Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Fournier Cards Review

Discussion in 'Poker Gear Reviews' started by 99%evil, Dec 14, 2005.

1. 99%evil

99%evil Banned

Manufacturer: Heraclio Fournier Vitoria
    Retailer(s): Hudson News (no U.S. on-line sellers found for this specific card)
    Average Price: $19.99 USD
    Material: 100% PVC Playing cards, double deck(red.blue), bridge size, super index, 55 card decks
    Member Review by: 99%evil
    I was anxious to get a set of PVC cards and rather than wait to order Kems on-line I purchased these cards from a magazine store. I have found very little info on retailers in the U.S. on-line. Fournier is a Spanish card company under the USPC umbrella.
    Price
    $19.99 USD for a double deck (no shipping, retail store). There are two 55 card bridge-sized super-index decks (red/blue). These are slightly smaller than a KEM bridge size(about 3/64” smaller all around). Included is a divided clear double deck plastic box marked with the company logo. The box divider is basically two crappy little tabs on either side of the box that allow the top cards migrate from one side to another. Price is a C (pricy, but expected with mall markup). Box gets a C+.​
    Feel
    The feel is one thing I really like about these cards, they have a rougher texture than KEMs and Copags, as is visible in the KEM comparison shot below. They are not as slippery as KEMs or Copags and are close to Dal Negro, a deck will stay in place without the top cards floating off. These cards are also thicker than KEMs and Copags and have a more substantial feel. They bend a bit stiffer than a KEM, but spring right back to flat. They shuffle a bit harder than a KEM or Copag deck, which can be attributed to the thicker stiffer card. Feel gets a solid B.
    Looks
    Nothing overly dramatic about the looks of these cards, the backs have a plain pattern lacking a logo or graphic. The face cards have typical pictures and do not have any flair that discern them from any other cards. There is an ivory center to the numbered cards similar to the super index cards from Dal Negro and Modiano. The Ace of spades is rather subdued in comparison to other cards (KEM, Dal Negro, etc.), and peculiar to these cards is that the 4 of clubs has an extra notation on it, it lists the company name and card type(see picture below). I'm not sure of the significance of the 4 of clubs to Fournier, just a bit odd that this card is singled out. Looks get a C(a little too plain).
    [​IMG]
    Side by side of Fournier and Dal Negro Freedom super index wide​
    Security/Originality
    These are a mass produced card and therefore are not very secure, other than the fact that they’re not easy to find in the U.S., so it would be a little difficult to get hold of a deck, unless you went to the mall and stumbled across these like I did. Security is a C(which is about what every card is).​
    Durability
    These cards appear very durable. After about 12 hours of play there is no sign of use; no dents, cracks or scratches. Durability is an A (these things are tanks)​
    Reviewers Comments
    If you like cards that aren't as slippery and flimsy as KEM or Copag these cards may be worth trying. The cards feel very substantial and are easy to read. They are a bit smaller than average and are nice for games where multiple cards are held in hand. They aren’t the most beautiful cards, but are very functional and can take a beating. Overall these are a B (these are chevrolet cards, not too cheap not too fancy, get the job done and are solid)​
    Card Pictures
    All Pictures with comparisons have Fournier on the left and KEM Arrows (USPC) on the right

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
    1 person likes this.