Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Custom Design - The Bad and The Ugly

Discussion in 'Custom Chip Design - Request For Hire' started by Matthew, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Matthew

Matthew Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Mar 23, 2005
    Please only respond with any bad experience with designs.
  2. machinelf

machinelf Creativity Alliance

Dec 18, 2006
    My very first design project on CT was for a member named falstaff. You can read the thread here:

Things went smoothly. He liked the design, offered me a sample set, and even claimed that he had gotten the labels and started putting them on the chips (saying that he would get pictures up and samples out soon).

After nearly two months, I replied again in the thread asking about the progress, since he hadn't posted about them again or sent me my sample set. But he was around, posting elsewhere at that time.

No response.

So after a few days during which he was online but not responding, I sent him this PM:

To : falstaff
    Date : 2007-06-15 11:27
    Title : just curious
    Hi John,

I was just wondering about those Shakespeare-labeled Nexgens... any progress?

Again, no response.

Months pass, projects come and go. Then I see this guy hanging around, so I try again:

To : falstaff
    Date : 2007-11-16 09:08
    Title : why

Can you give me a reason why you've never sent the sample set you promised as payment for the Shakespeare design?

Again, nothing. Why he would go to such trouble to avoid mailing out 4 or 5 plastic chips is baffling.

I finally got around to putting this up because I noticed him posting again the other day. Needless to say, I would avoid this guy at all costs.
  3. Toby

Toby Professional gamboler
    Lifetime Supporter

Feb 27, 2009
    I originally went with an artist who'd had no experience of chip design, doesn't even play poker...

Yup, that was a big mistake. He is a friend of my brother and there's no doubting his talent/quality of work, but the inexperience of chips/poker meant he couldn't really 'get' the concept, so I couldn't use his work ultimately as it would've looked seriously sh1t on chips if I ever got 'em made.

It was also fecking expensive, considering he is my bro's buddy. Cost me c$450 for artwork I couldn't use..!

Expensive lesson learned there.

My advice would be to go with a seasoned pro with good rep on CT.