Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Funny yet disturbing all in

Discussion in 'Poker Stories and Bad Beats' started by bub, May 1, 2005.

1. bub

bub Active Member

So I'm at a Rockford Charitable Games http://www.rockfordcharitablegames.com single table last night with the big stack. I'm sitting pretty with ~2600. Blinds are 100 200 and I'm early.
    I look and see JJ Sweet. 600 should get me some action. Next guy goes all in for 750 then 2 folds then an all in for 850 another fold then all in for 2k. What to do. Well this is my best preflop all tourney so I call it. The four of us turn over the hands?? AA, KK, QQ, and my JJ. Gimme an F... Gimme a U... Gimme a C... you know the rest. Someone said they folded a J9 ouch. Board 10, 7, 10, something, 10. 2 elims and I'm short stack. SUCK.
    BUB

2. tomb1

tomb1 Well-Known Member

I think somebody had in their signature something like, "Pocket Jacks -- can't win with 'em, can't win against 'em, can't fold 'em!"

How true. But you don't HAVE to push all in with 'em.... I hate that hand.

3. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

You're early position, only invest 3xBB, and have 3 all in's after you? You still have 10xBB left. Very easy laydown. Don't even have to think about it.

4. Murf

Murf Well-Known Member

With all those raises and reraises in front of you, and the fact that you have plenty of chips to go, and are not pot commited, adds up to an easy laydown. If two people went all in, you have to figure atleast one of the has KK AA or AKs, all of which put you at somewhat of a disadvantage.

5. VARoadstter

VARoadstter Now just a loudmouth
    Lifetime Supporter

With all that action I really would have just mucked 'em.

6. TomHimself

TomHimself Well-Known Member

ez fold

7. Clonexx

Clonexx Well-Known Member

Too much action in front of you with an OK hand at best in that situation and you were nowhere near pot commited =(

Fold my man, fold fold fold.

8. Bhudio

Bhudio Well-Known Member

I can see you making the initial bet with JJ, but when you've got so many callers and as all-in you just gotta know you're beat. JJ is a good hand to go all-in with but not a great hand to call an all-in with.

9. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Well you played it right initially with the raise. Calling the first all in that was only 150 more than the 600 you put in would make sense. Maybe even calling the 2nd all in that was 250 more than what you put in. Seems like pretty good pot odds at that point for only 250 more. You should have folded though when the 2K stack went all in. At that point you let him eliminate (hopefully) one or both of the other all-ins and consider the initial bet a pay per view fee.

10. bub

bub Active Member

I agree with all you guys. There were a few factors that allowed me to stay in.
    1. I was late getting home and my wife was calling me (Ouch)
    2. It was the best hand I had all night.
    3. The big stack had gone all in 3 times before with NOTHING (he showed) just to steal the pot.
    4. I was on a rush from eliminating 2 others in the last 2 hands.
    5. I was going to get the a$$ chewing when I got home if this didn't end soon.
    BUB

11. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

2,3 and 4 are not good reasons to call. In fact, 3 and 4 are actually good reasons to fold, IMO (aside from the fact that THREE other people are all in!).

1 and 5, :shocked: hrm. Good reasons I guess. Tough to play a tournament with a time frame involved.

12. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

i'm with monkey and the boys. this is an easy fold. with JJ in early position, i'm happy to raise, and happy to be given overwhelming evidence that i need to lay it down.

btw, according to my calculator:
    if the last pusher has a group 1-3 hand, and the first two guys have random hands (your best possible scenario), you're 36% to win. now, that's better than your 25% fair share...but not good enough, i guess.

13. hayaku

hayaku Well-Known Member

Ive seen a hand like that in one of the games i go to. 3 people all in pre flop, they were holding AA, KK, QQ... but the guy holding the Q's won with a set at the river.

14. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

This reminds me of the hand that took out Dagonstino on the WPC. He had KK with 1 chip left after Hoyt cleaned him out with quad 7s (that was brutal), and the guy to his left and the one across from him had JJ & QQ and both made a set on the flop.

15. panthershutch15

panthershutch15 Well-Known Member

I saw that a few weeks back. I liked watching D'Agostino on the tournament on FSN (at Turning Stone), but him pushing over his chips at the final table after getting screwed against Hoyt's quads made me lose all respect for him...That made him look terrible. Unless I missed something or the camera missed something, he is a baby :cry:

16. TomHimself

i think john was fine. hoyt just sucked out and kept asking for him to count his chips, he asked for a count like 3x. there was nice post about it on 2+2 awhile ago. i still like john

17. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

That scene made me cringe, but I really felt bad for the guy. He went from being able to coast into the final table to nothing in the span of a few hands. I'm sure anyone who's played a tournament or two can relate to his situation there. I think the last straw was Hoyt wanting him to push his chips over to him, the tourney director or dealer should have taken care of that part.

18. Bhudio

Bhudio Well-Known Member

Yeah but did you see the way he acted after he lost the hand. Don't get me wrong, I'd be furious too, having made the right call just to get quads slapped in my face, but come on....grow up..... and if stuff like that never happened in poker they wouldn't call it "poker". He's a great player but still has alot to learn as far a class is concerned. But then again I could name probably a dozen more names too.

19. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, and he really is still a kid too, so he's still got a few years to mature. Gotta cut him a little slack for that. Still a pretty good player though, I was impressed with his heads up match against Phil Ivey.

20. TomHimself

that was a great HU match. you really got to see every hand and not jsut see edited stuff. i think it was a great show. and as phil ivey said as poker becomes more popular it might become like golf where there are 4 hour time slots for tv. this would be great because you could really see every hand