Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Greg's Raymer's domination at the 2004 WSOP!

Discussion in 'Poker on TV and in Movies' started by Limit Breaker, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Limit Breaker

Limit Breaker Well-Known Member

I was watching ESPN last night and they replayed the 2004 final table with commentary from Greg Raymer. I've seen the replay of the event before but never with commentary.

I really enjoyed watching how he controlled that table. He looks so intimidating and those glasses really do work. Whenever he's pushing those $25000 stacks he always looks at his opponent (or his glasses do). I found that interesting. I think most players look at the chips they are pushing in.

So basically I wanted to discuss the advantages of glasses. I don't use them. Never have and will consider using them. One obvious advantage is that it hides your reactions well, and you can face one way but look another.

But there are some great players who don't use glasses:

Dan Harrington (possibly the best poker face), Daniel Negraneau, Barry Greenstein comes to mind.

2. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

i'd wear them if i knew i was seriously outclassed. i think they help protect you from being read. not by amateurs, though. i've never worn them, but i guess i would if i were playing wpt or wsop events.

i guess... :?

3. 2_hotty

2_hotty Well-Known Member

I only wear them when I play online.

Seriously though, I wear them everytime. I don't wear them to hide my reactions, or tells, I wear them so I can look around the table without anyone knowing where I'm looking. People act differently when they know you're watching them. If they have no idea, it's a lot easier to pick up little things.

4. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

I don't wear them. All I need is to misread my own cards, that can be costly. :sad:

5. chipper57AA

chipper57AA Well-Known Member

Eye's are only a small part of your face. You can hide your eyes but your facial expressions can also give away a lot as well.

Consider wearing a full face hockey mask with built in shaded eye sockets to your next poker game. That way you can grimace all you want when you see a crappy flop.
    :evil:

6. pager23

pager23 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be entering my first live tournament (aside from home games) in a couple weeks, and I'm wondering if I should be wearing glasses, a hat, sit on my hands, etc.

Any other advice?

Actually, I'll probably be pretty hard to read due to the fact that I'll have completely psyched myself out...

7. smoore

smoore Creativity Alliance

I wear eyeglasses so sunglasses are out of the question. I would only wear them if I thought I was outclassed.

I wear a baseball hat all the time. It definitely helps at a poker table, just to shade your eyes. Also, the forehead is the hardest to control facial muscle.

Before you go, decide what you're going to do with your hands. Hands are a HUGE source of tells. You're not going to be able to do much about them shaking, only experience takes care of that. But basically, practice getting your cards, squeezing them and then protecting them with your bauble or a chip. Do this over and over and over and OVER before you go. You will have quite a bit to think about, better make sure that the one thing EVERY player at the table is looking at will be done by rote.

Heh, as an aside, I have a tell on one of my home game regulars:

Bet with right hand: decent hand or a draw/semibluff
    Bet with left hand: MONSTER
    Bet with both hands: bluff

I'm NEVER going to tell him :happy:

8. poker_princess

Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. If you feel that not having the glasses will give away to much then bring them. You can also use them to drstract players. Putting them on and takin them off all the time no mattter what your hand is will get players to think everytime you bet or check.

9. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

smoore, you can have your prescription glass tinted if you really need to hide your eyes. :happy:

10. Limit Breaker

Limit Breaker Well-Known Member

I find the most obvious physical tell is speech pattern. I look for loudmouths at the table. Many subconsciously just shut up when bluffing.

Also, when someone is shortstacked and bets, I sometimes ask how much they have. The Bluffers generally try to to aphease me by counting their chips to represent that they aren't afraid of a call. You can detect quivers in their voice because no one really likes counting their chips when they're bluffing because they're afraid of being put all-in.

Those holding good hands usually don't bother counting or saying anything.

11. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

I like that part about the loudmouth tell. I will have to watch for that next time I play and see if it is true. I have the feeling that you are right. :happy:

12. scottoc

scottoc Well-Known Member

I wonder if thats allowed. I'd consider it. A nice Darth Vader mask could possibly be intimidating :shocked:

13. Johnny5

Johnny5 ·°· Chip Artist ·°·
    Lifetime Supporter

Reminds me of an old 2+2 thread (can't find it?), where there was talk about a welder's mask or full ninja suit with little smoke bombs so no one could get a read... :cool:

14. pager23

pager23 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great response.

As far as the tell you've got on this guy, how often do you have to cover that you've figured it out? Do you find that you have to bet into his "monster" a little bit so that he doesn't get suspicious? or, let him have his bluff sometimes if the pot didn't have much in it to start with?