Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Home game help

Discussion in 'Tournament Structures' started by Anthony, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Hi everyone, I'm planning on purchasing a new 300pc chip set out of the chinese clay Pharaohs, Milanos or the Nevada Jacks. Intending on using them mostly for small buy-in tournaments with 4-6ish players with rebuys, with 25/50 starting blinds and was wondering what would be the most effective use of chips for say a 5k starting stack and probably 10-20 minute blinds if that changes anything. Thinking of ordering the following denominations: 25/50/100/1000 for the tournaments and hopefully some lower denominations for low cash games ($1/$5 chips) if there is enough space in my 300pc set.

Would a 5k starting stack with maybe 6 players max work fine with the above denominations and 300pc set?

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice :)

(I realise alot of you fellow chiptalkers don't like the idea of using the same set for both tournaments and cash games but I'm just having some friendy games with friends and am not bothered with the security risk)

2. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

Count me among those bothered by trying to make chips both tournament and cash, but I'll ignore that for the rest of this comment. :)

You do not need the 50s -- a total waste of chips. I think you could use some 500s. More specifically, here's what you could do:

80x25 (8 each)
    100x100 (8 each, 2 color up)
    40x500 (2 each, 2 color up, could go with fewer color ups, and if you did, I'd get larger chips, like 1000s or 5000s)
    50x1000 (3 each, plenty for color up)
    30x5000 (1 each if you go to 10,000 starting, rest for color up and re-buys)
    Total=300

That gives you room to expand to 10 players with 10,000 in chips. It gives you chips for re-buys. I don't see any real room for smaller value cash chips. 300 is about the minimum for a 10 player tournament. That will easily cover 6, but I'd always buy more than you are currently planning for. Two things that happen are the game grows, and you decide you want more chips per player.

Anthony likes this.
  3. atomiktoaster

atomiktoaster Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi! Welcome to chiptalk. First, get samples of the sets you're interested in. Second, the T50 isn't too useful. A 25/100/500/1000/5000 tournament setup is more standard. For 300 chips, 75/75/50/75/25 setup would be super flexible (you could do T30k stacks of 6x 12/12/3/10/2, or T10k with 12 rebuys ). You won't have two games going simultaneously by the sound of it, so some of the issues with shared sets don't apply. In that case, the easiest solution is to play the cash game at 1/100 of face value (T100=$1). Of course, there is the time-honored advice of "moar chips!" to consider... but no breakdown is perfect.

Anthony likes this.
  4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oops didn't mean to put the T50's in there but yeah thanks alot for the advice helped alot! :)

5. JeromyinWV

JeromyinWV ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

Sounds like it is a small game with few friends but be careful and make sure all tourney chips are accounted for. It would be easy to pocket a few chips in the tourney and reintroduce them in the cash game. It sucks when the bank comes up short.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I'm sure. thanks for your advice.