Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

dont let them go to the ATM

Discussion in 'Cash Game / Ring Game Advice' started by PopeyeRG, Jan 27, 2015.

1. PopeyeRG

PopeyeRG Member

so I saw a thread on here and decided to make a separate thread so you guys running home games can get a upper hand, make a few bucks extra (if you want) and keep those players seated.

first, this is only a suggestion. you can do this or not, just don't troll me for it :)

in my home games that I run, I never let the players leave to go to the bank/atm to get more cash if they bust out. I keep them in the seat and playing. how? we offer solutions...merchant processing solutions :)

basically, you offer your players options to pay you or send you money to rebuy in. just make sure you have the cash available to hold the table, because if you don't, oh dear are you going to look foolish when your players cash out and your left starring at the eyes of a player who has a few hundred in front of him, and you are writing out a check or going to the atm yourself to get him that money

first, I would not recommend using paypal at all. you can, but I don't. paypal is horrible IMO when people have funds in the account. if you haven't experienced your money being placed on hold by paypal for 3 months, well, hopefully you never do. so I don't recommend paypal.

there are easy to setup, no extra cost setup companies out there that I use for merchant processing for credit card rebuys.

www.square.com - square is my main one. it is a simple application you can download on your phone, load the application, sign up and be ready to take payments in a few minutes. just add bank account to get the deposits in a day. its great.

www.authorize.net - this is a true merchant account for businesses. you will need a DBA to sign up, but typically that only takes a few minutes to setup with your local county. I don't know if they allow personal sign ups, they might.

those 2 are my top ways to getting payments via credit card and reloading the players.

next, you can get real fancy and get a ATM machine in your room. ATM machines don't always require a dedicated phone line. You can get a WIFI ATM machine, sync it to the processing gateway, and your spitting out $20 bills in a few hours of setup. ATM machines are very sensitive, and I would say time consuming if you don't know what your doing. I didn't and had to be walked through the setup process with the machine, and that took a few hours. the cool thing about ATM machines is that they are safe, real secure, user has to enter a PIN, and the funds are guaranteed. Once a PIN is used, there are no claims of fraud allowed, the merchant processing gateway will insure your transactions for whatever you sign up to use. Also, I liked putting my poker room nickname on the display screen, that always makes the players laugh. You can have whatever you want on there..."stick it in deep and pull out fast"..."aww need some more?"...stuff like that I alternated on the display screen all the time. it was fun :)

another payment option I brought in that my players loved was the bank account transfers. I setup a personal checking account at all the major banks in my area, bank of America, wells fargo, chase and a few more. then I had my account numbers ready for them, so if they needed to rebuy, just login to their bank account on the phone, add my account and send over the funds. was great.

checks - this is something that is your choice. with new banking applications on the phone, you can scan a check and deposit it on the spot. I do the scans for my bofa account.

now keep in mind, with anything there is a risk doing these, especially checks. you should know your players, trust them, and have faith they wont try to file disputes, stop payments on checks or toy with your money, especially if your the bank. and if you don't trust your players they shouldn't be playing @ your home game anyway!

for the credit card and atm processing, I charged them the fees. for credit card its standard 3%. you actually make a few cents on that. on the atm I charged $4. some games there were no fees charged, but that just depends on the size of the game.

good luck!

2. PopeyeRG

PopeyeRG Member

ATM side note: When you setup a ATM machine, you have to email/send in photos (well I had to) of the stickers on the machine, in the location where the machine is going to be in business at. I took pictures of the machine with the stickers and sent those in, and told them the location space was not ready yet as it was under remodel, but I wanted the machine live so I can place it and get it working with no more delays. they accepted the photos and my line was live for ATM processing.

not saying that line will work for you, but it did for me :)

3. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Sounds like overkill for a home game with close friends. Out of all the folks I play with locally, only one makes an occasional trip to an ATM. I suspect he leaves to cool off, which is fine with the rest of us.

pltrgyst likes this.
  4. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator

I get people all the time that would love to have me swipe their card from my PayPal thing I have. (Just like Square) I have declined thus far, simply because I dont want to explain that income at tax time, or to an IRS auditor. I just send them down to the corner ATM.

Sure, there are times they dont actually come back. Somewhere between my stairs and the store they either get their wits, determine their broke, or find jesus. But usually they're itchin' to come back and take a crack at us. If they don't come back, they probably shouldn't have for whatever reason. They come back the next game though.

5. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

I can't recommend several of these approaches, I see ugly problems.

Merchant accounts/credit cards - paypal - intrabank/interbank wire transfers all look like income. (for that matter taking a check does too.) Once you hit the magic number ($600 I think), there is some risk the processor reports to IRS and/or state and/or city. There is also the chance the loser takes his payment to you as a deduction. I can not attest to the risk of IRS action but if you get unlucky it will be very unpleasant and costly. (and if you aren't reporting your poker results on your taxes, even if you are a net loser . . . well that will suck too. I am not says they come looking for money losing gamblers because I seriously doubt they do, but if the IRS wants to twist your arm bad enough that is a easy way to hit you.)

In many states, the act of charging a fee to recover your costs makes the game illegal (it would in Texas). The police often get to keep the assets seized in conjunction with a crime like illegal gaming. That means the table, chips, everyone's money, your ATM, your paypal accounts, your poker bank accounts etc. . . . you get the idea. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/24/home-poker/raid-poker-game-1506828/ for one example.

Gambling debts are not enforceable in most states. That means a credit card payment or wire transfer can be reversed - the credit card charge is at FAR greater risk than the wire transfer. I can not imagine what you are going to tell the credit card processer if someone disputes the charge. I also can't imagine the charge isn't getting reversed. You are basically offering a cash advance, that could easily be a violation of your merchant account.

In short, I wouldn't do any of these out of self interest and I wouldn't do them because I think they could be bad for my game.

My $0.02 -=- DrStrange

6. beerlightbroker

beerlightbroker Well-Known Member

Imagine the State's Attorney having a damn atm wheeled into a courtroom.

7. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    An ATM would not be a very attractive piece of furniture in my house for my occasional home game but I could see where someone running a business might find that convenient. Sounds like a dozen ways to get in trouble though.