Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

How constitues a legal raise?

Discussion in 'Cash Game / Ring Game Advice' started by dad604, Jul 23, 2007.

1. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

I want a clarification of what is consider a raise when someone is allin. I believe that it is different between fix limit and NL. In limit, is it 50% and over. In NL, is it 100% (not even 99%)?

In limit 3/6 game, I bet $6, next player goes allin with $9. Is that a raise?

In NL, I bet $10, next player allin for $19. Is that a raise or not? Does it need to be allin for $20 to be consider a raise?

2. xtwalker

xtwalker Well-Known Member

It's a question of house rules. Generally in NL you are correct, a player has to go all in for at least one full raise before it is considered a re-raise.

3. retravoh

retravoh Faux Clay Nation

in limit its possible for another player to "complete the bet" which is when a player goes allin for less than a legal raise and someone else has to complete his allin to the amount of a legal raise.

4. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

I use Robert's Rules of poker when I host a home game, with some modifications. It's been a couple years, but here's what I remember.

Your numbers are what I use. An all-in fixed limit raise is half or more of the bet. An all-in no limit raise must equal or exceed the amount of the minimum raise.

FL Example: I bet $10, next player goes all-in for $17, the player after can call $17 or raise to $27 but may not complete to $20. If some other players call the $17 and it comes back to me, I can raise because my $10 was raised.

FL Example: I bet $20, next player goes all-in for $26, the player after can call $26 or complete it to $40 but may not raise to $46. If $26 comes back to me, I can't raise because I was not raised.

NL Example: I bet $150, next player goes all-in for $250 (not a raise). The following players can call $250 or raise it by at least $150 (the amount I established with my first bet). If the bet is $250 when it gets back to me, I can't raise it because I was not raised.

Yes that is a raise. The next person can call $9 or make it $15.

$19 is not a raise. $20 or more would be a raise.

5. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

Right. Somebody can complete the raise. I bet $10, somebody is all-in for $12, the next player call $12 or make it $20. If everybody calls the $12, I can't raise it when the action gets back to me. But if somebody completes the raise to $20, then I can reraise when it gets back to me.

6. Slim7

Slim7 Well-Known Member

I think the last point here is important... if it is not completed by someone else I cannot reraise..this has caused many disagreements in some home games. In no-limit, I have always played that a raise needs to be 100% or more otherwise the original raiser cannot reraise unless further action is taken by a player in between..if that makes sense:stunned:

7. Angry Jacks

Angry Jacks Well-Known Member

Straight from Robert's Rules:
    [FONT=&quot]5. In limit play, an all-in wager of less than half a bet does not reopen the betting for any player who has already acted and is in the pot for all previous bets. A player facing less than half a bet may fold, call, or complete the wager. An all-in wager of a half a bet or more is treated as a full bet, and a player may fold, call, or make a full raise. (An example of a full raise is on a $20 betting round, raising a $15 all-in bet to $35).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6. Any wager must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round, unless a player is going all-in.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3. All raises must be equal to or greater than the size of the previous bet or raise on that betting round, except for an all-in wager. A player who has already checked or called may not subsequently raise an all-in bet that is less than the full size of the last bet or raise. (The half-the-size rule for reopening the betting is for limit poker only.)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Example: Player A bets $100 and Player B raises $100 more, making the total bet $200. If Player C goes all in for less than $300 total (not a full $100 raise), and Player A calls, then Player B has no option to raise again, because he wasn’t fully raised. (Player A could have raised, because Player B raised.)[/FONT]

8. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me. :) Correct implementation is another thing. :stunned:

9. BigBlue

BigBlue Well-Known Member

Never gave it much thought. I have read through sections that covered it, but it has never been an issue in our home games.

From a strategy perspective, most all-in bets are called and checked down to help knock the all-in player out. Most, not all. The rest of them tend to be raised all-in by player 3 (2nd all-in-er) to isolate.

10. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

This is cash/ring game not tournament. No need for strategy to knock players out.

11. poker-paradise

poker-paradise Well-Known Member

anything that you put in above the bet is considerd a raise. the question is can someone re-raise. the answer is if its more then 50% raised then yes. otherwise they can only complete the bet.

12. the3rd

the3rd Well-Known Member

Unless... You are playing 1/2 NL and the betting is preflop. You raised the BB $8. Next player's all-in is a valid reraise of $9. You or any remaining player can call $19 OR reraise to a minimum of $28 total.

Just thought I'd answer a question nobody asked.:)

13. poker-paradise

poker-paradise Well-Known Member

wow very observent. stay away from my game.