Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Gaaaa! A hand from last night...

Discussion in 'Poker Stories and Bad Beats' started by OnTheButton, Jun 21, 2008.

1. OnTheButton

OnTheButton Well-Known Member

Still reeling about this one, but have to laugh as well. Such a silly game this NLHE is!

We play a micro cash game, and all start with $10 in chips with .5/.10 blinds. We used to play .50/$1 so our regulars respect hands and raises, and the play is not much different than if it were at higher stakes.

I've worked my way to about $45 by playing some of my best poker in many weeks. I'm patient, aggressive in the right spots, and willing to risk my stack several times and it pays me off.

So I'm on the button , with a :6h :6c and there are 10 players at our full table. Tasty little flop worth hand, but not worth too much of a raise, especially since I'm last to act.

Someone in an early seat raises it to .40 and oddly enough there are 5 callers before it comes back to me. I make the call the SB folds, and the BB calls. I then sit back and watch the flop magically unfold:

:7s :6d :7h

Nice.

I'm sitting back and waiting to see what happens. There is only about $3 in the pot, and I'm trying to figure out how to get squeak as much out of this flop as possible.

One of the early players makes a pot sized bet. Most of the other callers fold except one, and I make the flat call. There is probably about $12 in the pot now.

The turn brings.

:2c

Perfect.

With only 3 players left, I again contemplate how to build the pot up on this street, the table breaks open with betting. Of the two remaining active players, the early seat makes a push all in for about $17. We now have around $30 in the pot.

Much to my surprise the middle player pushes all in, over the top for about $30 trying to get me out of the hand and isolate against player 1.

I stall for a moment, check my cards a few times, and push all of my chips in as well, pretending that I've got a hard decision to make. The side pots are established, and I actually end up with about $4 back in my stack. I've got them both covered, and now stand to rake down about a $100 pot, and I didn't even have to take the chance of scaring anyone off with a lead out bet.

We decide to flip our cards before the river, tournament style, since betting is over between all 3 players.

I slow roll my cards, and everyone shrinks back with a collective, "Oh crap."

Middle player shows:

:As :6s

Late player shows:

:Ah :Ad

With my flopped house, I can practically taste the cash on the table.

Who wants to guess what the river brought?

You guessed it.

:7d

I sit stunned for a moment, and then bust out laughing.

Gaaaaaa!

Thank you for your time, I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
    :stunned:

EDIT: I mixed up a few cards after calling someone else that was in the hand.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. __JR__

__JR__ Well-Known Member

I must not be getting something here... where's the third boat? Or did the player think he had a boat, explaining the laughter?

Screw regular programming, I need an explanation!

3. wafflestomper

wafflestomper Well-Known Member

somehow your post doesn't add up.

6, 6, 7, 2, 7 on the board and he has AA to make a full house? Did I miss something?

4. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Me, too! :?

5. OnTheButton

Oops, fixing the post now.

That'll teach me to post before coffee.

6. Irish Se7en

Irish Se7en Insane Irish
    Lifetime Supporter

Now that's sick. :stunned:

You played the hand well and the river "just done" you in.:shocked:

When I read the initial thread (before the edit) I was trying to figure out how you lost. Too bad you didn't have the lucky Se7en. :wink:

7. OnTheButton

Yeah, sorry about the first version.

I actually busted out a deck of cards and ran it again with my wife, based on what we recollected and some of you posters observations.

I made a phone call to the guy I was out-drawn by, and asked him, "What happened again? I can't see how you won..."

Luckily he was with another player from that night, who (read: sober) corrected my memory, that I did indeed flop a house, but I had pocket 6's, not a 7, 6. Then everything fell into place and made sense.