Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Guardforce GDS-7200 Series Gun Case Review

Discussion in 'Poker Gear Reviews' started by DJ Qube, Feb 13, 2006.

1. DJ Qube

DJ Qube Active Member

Manufacturer: GuardForce (distributed in US though Vanguard)
    Retailer(s): Gun Accessories, USA Optics, Explore Products, Digitally Unique
    Average Price: $40 - $100 depending on size.
    Material: Impact resistant ABS side panels and metal reinforced corners, eggcrate interior foam
    Member Review by: DJ Qube
    I looked online at all sorts of poker chip cases, laptop cases, tool cases, gun cases, etc. I wanted a case that let me lay out my 650 chips the way I wanted together with 4 decks of cards, buttons, card protector, etc., but also would let me add more chips later on down the line if I needed to expand my collection. I wanted 7 rows of 100 chips with room on the end of the rows for the other goodies.

Quote from their website...

The Guardforce GDS-7200 line has been expanded to include more of the sizes you've been asking for. Up to now, there hasn't been a tactical gun case on the market. The GDS-7260C case is now available to fill that need. Impact resistant ABS side panels and metal reinforced corners add additional strength and substance to this best selling series. The pistol cases include combination locks, while the larger cases also contain key locks. No matter what features you're looking for, they're available within the expanded Guardforce gun case line.

[​IMG]
    Price
    I didn't want to get the typical cheap aluminum case for $20, but also didn't want to spend $100+ for a pressurized, watercooled, bulletproof Komodo Dragon cage with lining by Victoria's Secret. The Guardforce Multiple Pistol case was a good solution for me. My total cost was $40.95 + $7.95 shipping from www.digitallyunique.com
    I recommend going to a (typically overpriced) gun supply website to find the exact case you want, then doing a price search for that model #. Chances are the best price will not be from a gun supply website.

Weight & Dimensions
    Varies according to case size. GDS-7236C Multiple Pistol Case model as follows:
    •Outside: 18 x 14 x 4 1/2
    •Inside: 17 1/2 x 13 1/2 x 4
    •Weight: 5.51 lbs, 6.45 lbs with packaging

Other case sizes and weights can be found here...(LINK)
    Capacity
    Varies according to case size. My GDS-7236C multiple pistol case snugly holds 700 chips in 7 rows of 100, with just enough room for KEM card cases at the end of the rows. The slightly deeper bottom side of the case has one removable piece of eggcrate foam about 1-1/2" thick, with another piece of flat 1/2" foam underneath it glued in place. The topside has a single piece of eggcrate foam about 1-1/2" thick glued in place. Pick & Pluck foam would probably be nice for some people, but I couldn't take advantage of it anyway, since I would be using a custom chip tray to store my chips (More on this later).
    The various pieces of foam that come with the case completely fill the case, So if you use those clear plastic chip boxes to store your chips, you can simply cut pockets in the foam to the size and number of chip boxes you have to store them that way. ​
    Looks
    Panels are a textured black ABS plastic, corners are chromed metal. Edges are advertised as metallic grey, but have a slight hint of a root beerish tint to them. Handle is also chromed metal with a smooth plastic underside with no seams, making the case very easy to hold with weight in it. The base has four rubber feet.​
    Security
    Case has two 3-digit combination locks which can be set to different combinations, effectively making 6-digit security. With the combination correct, you push the square buttons to the outside and a spring loaded latch pops open. The latching is done between a flat metal bar getting pushed through a 1/8" thick loop on the latch, seems pretty sturdy. The corners, handle, hinges, locks are all riveted on. Another thing to note is that the latches cannot latch unless the combination is entered correctly. I would rather not have it this way, but it is more a matter of preference. One downside I have with the locking mechanism is that it seems fairly easy to change the combination. The combination is changed by simply pushing the square button to the side then moving the tumblers while the case is open. It might be a good idea to make sure to close the case when you're not using it. Hopefully nobody changes your combination on you, or it might be time to bring out the sledgehammer (see section on Durability).

Quality
    As many people use country of origin to determine quality, I should note that this case is made in China. Construction is very clean, no glue gobs, exposed edges, or scratches noticeable. Edging overlaps side panels, and corners overlap edging very well, so there are no exposed cuts or edges. Handles are quite sturdy feeling with absolutely no play in the handle hinges. Pushing on all the panels and corners does not reveal any shifting of parts, and twisting the case back and forth in your hand when holding it by the handle also reveals no movement of parts. A sturdy lid hinge mechanism stops the lid angle at 90 degrees when you open it and is positioned in such a way that it will stay open at 90 degrees without having to hold it open. Combination tumblers feel a bit loose and have a bit of a sloppy fit compared to the bicycle lock I used to have when I was a kid, but they get the job done. Not including the looseness of the tumblers, I would give this case construction a 9.5/10.​
    Durability
    I didn't try breaking in the case, but if you forgot the combination, you could probably smash this thing to pieces with a sledgehammer. I don't recommend doing it. I also just got the case, so I have no comment on long term durability here.​
    Reviewers Comments
    I decided to purchase this case to meet the following requirements...

1) Wanted something sturdier than a generic $20 aluminum chip case.
    2) Wanted to stay within a budget (<$100 total)
    3) Wanted to fit my 650 chips + cards & buttons snugly, with no wasted space.

1) Sturdiness - I do have experience with military grade Anvil cases, which are also made of ABS panels with metal corners and edges, so I know this case is definitely not as sturdy as that. However, this case is definitely sturdier than the generic aluminum chip cases I've seen. The handle, which is a typical weak point of cheap cases, seems to be attached very securely. The case feels very nice when being carried because the mostly metal handle is nice and thick, and has a one-piece plastic underside. One thing I usually don't like about plastic handles is that the manufacturing process usually leaves a mold line through the center which can dig into your fingers when there is weight on the handle, but by making just the underside of the handle out of a single piece of plastic, this issue is avoided. Good job on the designer's part here. There is no skimping on rivets here, either. The two lid hinges are attached by a total of 16 rivets, the two combination locks attached by a total of 8, and the handle is attached by another means, most likely threaded fasteners, but I couldn't tell without peeling the backing away from the inside of the case. Even the triangular logo is held in place with 3 rivets.

2) Budget - my grand total of just under $50 shipped for the case was well worth it. For an additional $20 or so from a shipped cheap case, I definitely feel I got my money's worth. I did spent an additional $40 on some plastic stock and glue from a hardware supply store to make my custom chip rack, but I still kept my total price under $100.

3) Chip Fitment - Before even looking for the case I wanted, I laid out all my chips, cards, buttons, etc the way I wanted to store them. With 7 rows of 100 chips, hard plastic Kem cases, etc., I needed a case 17-1/2" long by 13" wide. This is slightly larger than a laptop case, so that route was not possible. I went to Lowes to look at the tool case that many others on this site are using, but the case was larger and bulkier than I needed.

This case has more than satisfied my requirements. Like high quality and custom chips, homemade poker tables, etc., This case is yet another way to show your individuality and love for the game.
    Pictures

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's the chip rack I made for the case...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]