Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Home game structure help

Discussion in 'Tournament Structures' started by mkruse02, May 15, 2015.

1. mkruse02

mkruse02 Active Member

There will be 6-10 players.
    Starting stack is T1500
    No antes, no addons

Blind Structure
    10/20
    15/30
    20/40
    30/60
    BREAK
    50/100
    75/150
    100/200
    150/300
    BREAK
    200/400
    300/600
    400/800
    600/1200

First question: How long should I make the levels? Is there a standard or a fan favorite?

Second question: How do I handle rebuys? I want them to serve the function of extending the night for someone who busted on a bad beat early on. I don't want anyone's night to end early and ruin their fun, but I also don't want crazy loose play just because they know they can rebuy. Is there a happy medium for this?

My initial thoughts: I would allow rebuys through the first break. Only 1 rebuy per person. Same cost as the buyin and it gets you T1500 in chips. Can only rebuy if you go bust. But then I was worried I would have a problem with everyone who is short stacked going all-in before the break that way they would either double up or go bust and then could rebuy. How to I account for this or is this simply not a problem?

2. KingZilla

KingZilla Well-Known Member

I ran this same structure for a few years. I played it as a sit and go. I used 15 min levels, so the tourney lasted about 2 to 2.5 hours. That way we could get in 2 or even 3 tourneys in a single night. If you want the tourney to last longer, use 20 min. levels.
    As far as rebuys, I allowed rebuys to the end of the 50/100 level. Reason for this is at 75/150 with a rebuy at T1500 you're technically short-stacked. So the 50/100 was your last chance. As far as short stacks going risky before the rebuy level ends, you will always have that. They will get called and either go bust or double up. It didn't present a problem as far as I am concerned. Besides, more rebuys = bigger prize pool. :)

3. brianb10

brianb10 Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

Are you passing the deal or will you have a dedicated dealer who can control the pace? In pass the deal I like 20 minute levels, at least in the beginning. Inevitably you get the "shuffle the faces off the cards guy" or the slow dealing/easily distracted guy and your 15 minute level does not even get one orbit in before the blinds go up. As the tournament progresses and players are eliminated you can drop to 15 minutes and then even 10 minutes once 3 handed.

I always allow 1 rebuy if completely busted within the first hour. I do 20 minute levels so the end of level 3 ends the rebuy period and is the first break. My tourneys always start with 20 min levels and a break at the end of level 3 or the first hour. The rebuy for me is strictly to guard against the guy who hits a cooler early on (that was me at the first tourney I ever hosted where I went out on the first hand of the night. It was very boring to sit there all night.)

Me personally, I've never had a problem with people going all in at the end of the rebuy but it could be because my players are cheap and/or not rebuy strategy savy :) I actually don't mind if one guy wants to play silly just to get the rebuy in, I just hope I wake up with Aces when he does it :)

I know you said no addons but you could allow one addon at the end of the rebuy period for anyone who has not rebought. This way the rebuy is used for running into an early cooler and not just a reason to go all in on ATC at the end of the rebuy period. A short stack adding on is going to end up with more chips than a rebuy would get him so maybe he does not play silly and go all in at the end on every hand. The add-on will add to the prize pool which is always good. It does add more chips which could lengthen your tourney but you can also start doing 15 min levels after level 6 to mitigate.

4. mkruse02

mkruse02 Active Member

We are passing the deal. So 20 min may be a good idea....

Would the addon be just for those who are short-stacked then? I don't think you would want someone in the lead adding on another 1500, would you?

5. brianb10

brianb10 Premium Supporter
    Premium Supporter

You could set a limiter if you wanted. I never do because I want as much in the prize pool as possible lol. Funny thing is that even though you should always take an addon when its available, a lot of folks in home games won't. More so when they are the big stack as they think they don't need it and they don't want to pay more. You could try it both ways and see what you think. I believe your biggest negative might be the added time to your tournament when you increase the chips in play but I am not sure if you are trying to get done in a specified period of time or night.

6. mkruse02

mkruse02 Active Member

The time period is pretty flexible. We are looking at 2-4 hours. And given that everyone I play with is an economist with expertise in game theory..... they will all most likely take it or they will b**** and moan about how it isn't fair to those who don't want to spend as much.

7. big_alv77

big_alv77 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You may want to consider using 2 decks to help get more hands in per orbit and/or blind level. As the player in the dealer button position is dealing the current hand, the player in the highjack position (player before the button who just dealt) shuffles the deck that was previously used for the prior hand. He then gives it to the player in the SB (who will be dealer next hand). Just ensure that you have 2 different coloured decks so that each deck is distinguishable.

This 2-deck setup is a little tricky, at first, but your players should pick it up easily. It really improves the game flow and cuts down the "waiting around for the cards to be shuffled/dealt". If this works for you, then your blind structure and 15-minute levels should be fine. Good luck.

8. KingZilla

KingZilla Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned that we always use a 2 deck setup as well. Just as big_alv77 posted.

9. QuiQuog

QuiQuog Well-Known Member

We always play with unlimited rebuys until the first break. I don't see anything wrong with going all in while short stacked to double up or go busto to rebuy. With 6 -10 players there won't be many anyhow.

10. BGinGA

BGinGA Banned

For starters, I recommend adding a 40/80 level to balance out your proposed structure, avoiding the large increase from 30/60 to 50/100. All other increases are either 33% or 50%, with that one a whopping 17% out of the normal range (67%). Much better to add another level and replace that 67% jump with another 33% and a 25% increase (only 8% off the norm).

That done, your blind level times can be set to accommodate the number of players and the overall time you want the event to last. For example:

15 minute levels: 6 players = 2.5 hours, 10 players = 3.0 hours
    20 minute levels: 6 players = 3.5 hours, 10 players = 4.0 hours

Those times reflect typical maximums, and do not include breaks. They also do not include re-buys. Average number of re-buys in most tournaments is 20%-25% (sometimes less, sometimes more -- depends on the crowd, structure, and buy-in amount). For your structure and number of players, a typical re-buy tournament will add about 10-15 minutes to the estimated times listed above.

Nothing special about blind times in 5-minute increments, either. If you want your 8-player re-buy event to finish in 3.5 hours (plus breaks), just set the blind levels to 18 minutes.

11. Bloody Marvellous

Bloody Marvellous Well-Known Member

I was sure I responded to this post. It seemed so familiar. Then I remembered I saw this exact post on 2+2.