Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Exclusive: Tortuga Coast Privateers

Discussion in 'OldWestPokerSupplies.com Offers' started by oldwestgambler, May 29, 2011.

1. oldwestgambler

oldwestgambler Silver Sponsor

Yes, I know it's Memorial Day Weekend and I should probably be sleeping in or burying my toes in the sand at the beach but, "duty calls" as they say. I hope you're all relaxing or having fun.

I want to introduce our newest exclusive poker chip series. This is a 39mm Ceramic set with six denominations from 1 to 1000.

Basically the series is based on the true legend of the Privateers, Pirates and Buccaneers who made their home on this treacherous side of the island of Haiti. Currently it is one of Haiti's biggest tourist attractions and its tales are at heart of the Pirates of the Caribbean film trilogy (referred to as the Brethren of the Coast or the Brethren Court)

The writing on the chips is an excerpt from John Esquemeling's pirate memoirs The Buccaneers of America. The excerpt is titled 'Spanish Attack on Tortuga'.

[​IMG]

We are currently taking orders for sets and sample sets. Just send a PM to me to order sets. You can purchase sample sets below.

There will be additions to this set including bounty and dealer buttons as well as extended denominations (upon popular request) with at least two high dollar plaque denominations. I will post them as they become available.

The first print run is under way and pictures will be posted as soon they are off the press.

Chiptalk and HPT members are getting an exclusive chance for pre ordering before anyone else.

[paypal buttons removed here]

If you are having troubles ordering with the buttons above or if you are interested in purchasing full sets just send me a Private Message and I will set up an invoice for your specific order.

This is a pre-order. Sample Sets will ship within approximately 2 weeks.

Thanks to everyone. We hope you enjoy the new design.
    Okay, I'll do it once....
    ARRRRRRGH!
    :happy:

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  2. oldwestgambler

We are moving right along. Here's our prototype print run on the final design. I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to see them in play.

[​IMG]

3. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    looks great, nice job

4. oldwestgambler

Thank you ovo!

5. courage

courage Lifetime Mean Girl
    Lifetime Supporter

Nice design! Heads-up set ordered. I'd like a dealer button when those come along.

Will the Bounty chip use the same image? Just curious... it'd be fun if it were a treasure chest?

6. oldwestgambler

We've toyed with a number of ideas but not with a treasure chest. We actually have a design for the bounty. It just has a different back. We shipped a few with our ceramics samples. We had printed the Bounty chips when the project was called Tortuga Coast Buccaneers. I do have a about 15 of those left. On the back they have a red flag behind the skull and the words "By Order of the King" on the scrolls instead of the name.

Here's an image of the old design. The new one has the word Bounty and the blue has been lightened considerably. The darkness below the map is supposed to be an island coastline.

[​IMG]

Obviously the new design has the word Privateer. Your idea for a treasure chest is an interesting one. I'd like to try my hand at designing one actually. You've given me another chore for this week.

In the meantime if you would like to order some of these old bounties to hold you over. I can let them go for .50 cents a piece and they are 46mm size. They're huge, lol.

7. oldwestgambler

Here's an ad we're going to use on our web site but don't forget you get a .05 cent per chip discount if you order through Chiptalk or HPT.

[​IMG]

This whole pirate theme is a lot of fun.

8. links_slayer

links_slayer Master of the 3-Putt Par
    Lifetime Supporter

.05 cents/chip -or- $0.05/chip?

Sorry....had to bring it up.

9. oldwestgambler

Is that a subject from another thread?

10. cdnmoose

cdnmoose Well-Known Member

I just find the skull/sword and the leg bones are out of proportion. I envision this giant pirate with a tiny head and hands.

In your typical skull and bones the head is larger than the bones.

[​IMG]

11. oldwestgambler

Well the inverse is actually true. The femur is the largest bone in the body. IRL the average adult skull has a diameter of 18cm while the average adult femur has a length of 48cm.

I really don't want to make excuses for a simple fun design but the jaw is also missing making it even smaller. And I didn't want the skull to hide the tortoise shell and the femurs had to be visible in the tangle of the banners. You have to compromise and you don't always get it right either. It's really just fun artwork.

12. oldwestgambler

Samples are ready to ship folks.

get your sample sets here.
    :cool:

[​IMG]

13. courage

courage Lifetime Mean Girl
    Lifetime Supporter

Look great! Ship it. :wink:

14. Schmendr1ck

Schmendr1ck Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Sample set received - I bought these for Mrs. S, who is a bit of a Pirates of the Caribbean fan. They look great; the colors are deep and the printing is sharp. They feel good and stack well too (at least six high). :wink:

15. john

john Well-Known Member

Where's the jaw of the skull. How is it meant to hold the sword?

16. oldwestgambler

Magnetic braces of course.
    :wink:

17. oldwestgambler

Thanks for the feedback Schmendrick. They did suspiciously debut around the same time as the third film of the PotC trilogy. lol. Just a coincidence believe it or not.
    Pirates are truly fascinating. And I love the colors too.

18. OldMan

OldMan Well-Known Member

Ordered 2 sample sets one for my collection & one for my 7 year old grandson who is nuts about pirates. He thinks they are really cool...wants a set to 'play poker with', not going over well with his mother. :) :) :sorry:

Got my HU set yesterday, outstanding colors, can stack 100+ chips, have a good feel to them, will try to put them in use this week.

Thanks...still want to order some of the octo's.
    :cigar: :cigar:

19. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

Well, unless they're from Pittsburgh.

And they have been looking a little green around the gills the past few years (decades?)

20. jbutler16

jbutler16 Old Man Sweater

i ordererd 16 of these just to check out as a shufflestack to consider some ceramic customs and i have to say i'm impressed. print quality is awesome and the texture on the face really provides some good traction for stacking. i'd imagine they'd be stable pretty high. great chips!

[YOUTUBE]GI6CfKcMhjY[/YOUTUBE]