Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

First Annual SpaceMonkey Poker Open

Discussion in 'Poker Stories and Bad Beats' started by SpaceMonkey, Jul 8, 2005.

1. SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

The big day has arrived. Day 1 of the SpaceMonkey Poker Open, July 9, 2005. First hand will be dealt at noon. The first day will end at 10:30 pm, at the end of level twelve. Day 2 is scheduled to start at 2:00 pm on Sunday July 10.

A few last minute cancellations and some late additions leaves us with 15 entries. Tournament structure and background can be found here: http://chiptalk.net/forum/tournament-structures/8167-how-long-will-tournament-last.html?highlight=tournament

Quick summary: $125; T10,000; 2 day, 12-14 hour tournament. (15 players)

The tables are all set up, the blinds (without sounds :sad: ) are on my laptop, the food is ready and so is the grill. There's a chance of thundershowers around the dinner break, so I hope they hold off. I don't want to be soaked cooking for everyone and then still have to play for another 3 hours!

I doubt I'll have time during the tournament to post updates, but I will if I get a chance.

As the pictures show, I got some cheap medallions for 1st-3rd place, and a nice turkey trophy for whoever gets knocked out first. I can't wait to see how people react when they find out about the turkey! (I was going to give TJ Cloutier's book out at a last place prize, but I figured the turkey at least has some redeeming qualities as a consolation prize)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  2. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

Can't wait to hear how it turns out!!

I know it will be worth the time and effort!!!!

Good Luck!!!

3. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it will be fun, wish I was there. :)

4. JustinHEMI04

JustinHEMI04 Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome... just wondering how I can bust out a 20 person game in 3 hours when a 15 person game takes 15 hours? :)

Justin

5. leetpants

leetpants Well-Known Member

Looks awesome!

Where did you get that octagon table? Im looking for one similar, thanks!

6. KYBill

KYBill Well-Known Member

Nice set up , I love that tables !

7. SpaceMonkey

Wow, what a wild and crazy day. I'm and physically and mentally exhausted, but I'll try and get through the day's highlights while everything is still in my head.

Everything ran smoothly, and everyone seemed to have a great time. Right before we started, I said we may still have all the players when we break for dinner, and someone else said we'd be down to one table ( 8 ) by dinner. Again, the blind schedule is in my other thread. See my OP here for the link. With T10,000 to start, and a WSOP style relaxed blind schedule, dinner came after the 300-600 (75) level. As it turned out one of us was right, and one was (obviously) way way wrong.

Right before noon, I fire up the TD seating assignments. Since I just got the small oval table and refelted it with black suited speed cloth last weekend, my only stipulation as host was that I would be seated at that table. We had 15 to start, so that also meant this table would start off 7 handed. As it turned out, the differences between the two tables were like night and day. The seating chart:

Code:
    Table 1                  Table 2
    -------------------------------------------
    Mr. Cash Game            Mr. Staredown
    Junior                   The Kid
    The Girlfriend           The Great One
    The Godfather            Mr. Weak-Tight
    Mr. Aggressive           The Host
    The Storyteller          Mr Solid
    The Thinker              FNG
    Mr. 3x

Round One
    Noon rolls around on the clocks. Shuffle up and deal! Not everyone is seated yet, and one person is still 15 mintues away. Lots of limping early on at my table (Table 2). Of note, The Great One wins a 2k pot against the FNG. The Great One had A :heart: K :heart: , and made a backdoor flush after a Kxx flop. The only hand of consequence I had during level 1 was with 77 iUTG. I open-limp, and The Kid min-raises; both the blinds and myself call. Flop comes 442 rainbow. The Great One leads out for 200, and I raise to 400 to see where I stand. The Kid cold calls, and both blinds fold. Turn is an 8, and we both check. River brings a 7, and I lead out for 700. The Kid open folds 55. At the end of round 1, The Host has 10,600.

Meanwhile things are already loud and crazy over on table 1. The Thinker made his open-ended broadway draw on the river. The board paired tens, which gave Mr. "3x" quads! The Thinker is down to 5500, and Mr "3x" is just getting warmed up. Shortly after that, I overhear someone from table one shout out "The Turkey is calling...".

Round Two
    Level 2, table 2. Mr. Weak-Tight flops the nut straight with QJs and check calls all the way down against FNG. I pick up QJs myself in the SB, with only 1 limper. I complete, and the flop comes A43 rainbow. Checked all around, so no A is out there. Turn comes a 4, and 3 more checks. River brings another 4. Mr Solid bets out, and I fold while saying "I think my Q is good". Mr Solid shows 4 :heart: 3 :heart: !!! He flopped 2 pair, made a boat on the turn, and improved to quads on the river! And got no action. Yes, we were a tight and careful table. I end level 2 down to 9600.

Back at table 1, Mr "3x" is still increasing his stack and getting very aggressive. I hear The Girlfriend (of Mr Aggressive) say she's all in. I fold my hand and rush over to see the action. Board was JT8(A)(J) rainbow. The Thinker has 4k in front of him and The Girlfriend has about 7k. The Thinker takes his time, and says how much he didn't like that second J. The Girlfriend retorts "Oh, there's a J out there?" A minute later, the Thinker open folds KQo!! Still gunshy from that last broadway when he ran into quads. The Girlfriends shows A4s.

Round Three
    Level 3 and I limp in MP with 76s. Five to the flop of 854. Checked to FNG who bets 400. I'm the only caller. Turn brings a 9, and we both check. River pairs the 4 which I'm not too happy about, but I still bet 1000. I get called and MHIG. I go into the first break with 13,200. Mr. Solid has about 18k, and The Great One has 14k. The others at our table are all under their starting stacks.

Round Four
    We're 8 minutes into level four when The Girlfriend is all in again. This time she's up against the big stack, Mr. "3x". The board is A9x9x. She has A7s, but he has AKo. The Girlfriend wins the Turkey! Mr. "3x" is over 30,000 in chips, and ready to bully the table continuously.

Back at our table, The Great One is in a pot against FNG. Board is Q74, and The Great one leads out with a pot sized bet of 700. FNG raises to 2000. The Great one goes all in for another 4900. FNG takes his time and thinks. Finally he decideds to call with AA. Scared of the trips, but The Great One is ready to go home when he flips over QTs. The turn is a T, and FNG is sick, but takes it quite well.

The pots on table 1 continue to grow. Everyone there is not only aggressive, but apprarently impatient, as the blinds are still 100-200! They have a 15,000 pot where Junior gets all in with AJ against Mr. Aggressive's AQ. Junior is the second one out. Soon after that, Mr Aggressive puts The Storyteller all in with TT. The Storyteller has AA and doubles up to over 20,000. Mr Aggressive still has a bit more than that. FNG is knocked out by The Great One. FNG was shortstacked and bet all in with KQo on a Q84 flop. But The Great One flopped 2 pair in the BB with Q4o. At the end of level four, I'm up to about 15,000.

Round Five
    Not much seemed to have happened during round five. The Thinker was knocked out, and I finish with 15,200 after getting up to 17,600 at one point.

Round Six
    Mr. Aggressive is still over 20,000. Mr. "3x" is still the chip leader, but only by about 4000 over Mr. Aggressive. They tangle on a board of 66x. Mr Aggressive limped in LP with K6s. Mr. "3x" was in the BB. Turn is a blank, and ther river brings a T. I am not sure how much betting there was before the river. Mr. Aggressive bets 4k or so on the river, and Mr "3x" check-raises all in. Mr Aggressive calls very quickly, and just as quickly he is out of the tournament. Mr. "3x" had T6.

The Kid is moved from my table to the aggressive table. We are down to 10 players going into the second break. Chip counts are approximately as follows:

Mr. "3x" - 45,000
    Mr. Solid - 17,000
    The Storyteller - 16,000
    The Great One - 15,500
    The Host - 14,500
    The Godfather - 13,500
    Mr. Weak-Tight - 9,000
    The Kid - 9,000
    Mr. Staredown - 3,325
    Mr. Cash Game - 2,300

8. SpaceMonkey

Rounds Seven and Eight
    Not too much to report here either. Apparrently Mr. "3x" is still throwing his chips around and the rest of the table finds his stack really hard to deal with.

On my table, The Great One loses a good size pot to Mr. Weak-Tight. It was T :heart: 9 :heart: against J :spade: 5 :spade: on a board of K :spade: 9 :heart: 6 :spade: 4 :spade: T :club: . Mr Weak-Tight didn't bet the turn, so The Great One didn't put him on a flush, and made a good bet on the river with his two pair. Mr. Weak-Tight only called.

Back on the action table, The Godfather stands up to Mr. "3x". The board is 789. Mr. "3x" is in the blinds, and check calls The Godfather's bet. I'm not sure when the money went all in (turn or river), but Mr. "3x" was slow playing 6 :club: 5 :diamond: against The Godfather's T :spade: 9 :spade: . The turn was a blank, but the river was a J :diamond: , and The Godfather makes the first big dent into Mr. "3x".

The two short stacks don't do anything, and both bust out before dinner. Mr. Cash Game is out in Round 7, and Mr. Staredown lasts until Round 8. We're halfway through Round 8, and down to 8 players. Only twenty minutes until the dinner break, and we consolidate to one table, much to the relief of everyone on table 1. We redraw seats and deal for the button.

The Great One gets busted right before the break, and we're down to seven:

The Godfather - 46,800
    Mr. "3x" - 33,700
    The Host - 28,400
    Mr. Solid - 12,400
    The Kid - 11,700
    Mr. Weak-Tight - 9,800
    Mr. Staredown - 8,200

Dinner
    Well, the rain held off all day, but of course we have showers during dinner time. I've never grilled for 15 people before either, so I get a bit stressed running around trying to keep things dry while I have 10 burgers and 16 hot dogs on the grill. The rain stops before we're done, and it doesn't rain anymore the rest of the night. It didn't rain that hard or that long, so we still were all able to eat outside under the umbrella and tent. Everyone enjoyed the food, but I still had lots of leftovers. Three people had taken off well before dinner, but a couple stuck around and we had 12 still with us.

Round Nine
    A mini SnG was started up on the second table with the people who stuck around.

One hand I remember, it's folded to me in the SB, and I complete with 85s. The Godfather raises 2500, and shows me K6o when I fold. Shortly after that, Mr. Weak-Tight is busted out in seventh place. Bubble time, and it's only 8 pm!!

Round Ten
    The Storyteller hasn't been involved in nearly any pots since the dinner break, and the blinds have eaten his stack down to 3000 or so. He's UTG and goes all in. He's been waiting for a hand, but I can still tell that he's not strong at all here. I have J :diamond: T :diamond: and reraise to 6k to try and isolate. The two big stacks to my left fold, but unfortunately The Kid decided to call. Decent side pot, and the board comes T :club: 9 :diamond: 8 :diamond: . I bet out 4000, and The Kid takes a long time to decide what to do. He almost folds, but goes in for another 3k. I call. He has QTo. Yikes. The Storyteller has J8o. I don't make any of my 15+ outs, and I'm down to 15,000. The Storyteller is knocked out. No one playing besides me has read HoH or really knows how to play a short stack. Mr. Solid mentioned to me that he's learned a lot just by watching how I play short stacked though.

Two hands later I'm in the SB and find K6o as it's folded to me. I go all in against The Godfather, who folds. I show him the hand, since he showed me K6o eariler. The next two hands I go on a tiny rush, picking up AK and AT. I raise to 3200 each time and get no action. I'm back to about 23,000 by the end of the level.

9. SpaceMonkey

Round Eleven
    Mr "3x" and Mr Solid split an all in pot with AJo each. Later Mr. Solid makes a stone cold bluff against Mr. "3x". The board is 9 :spade: 5 :heart: 3 :diamond: . Mr. "3x" leads out, and Mr. Solid raises all in with T :spade: 7 :spade: . Mr. "3x" thinks and finally calls with K:heart: 9 :club: . But the turn is a 3 :spade: , and the river brings a cruel 5 :spade: . Mr. "3x" is no longer looking good.

Mr. Solid soon loses a decent pot to The Godfather. He then open raises to 4000 when I look down to see 77 on the button. I want to pick up this pot, and go all in for another 22,000. Two folds, and I have Mr. Solid covered. He has 13,000 left. He decides to call, saying this is probably a bad decision. Words could not have been more true. He shows 33.

Flop comes Tx3, and I am crushed. He makes quads on the river, and I'm still not over that hand at I type this. Ah well, I get my head back into the game by the next hand. I'm down to 7500, so it's push time baby! Any two'll do.

I find A8o and couldn't be happier. Until Mr. "3x" calls and shows AJo. Still burning after losing to a backdoor flush, he says "It doesn't matter, you'll hit your 8 on the flop". He is proven right, but the flop is J8x, so I'm out in 5th place. Frikking 33. Argh.

Round Twelve
    The Godfather raises UTG, and Mr. "3x" goes all in for 10k. Mr. Solid thinks a good amount but finally folds. Later we find out he folded AJo, thinking he had Mr "3x" beat, but was behind to The Godfather.

Well, The Godfather had AQo, and Mr "3x" had AT!!! Nice read and nice fold. Mr "3x" is out in 4th place.

After that, I dealt for the last three until we stopped at 10:30 pm. The Godfather has a road race Sunday morning, and has to wake up at 6 am. I didn't take any more notes of any hands. Here's the chip count going into day two. Three players remain, and blinds will start at 1500-3000 (500).

Mr. Solid - 59,000
    The Kid - 49,000
    The Godfather - 42,000

Overall, I was pleased with my play, but obviously not with my results. I did spend some chips limping with speculative hands even in the Orange Zone, but I made up for that with some aggressive stealing in the right spots. Looking back, maybe I should have raised more with the JT hand to get a better chance of isolating. Of courses folding would have been a good (better? ) decision too, but I had a good (and correct) read that my hand was good against the SS all in, plus we were 5 handed.

Everyone really liked the structure and the cookout, so it has been a successful event by all accounts. I'm still surprised by how much action there was early. Many people seemed to be overplaying their hands in relation to the blinds. I wonder how much of it is lack or patience vs. lack of experience in a slow structured tournament. Almost all the players mainly play 2-3 hour 1 table SnG's.

As always, all thoughts, comments and critiques are welcomed and wanted. Results of Day two will of course be coming after the tournament has finally concluded.

10. Murf

Murf Well-Known Member

You made the right play for sure on that 33 vs 77 hand, you just got really unlucky... sorry to hear that. Still, you took fifth place, and the event was a success, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Glad it was fun, awaiting final results!

11. seymour

seymour Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's been fun, even though you had bad luck in getting put out :sad: Can't wait to hear the results of Day Two!

I'm used to smaller SNG-type games myself, with 4-8 people playing. I've only really played in one bigger game, with 10 people on two tables (just a $10 buyin, didn't take it too seriously and the blinds were going up way too fast).

About how long is that small oval table? Looks about the ideal size for the group of people I play with, I'd love to get one made sometime.

12. SpaceMonkey

The table is a scant 66" x 41". It's perfect and comfortable for 7 people. It really wouldn't be too bad with 8 people either, but we haven't tried that yet. I got it off eBay for under $180 shipped. Not the best of construction, but adequate, and it looks and plays great with the upgraded foam and felt. When I have the time and need for another table, I'll certainly be building the next one myself.

But I'm quite happy with this oval table, and it fits my current needs perfectly. It seemed to go over well with the crowd too. :)

13. Captn_All_In

Well are we going to get an update or what??? The tension is killing me!!!!!

14. SpaceMonkey

Day Two

I woke up late morning and it was a beautiful day. There was talk last night from about 5-6 people thinking about coming back for some side games and to see the final 3 play it out. I rinsed out a few cases of beer bottles, tidied up and got out the chips for the final table. I was ready to go around 1 pm, so I had time to make a quick run to the Starbucks down the street inside the local Target. Got a large mocha frappachino to give myself some much needed energy.

Mr. Solid is the first one to arrive around 1:30 pm. We talk about the previous day, and how surprised we still were about how quickly people were getting knocked out. I show Mr Solid my recaps here, and he enjoys reading my summaries. The Kid arrives shortly thereafter, and we await The Godfather.

Only Mr. Cash Game shows up to look on and maybe catch a game afterwards. No one else returned my calls when I just wanted to get an idea of a headcount. No worries though, it was a beautiful day today, and yesterday was a long and tiring day for all.

The Godfather arrives, wiped out from running his road race. After the long day of poker, he woke up at 6 am and ran a 5k event with his wife and a few friends. Then the wife took him to some open houses from noon - 2 pm. Poor guy. We re-draw for seats and the button, and it's time to shuffle up and deal!

Round Thirteen

The chip counts are pretty even, but the action starts off heavy right away. Mr Solid is on the button to start, and gets involved in a huge pot on the very first hand. There's over 50k in the pot when Mr. Solid folds, and The Kid gets off to a good start. The Kid picks up the second hand of the day as well, this time against The Godfather. The board was A-x-x-K when The Godfather folded to another bet.

It's the third hand of the day, and The Godfather re-raises The Kid and goes all in. The Kid doesn't take long at all to call, and he's ahead with A :heart: 9 :spade: vs. K :diamond: 8 :diamond: . Ouch. The Godfather flops a flush draw, but neither play improves, and The Godfather is out in third place. Wow!

Head's Up

The Kid has a 5-1 chip lead, with 125,000 to Mr Solid's 25,000.

Mr. Solid wins the first two hands, and then loses some of it back on hand #3. The board was A-K-x-K. Mr. Solid bet 10,000 and folded when The Kid went all in.

Shortly after that, there's a flop of A :spade: J :club: 7 :heart: . The Kid checks, and Mr Solid goes all in. The Kid calls! Mr. Solid shows 9 :diamond: 7 :club: for bottom pair. The Kid has nothing with Q :spade: T :club: . The Turn brings a T :spade: , and the river a meaningless 5 :diamond: . The Kid called with a mere gutshot, but was in better shape than that, and hit one of his 10 outs to win.

Just like that, it's over!!! Day two lasted an entire 18 minutes. Even more suprising than Day 1. Again everyone let me know how much they enjoyed the tournament, and how well set up everything was. That's always great to hear, and it doesn't look like I'll have much to change for the Second Annual Poker Open next year. Oh, no one knew about the 1st-3rd place medallions, so the final three really enjoyed that final surprise.

As the tournament ended before 2:30, we decided to play a $20 SnG. There were five of us, so we split the pool 70-30. We started off with T5000, but played our usual T2000 blind structure. I ended up head's up against Mr. Cash Game, and took it down. A nice way to end the weekend.

Later on this week, I'll throw up some more pictures. Hope this was enjoyable for everyone to read.

15. Captn_All_In

Wow talk about a quickie!!

Glad to hear it went well....hard work and preparation always seem to pay off!@!!!!!

Also glad to hear you took that last game too!!

16. pager23

pager23 Well-Known Member

Great summary. Sounds like the tourney was a success.

Any grumbles that "We should have just finished it last night!"?

17. SpaceMonkey

Heh, you ain't kidding. Everyone was surprised at that. I mean, 18 minutes. I think Mr. Solid was trying to bluff in that first huge pot, and I'm still surprised The Godfather was willing to push with K8s on the third hand of the day. Everyone seemed to be a bit scared of the blinds, but I think they had more room to manuever than the players themselves thought.

Yeah, definitely a success, though I do wish everyone lasted until the dinner break on day 1. Five people were out a good 2-3 hours before dinner, and only 2 stuck around.

Good question about finishing it last night. There were no rumblings at all. If The Godfather wasn't in the top three, we most likely would have kept playing for one more round last night. As it is, no one thought play would have been so short today. No one minded coming back at all. After we finished, The Kid did say something about finishing last night, but it was more along the lines of a joke. It was such a long day yesterday, that we all needed the rest. I think everyone was expecting play to last at least a hour or two today.

18. Captn_All_In

Just wondering....and this is kind of off the topic but...did they enjoy playing with those nice chips of yours??

19. Fins

Fins Well-Known Member

Excellent recaps... very enjoyable read. Looks like a great setup (read envious here :wink:)!

Glad it was a success... would have expected nothing less.

Definitely post some pics.