Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Help me value my TR kings & various chips

Discussion in 'Chip Identity and Value' started by dimperdoo, Dec 19, 2015.

1. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    FWIW, I sold some of my Egyptian $5K plaques last spring/summer at $15 ea.

dimperdoo likes this.
  2. pokerpig

pokerpig Well-Known Member

Nobody will want those (sk's) and I don't think they are worth much... That being said I would take them for $300... as a favor to a fellow chipper.

awesome chips!

dimperdoo likes this.
  3. dimperdoo

dimperdoo Well-Known Member

lol; they cost more than that when they were new. IIRC, they would have been ~$1/chip but the 1/4 pies were more {i think $1.30 ~but it may have been $2} I wonder if warewulf or any of the others might remember more detailed than I do?

4. ledavatar

ledavatar Well-Known Member

My TRK Kings Crown double spotted chips were $0.86/chip, ordered right before TRK closed its doors. The 1/4 pies may have been more.

dimperdoo likes this.
  5. warewulf

warewulf Well-Known Member

Correct, the quartered chips were $2 each. I remember trying to talk Dennis into doing them. He was not budging on them until I offered $2 each. He then told me he would talk with his 'chip engineer' and get back to me.

As far as setting a value, sounds like people are on track in this thread. The breakdown is likely a factor since most play with 25 - 1000. However, I do think value could rise over time since more will keep their TRK sets and seeing one for sale will be rare.

The main thing to me with keeping or selling a set is whether it gets used or not. My SK set has been my main tournament set since I got it. I've thought about selling it, but know I would regret it shortly after the money was spent.

All I know is that if yours matched my set, I would be making you a good offer. :happy:
    I've always loved that quartered $5K chip. I have a few samples. If I was able to make the set again, I might have chosen that combo for my $1K.

GLWS. Please post a link in this thread so I can watch it. If I hit the $500 mil Powerball, I will be making you an offer.

dimperdoo likes this.
  6. dimperdoo

yeah, i bet .86 & $2 was the deal. seems like it fell just short of $400 shipped for the set of 300

thanks for chiming in warewulf. i've been trying to remember who all ordered. someone suggested i do the 3 color 1/4 pie so he could get a small amount & i liked the idea but can't remember the forumite. it would be nice if we got everyone's pix in one thread like we did back in the day. i can't find those pix now

7. JFCJ

JFCJ Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Gorgeous chips!

In my opinion, two factors limit the value of these chips.

1. Fantasy set.
    2. Lack of playable quantity.

If I already owned a set of these and needed these denominations, I might pay $4/chip. As it is, and FWIW, $3.5/chip tops.

dimperdoo likes this.
  8. warewulf

warewulf Well-Known Member

I just glanced at the original order spreadsheet: There were 5155 inlaid chips ordered, 500 hot stamped chips. I ordered an additional 320 hot stamps when I found out TRK was closing. One other ordered more hot stamps, don't recall the numbers.

dimperdoo likes this.
  9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

AMAZING looking chips, if I was a millionare I'd pick them up right now :P

10. dimperdoo

I'm seriously considering listing the SKs & the egyptians on e-bay. it's tough because i don't need-need to {i can pull it off without the extra scratch} but, it would grease the wheels a little & make things easier.

considering a $1000 reserve & $1200 BIN for the SKs ~i would update with a link in this thread should i overcome my reluctance {but, i may have to keep 1 of each as a sample set} ~297 chips

not sure what i'll ask for the egyptians ~maybe value the plaques & kind of throw in the chips? no, the chips are legit chipcos & no longer available ~better scratch my head some more

11. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

Valuing chips sets like these is going to be hard, inaccurate and highly volatile. There is not a big market for these. I would be shocked if there are more than 50 people on the face of the earth who want them badly enough to pay "market price".

There is no on-going market for items like these. We aren't going to track Ebay sales to see the ebb and flow of value. The value is not set by a broad universe of buyers and sellers. Most years there will be, at best, a couple of sellers and a couple of buyers mostly doing business in private ways.

The only way to actually know the value is to sell them. Anything else is an exercise in fantasy. Don't get me wrong - they are wonderful chips that can't be replicated or replaced. They are quite valuable to the right buyer, it is just there might only be a dozen prospective buyers not all of which are in the market to buy.

DrStrange

dimperdoo likes this.
  12. Seeking Alpha Social Club

Seeking Alpha Social Club Well-Known Member

Very nice chips!! I have been known to pay way more for chips than I probably should (e.g., the TRK Rounders that recently sold), so I may not be a good "fair value" gauge. However, I offer the following 2 cents worth of advice:

1. While the complete set may not be desirable given the breakdown, don't be afraid to offer them by the rack with a reserve that makes you happy. Buying 100 at a time is much easier to swallow for guys like me that LOVE the looks of TRKs on my shelf (even if they never get played).

2. DO NOT hold back a couple of chips as sample chips. Looking at less than a full rack is an absolute no go (for me anyway). I actually went from, "hmmm, might be worth considering to NO WAY" when I read that you were thinking about listing only 297 chips.

Anyway, just food for thought.

dimperdoo and liftapint like this.
  13. dimperdoo

you guys are right. I should just keep the whole set

the egyptians will definitely fetch some cash w/ the original chipco octagons & plaques which is plenty for what i'm looking towards

thanks everyone

14. dimperdoo

here's some photos of my samurai palace set. i got this to use as a small cash set & it's gotten very minimal use {i have 2 other sets which i use for cash games} i actually don't recall using it at all but i know we have handled them and toyed around w/ them. really nice blue chip offering. it's truly a shame they languished after improving the process to this point.
    S_P_set.jpg
    i have a dealer button as well:
    S_P_DB.jpg
    interesting, one $5 chip is mis-labeled on the white side as a $100. i put this in one of these collector thingies & it's been there all along
    S_P_mistrike.jpg
    i see the samurais are on holdempoker in limited quantities