Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Handling Limpers

Discussion in 'Cash Game / Ring Game Advice' started by links_slayer, Jul 1, 2007.

1. links_slayer

links_slayer Master of the 3-Putt Par
    Lifetime Supporter

Played in a 9 player cash game last night that only lasted an hour and a half. I was pi$$ed.

Everyone limped in and folded to any raise I put out there. They said they were gonna cash out if I didn't stop raising so often. I was so hot under the collar that I almost lost it. I finally decided to start limping in too with hands like JQs, 77, and AKo and would lose to 45o and 73s.

Should I have just kept raising with marginal to above average hands, take their chips, let them get upset, cash out, and leave?

2. Diablo_Rojos

Diablo_Rojos Well-Known Member

WTF. Keep raising then cashout and leave.

3. Wooderson

Wooderson Well-Known Member

Either that or turn to the host and say something like, "I thought you said this was going to be a poker game, not a dance recital" or "Chirst, I thought we were playing poker, not airing out our p#$$!3$."

4. Magic Koala

Magic Koala Well-Known Member

Agree, they should be a little bit more competitive and come prepared to win (or lose). I don't think their behavior was very gentlemanly!

5. links_slayer

Lifetime Supporter

ROFLMAO! I'll try this next time. We were playing .25/.50 NL so when I raised I was only getting about a buck fifty or 2 bucks each hand. Don't get me wrong, it's better than losing that much each hand, but it was getting ridiculous.

6. OnTheButton

OnTheButton Well-Known Member

Not being able to raise pre-flop is taking a very necessary part of the game away from any and all players. Hold Em is designed to allow you to increase your odds of winning by limiting the playing field through increased betting.

You might as well deal Hold Em with an ante and let everyone play the flop. Heck you might as well let them discard their hole cards and draw two more from the deck, if they don't like the first two.
    :sorry:

Silly, just plain silly. Ask them if they would rather play Gin Rummy for pretzel sticks and bottle caps next time.

7. h-train

h-train Well-Known Member

I actually had the same thing happen once, except they didn't threaten to quit. They kept commenting and complaining everytime I raised though and I just kept saying, thats just the way I play. They didn't invite me back, and even though I did pretty well that night, i really didn't want to play with those guys again anyways. I hate listening to whining and complaining when I'm playing poker. Thats my time to enjoy myself, if i wanted whining and complaining I would stay at home with the wife and kids.

Chris

8. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

I would have said, "Why don't you want me to raise? Don't they raise on tv? I was playing like I was on tv! Is that not the right way to play?"

If it were me, I would have limped a couple times during an orbit and then relied on my reading skills to outplay them afterwards. It sounds to me like these guys were new to poker and you probably could read them like books.

That or I would mix it up a few times with em and donk off all of my chips... that's usually how I play poka!!

9. Hokemon

Hokemon Faux Clay Nation

Amen.

10. links_slayer

Lifetime Supporter

I don't know how long they have been playing, but they were pretty easy to read. Of course, limping in and only betting the flop if they got a piece of it made it pretty easy. I did find it incredibly difficult to limp in with big hands, but it was pretty gratifying when they hit middle pair on the flop against my overpair.

11. Poboy

Poboy Well-Known Member

I can't imagine anyone with a penis actually saying 'Hey, quit playing good or I'll go home' and not having it suck up into their body, ashamed.

12. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

If by raising, you get their chips, keep doing it.

13. HarrysAllOut

HarrysAllOut Faux Clay Nation

Media:
    Albums:
    Tell them to re-raise you if they don't like your raising.

14. hod

hod Well-Known Member

I'd be more than happy to play in this game, sooner or later someone would call you, but only with monster hands by the sound of it. I'm saying this, but maybe, like you, i'd just end up being bored or frustrated grinding out small pots.

15. projectaero

projectaero Well-Known Member

i would defiantly say keep raising then cash out, being carefull of limpers who might raise ie picking up high pockets.
    it was like me when i played against a guy who folded always in heads up, i got frustrated went all in every hand and he called and took my money.

16. CK15c

CK15c Faux Clay Nation

I'd say keep raising. Get what you can before they wimp out and leave. I once played an online heads-up sit and go on Stars months ago where I was raising almost every hand, and the other guy was pretty upset. He kept saying that this isn't fun for him! I thought that was funny but kept on raising saying it was fun for me as very seldomly would we see a flop and I'd win uncontested.

Basically, there's no room for whining and idle threats at the poker table. Would you have kept raising if they said they just didn't like it but didn't threaten to cash out? Seems like they just need to get over it and learn how to play. :)

17. whataboutj

whataboutj TAG extrodinare

Is this the same crew you posted about Bitchin about the blinds a couple weeks ago? Sounds like a fun time :wink:

18. yeltzen

yeltzen Well-Known Member

Bring a box of tampons for everyone next time.

19. links_slayer

Lifetime Supporter

Unfortunately, no...different group. I think I may need to find some new people to play with.

20. links_slayer

Lifetime Supporter

I knew I could count on you for the best advice :happy: