Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

High and Low Chicago

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by SheaJ, Dec 2, 2007.

1. SheaJ

SheaJ Well-Known Member

Does anyone else play High and Low Chicago?
    It is a version of 7 card stud with a little twist. In High Chicago whoever has the highest spade in the hole at the end of the hand wins half the pot, with the high hand winning the other half. Low is the opposite, lowest spade down gets half the pot(lowest card in low is 2 of spades, Ace is not low). It is a great game to keep people in and build big pots

I love this game and we play it alot in my home game, just wondering if anyone else plays this.

2. xtwalker

xtwalker Well-Known Member

Played a variant of that called 2 out of 3.

In order to win a pot you have to have 2 out of 3 things.

1) high chicago
    2) low chicago
    3) the best hand

If no one qualifies with 2 out of the 3 things, the pot stays out, everyone re-antes, and deal again. Once someone folds a hand in any round, they can not be dealt in subsequent hands for the pot if no one wins.

Now I am tripping on memories of why I loved and hated nickel dime dealers choice poker.

3. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Yeah, a little nostalgia here too. In Wisconsin kitchen-table games we played Low Chicago but called it "Dirty Spade." Cards spoke. That was back in the days when we played with actual nickels, dimes, quarters, and paper Bicycle cards, and you could get a game together like this [snaps fingers].

4. SheaJ

SheaJ Well-Known Member

yeah, this is a classic game I've played with my friends since we started playing poker when we were in high school. like you said, games were easy to start. played with the same paper cards and for $10 buy ins and super cheap chips. Funny to look back on now since we play with high quality stuff today.

5. AceDeuceNoUse

AceDeuceNoUse Well-Known Member

Ahem... some of us are still in those days...will be playing this exact format in the bi-monthly old-timers game this Thursday, thank you very much. :wink: (Well, except for the Modianos I bring...my hypocrisy only goes so far.)

For more "fun", try the variant (or was it the parent) called "The Bi**h" (not my name for it, that's what it's called)....if the Queen of spades is in the hole, it splits the pot; if it comes up open, the hand is over, everyone antes, a new deal starts (same dealer), and the pot begins at the size it was when the last hand ended (plus the new antes).

P.S. I'm making my own variant called "The Bastard", which is based on Baseball; 3's and 9's wild (3 outs, 9 innings), the bug is left in the deck. If the bug comes open, the hand is over. If it's in the hole, it splits the pot. An open 3 at any time requires the player to match the pot in order to continue. Try it and see how many conniptions take place. :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  6. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Circus game.

7. hachkc

hachkc Well-Known Member

Played quite a few times. I like the rule "Pair to protect" in which you need to have at least a pair in order for your hi/lo spade to qualifty. Keeps someone from betting/raising every round also, you might get some folks chasing with 3/K of spades too.

8. 2_hotty

2_hotty Well-Known Member

I play in a monthly dealers choice cash game where we play high chicago quit a bit.

We also play black mariah, which is when the queen of spades on the board kills all action, and everyone re-antes. Sort of like you "bi*ch" game AceDeuceNoUse.

9. jdunford

jdunford Donkey hunter
    Lifetime Supporter

High Chicago was my favourite game in high school. We used to play "cards speak". Then I got the opportunity to play it at a dealer's choice game in October, but where you had to declare spade-or-hand-or-both (using 0, 1, or 2 chips held in one hand under the table).

10. Bluegrass Poker

Bluegrass Poker Well-Known Member

I love those type games.....every once in a while. These games provided tons of fun back in college and for a few years after. My regular home game buddies and I still occasionally have a dealers choice night where we break out all these games. Low Chicago, 13/33, 5 card draw jacks or better, 3s and 9s, etc. Seems to take a lot of skill out of the game but still a ton of fun if done in moderation.

Last time we played it, we were playing Low Chicago, roll your own. You get your first 3 all dealt face down and choose which one to turn up. I thought I put the 2 of spades on the bottom of my 3. Oops I put it on top and turned the damn nut spade face up! LOL, I was slightly ticked at the time.

Oh well. One thing I have noticed is that the amount of fun in these games is directly proportional to the amount of alchohol consumed by the table.

11. Harlequin011

Harlequin011 Sin City Showdown Host

I really like playing Chicago. It's a good time.

I won't play it for real money anymore as you need to watch for mechanics...

12. tastic

tastic Well-Known Member

I was introduced to Chicago at TheDuke's DC game in Edmonton...it wasn't called that often but was fun when it was :)

13. AceDeuceNoUse

AceDeuceNoUse Well-Known Member

Definitely not for serious cash play, as these dealer's choice games are, as Bluegrass mentioned, usually accompanied by copious amounts of booze. It's a fun way to blow off steam for coffee jar change.

14. Bluegrass Poker

Bluegrass Poker Well-Known Member

you need better friends if they'll cheat you in dealers choice games like this.:stunned:

15. SheaJ

SheaJ Well-Known Member

haha. yeah, the guys in my game wont be catching any "hangers" anytime soon LOL

16. Harlequin011

Harlequin011 Sin City Showdown Host

It's not the players I play with. I won't play with a group that I think is shady. No reason too.

I wouldn't play this game above a 1/3 spread limit.

I trust all the players in a game, but I still watch them all closely. There was a game I used to play in over 10 years ago. There was some craziness going on there and I quit early and never went back.

17. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

When we play casual dealer's choice poker amongst family and friends highest spade in the hole is often the game of choice. Often it's accompanied by a called wild card too so you wind up with hands like 5 of a kind. :wink:

18. yellowleader25

yellowleader25 Active Member

I love this game...

We play the hi-low chicago with a special twist... the last card that should be dealt face-up is instead dealt face down and can become your "low" you then have to choose between your three hole cards on wich one you open up for everyone to see... hehe with this twist, some loose players like to stay in the hand even with no high for a chance to get the best low with the last card... :P

19. jdunford

jdunford Donkey hunter
    Lifetime Supporter

Wow, that was a huge bump.

Over the last 2 years, my baseball team gets together every few months to have a nickel-ante dealer's choice game... primarily variations on 7-card stud (hence my post from December 2007, above). We do "Kings and little ones", "follow the queen", and hi/lo Chicago.

We also played a variation called "High Al", named after the guy who came up with it. High Al is a combination of Follow the Queen and High Chicago: Half the pot goes to the high spade in the hole and the other half to the best hand, with Queens and whatever comes up immediately after the LAST Queen (e.g. to the next player) being wild... but it's played "no queen no game" which means if a Queen doesn't come up on board by 6th street, the cards are re-shuffled and re-dealt. Anybody who folded is still out. It can be frustrating, since if you're dealt :As in the hole and you jam the pot the whole way, then no Q shows up, you lose your nut spade. Also, it's played with a declare, so everyone who makes it to showdown has to declare whether they're going for hand, spade, or both by revealing 0, 1, or 2 chips in their closed fist. If you go for both but don't win both, you lose the whole pot to anybody else who qualifies - even if you had one portion won.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  20. yellowleader25

yellowleader25 Active Member

mmmm I like that, we'll try that for sure on our next game.. thanks!