Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Displaying the individual chip collection

Discussion in 'Chip Collector Gallery' started by Jeff, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    I just finished renovating the basement. I bought chip display cases from SFDisplay.com and put up my individual chips in the diplays to be behind the poker table.

They offer this case and a smaller case in several woods as well as the black I selected. There's a front door that is on hinges and has two clasps. There's glass in the door.

Here's the collection:

[​IMG]

2. mattjrocks

mattjrocks Well-Known Member

Nice. Those look great. I found some shadowboxes at my local crafts store that look very similar. There are some good threads here with different displays. Need some pics of the whole basement.:)

3. toad94

toad94 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Those look great on the wall--nice job! Any chance we can have close-ups of the panels? :)

4. imperial10

imperial10 Creativity Alliance

Man that is a nice set up.

How many chips shown?

I bet you have a bunch of extra shadow boxes for future purchases.

5. deputyfl

deputyfl Creativity Alliance

This is a great looking display. I like how you can open the panel and get chips out if you want.

6. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    There's been some discussion about whether displaying chips like this is bad, that it might fade the inlays over time. I have over 620 chips in my collection now and feel like it's better to be able to admire them as opposed to keeping them in a box somewhere. They're in airtites so they can be taken out if I want.

There's room for expansion ... most of the cases will hold a chip or two more in the rows and one of the cases is only about half full. If I need additional cases, they're still for sale, hopefully I'll be able to buy them as I need them.

I'll be taking pictures of the basement once it's all decorated, and there's a thread showing the progression of the build-out. I'm very happy with it, a great improvement in brightening up the space and actually getting a few more inches in ceiling height due to getting rid of a dropped ceiling and putting up drywall and can lights.

7. Couga

Couga Creativity Alliance

Dude - if they are in air-tites you have no worries. The material that real air-tites are made of help prevent the fading that you are hearing about. Also if they are not in direct sunlight, I would say you have nothing to worry about (aside from earthquakes). AND if the "glass" is UV acrylic you are overprotected.

That is the only thing I worry about when I see some of the home made frames on the site here. I haven't said anything to anyone but I would strongly urge anyone making their own displays to be sure to use acrylic UV instead of glass on their displays.

- Couga

8. bjjensen

bjjensen Well-Known Member

Awesome pics! I had seen those cases, and wondered whether or not they would accommodate air-tites. Thanks for posting. I think I need one :) .

I have heard the same thing about fading, but completely agree with you about displaying your chips. My coin collection sits in a box in a closet, and I don't get a lot of enjoyment from it. This is what I've done to protect against fading:

All display cases are in my basement game room (no direct sun light);

Windows have treatment which supposedly blocks 99+% of UV radiation;

Replaced the flourescent lights in the game room with incandescent bulbs (yes, not as energy efficient/green, but I have heard stories of chips fading from the UV radiation of flourescent bulbs).

Will be putting Gila 'fade control' protective film on the glass of all my display cases (got it through special order at Lowe's). It is clear (unlike their other window films), but supposedly blocks 'up to 99.5% of UV radiation'.

Of course, some will probably think I'm being a bit paraniod with this 'belt and braces' approach, but once you start dropping $300+ per chip in your display cases (as I have done with a couple of my chips), suddenly an extra $30 doesn't seem like that much to spend to protect your investment, while also allowing you to enjoy it.

Anyway, thanks for sharing :)

bjjensen

9. bjjensen

bjjensen Well-Known Member

One question:

Are you using direct-fit air-tites, or the foam ring variety? From reading the sfdisplay.com website, there is only 1.75" between shelves, which would seem to require the direct fit variety (the foam ring air-tites are 2").

I guess you could put them at an angle (which may not work well for display), or they have the 'challenge coin' cases which have 2.125" between shelves.

Thanks for the information,

bjjensen

10. Jeff

Jeff Super Moderator

Media:
    You are correct. If you put chips in direct fit for 39 mm chips, they fit on the shelf. The larger air tites with the foam ring do not. I have a few larger chips, and they ont fit with air tites, but will fit if you put into the shelf without airtites. There is a groove on the shelf.