Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Different chip tricks

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Tricks' started by pocket snowmen, Mar 24, 2005.

1. pocket snowmen

pocket snowmen Well-Known Member

first lets post chip tricks people want to learn how to do. ill pot some names of common chip tricks.

Chip shuffle
    Front-to-Back
    Chip roll
    Chip twirl
    Butterfly
    Double-cut

there are a lot more.. thats all i can think of now. post which ones you want descriptions of

2. wingsfan

wingsfan Active Member

Is the butterfly the one where you have four chips spread out between all of your fingers? Also, clue me in on the double-cut. I'm not familiar with it at all.

3. pocket snowmen

yeah, thats what the butterfly is, the double cut is something ive seen phil ivey do, usually with a stack of 12, he takes 4 chips off the top, then takes the next 4 chips off of the top of the stack while holding the other chips still, but put the 4 chips you have just picked up on top of the ones in your hand. so there are 4 chips on the table, and 8 in your hand then you place the stack in your hand on top of the chips on the table. probably a horrible explaination, but basically you are taking the middle four chips out, and putting them on top of the stack. phil ivey does it transitioning into a shuffle.

4. thebrokenone

thebrokenone Well-Known Member

If you're planning on working the cut it into a shuffle you should use a stack size of 8,12,16,20,etc. so you can easily cut off even stacks. Use a stack size that you're comforable shuffling... I like to shuffle stacks of 6, even though I can shuffle larger stacks... it's just more comfortable. ANYWAY........

Here's how I do it:

Start w/ a stack of 12 chips. Reach down from the top of the stack and pick off 3 chips using your fingers and thumb. (I actually just use my ring finger and thumb, but you may be more comfortable using other fingers as well. Just try to keep your pinky free.) Once they have cleared the stack, use your thumb to push the chips into your pinky and adjust your grip. The goal is to hold the chips w/ your pinky, ring and/or middle finger -- with your index finger and thumb freed. Then, quickly pick off 3 more chips using your index finger and thumb and place (or toss) those on top of the first 3 chips.

You can then set the new stack anywhere... drop it next to the original and work it into a shuffle, or set it back on top and cut it again. It's fun for the whole family.

5. panthershutch15

panthershutch15 Well-Known Member

What finger does everyone lift with for the chip shuffle?? When I learned it a few years ago, I just automatically began lifting in the middle of the stacks with my middle finger. However, every time I watch someone do it on T.V, they lift with their index finger more out in front of the left stack.

6. thebrokenone

thebrokenone Well-Known Member

I normally lift w/ my middle finger. I can also shuffle using my index, but it's more comfortable for me the other way...

7. jojobinks

jojobinks Poker Nerd (and Admin)
    Lifetime Supporter

i use my index finger. my middle finger is used in coordination with the ring finger to stabilize the outside stack.

8. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Index

9. Nickmast

Nickmast Active Member

I must shuffle different than everyone else. I lift with my thumb.

10. toots

toots Well-Known Member

Middle.

I'm right handed, but can't shuffle well with my right hand.

With my left hand, I can shuffle an entire stack (20 chips: 10+10).

I have to wonder if I've really been left handed all along, but no one thought to tell me.

11. Nickmast

Nickmast Active Member

I'm right handed and shuffle with my left also.

12. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Man, I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

13. pocket snowmen

i use my indez finger to lift in the shuffle, my middle and ring fingers stabilize the outer stack, while my thumb stabilizes the inner stack.

14. Bhudio

Bhudio Well-Known Member

When I first started I'd use my pointer and pinky to brace the outside and my thumb to lift. Once you do it the conventional way, braceing with your thumb and middle finger, and lifting with your pointer, it's much easier that way.

15. pocket snowmen

yeah, i just realized im able to lift with my middle finger instead of my index finger, but im used to lifting with my index and i think its the easiest

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Member

so....you guys have your thumb on the outside of the left stack, your ring, middle, and pinky finger on the outside of the right stack, and you lift on the left stack with your index finger. I am kind of doing it, but middle just seems easier to me. Is what i described correct??

17. panthershutch15

panthershutch15 Well-Known Member

That previous guest post was me..sorry.

18. pocket snowmen

yeah wat you described is correct, the more i do it with my middle finger, the more it makes sense.... if you lift with the middle finger, you would have your thumb and index finger on the left stack, and your ring and pinky finger on the right stack. it makes more sense that way if you think about it because you have 2 fingers stabalizing each stack, and lift with the middle finger... im just used to lifting with my index finger though... i probably wont change....

19. hunterking

hunterking Well-Known Member

god i FINALLY got the shuffle down! :roll:

20. Night_Owl

Night_Owl Active Member

I lift with my middle finger. I can shuffle as many as 22 chips, but shuffling 14 is more comfortable.