips through normal commercial channels. He runs an ebay store that would benefit from a huge horde of chips. He might well buy big lots of chips in the normal course of business. The chips didn't have to be stolen to be sold for < 1% of market value. There is a list of possible explanations that are all perfectly legal and legitimate.

All I know is there is a sad story between 2006 and 2015 where someone we know who shares our passion for chips enough to spend thousands of dollars and many hours of effort has lost his/her prized possessions for reasons yet unknown.

DrStrange

jjbcentral likes this.
  20. atomiktoaster

Media:
    Albums:
    Can do! Stocky was bringing up his earlier conversation.