Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

horseshoe mold

Discussion in 'History of Poker Chips' started by jspake, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jspake

jspake Well-Known Member

hi all, i've recently been putting together a set of the "classic" binions horseshoe chips (10th,11th issue) on the horseshoe mold (by the way, anyone got a green/yellow/red 3U binion's $25 chip to trade for a sample set of my customs?). i think it is quite a great mold. i like the deep line around the outer rim of the chip, the horseshoes themselves make a cool geometric pattern, and hey, they're inherently lucky, right? so my questions are who manufactured these chips, and who currently owns/ possesses the molds? looking at the black $100 3U chip i have right here in front of me, there looks to be brass flakes in the clay. was ASM/burt making these chips back in the 70s/80s? i know people come on here from time to time to daydream about getting ahold of some classic mold, but... who am i kidding, wouldn't it be cool to get custom chips on the horseshoe mold?

[​IMG]
    By jspake at 2009-01-02

thanks for any info you guys might have!

-jeremy

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. AlbinoDragon

AlbinoDragon Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Some time ago... maybe close to two years (yipe!) there was a CT member that had a bunch of those $100s in relatively good shape for sale here. There were questions about who made them and I distinctly remember Jim B from ASM chiming in and saying they made them (maybe still under the guise of Burt Co.).

I have most of the Horseshoe mold issues from the Horseshoe and for kicks and giggles I matched up the colors with my ASM color sample set and they are spot on perfect with only minor differences in a couple cases (probably lot differences).

They do seem to be tricky to come by. Took me about 9 months to find mine. Sorry I can't help out on that one. (I'm looking for the $100 that is black-red-white myself... well and he $500 without breaking the bank).

Good luck with it. They are all really pretty when put together....

3. jojong

jojong Well-Known Member

According to Eisenstadt's site. This mold was used by the TK Specialty Co. back in 1952.
    mold designs -- manmade objects
    But I do seem to recall what Albino says about ASM owning the mold. It would be nice to see a classic mold being made again.

There's quit a few horshu chips you might be missing in those issues. Here's where you can see most of my collection.
    http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/chip-collector-gallery/30556-my-lv-reno-horseshoe-collection.html

I may have an extra $25 chips your looking for. Send me a PM on what you have for trade. There's also a $0.25 chip in the 7th issue that used the horshu mold.

4. akslcdv

akslcdv Well-Known Member

I have heard that B&G currently owns this mold. If you go to thechipboard.com there are several knowledgable people who can give you a lot of great information about the horshu mold. If you find some interesting information could you post it here?

5. jspake

jspake Well-Known Member

hmm.. so if TK specialty owned the mold and sold it to B&G, does that mean that GPI now has it and we can all just dream on if we think we will ever see a chip made on this mold again? if so, what a shame.

6. jspake

jspake Well-Known Member

PM sent!

7. jspake

jspake Well-Known Member

for anyone still interested in this, i just went ahead and asked ASM about the horseshoe mold, and they verified that they did in fact make all of the horseshoe mold chips in the 70's and 80's, including binion's, but the mold was returned to "the owner" in the late 90's/early 2000's. they did not verify who actually holds the mold though.

8. akslcdv

akslcdv Well-Known Member

Did they mention if the current owner has any plans on using that mold? You would think that if they weren't going to use it that they would sell it to someone who would? Or, maybe even use it for home chip sets.

9. jspake

jspake Well-Known Member

i sent another email asking that very question, but have not heard anything back. i'll post here if i get any more info out of them.

10. deputyfl

deputyfl Creativity Alliance

T. K. Specialty Co owned it before B&G bought them out so they are the final resting place:)

11. jspake

jspake Well-Known Member

boooo! :cry: