Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Custom chip question

Discussion in 'ApachePokerChips.com Offers' started by Apache, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Apache

Apache Gold Sponsor

This is a question for people who have bought custom ceramic chips.

Are your customs aligned or unaligned?
    Does it make a difference to you and are you willing to spend $.20 extra per chip?

I am just about done with my custom ceramic webpage and want to know if I should bother offering aligned edge spots.

Custom Poker Chips, Clay Poker Chips, Poker Chips For Sale

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  2. beaudevil

beaudevil Well-Known Member

I know you are going to have two distinct opinions on this question, there are those that absolutely have to have them aligned and those that cost is more the driving factor thus no alignment is required.... I have seen people on threads here go around and around on this question and if it is a service you can offer to your customer by all means give them that choice! I think in the long run it will be more benificial to you and your customers to give them that option.

3. byline9

byline9 Faux Clay Nation

I had Bellagios that were unaligned and they didn't bother me. But some people have posted that unaligned spots would drive them crazy...so I'd definitely say that a large pct of the ceramics buyers (here at CT) are willing to pay extra for alignment.

4. wafflestomper

wafflestomper Well-Known Member

I would agree that most people are willing to pay extra for aligned. BUT. You need to do them really well. If someone here pays for aligned, they truly want the edges aligned, not mostly aligned...

5. SoDamnRed

SoDamnRed Well-Known Member

byline9 pretty much has it right... I'm sure alignment would be a must for the majority of CT'ers, but probably isn't as much of an issue for the regular casual player.

6. hod

hod Well-Known Member

There will be a demand for it, obviously we're not aware of the profit/cost implications to you of offering aligned but if it's very little (or passed on to the customer) I would say offer it.

7. Felix

Felix Well-Known Member

I think basically it depends 100% on the design.
    Chipco doesn't offer aligned edges, they also have the white ring, which also separates the face from the edge. The typical ceramic designs mostly have a big face graphic on the complete chip and the edges have nothing to do with the face of the chip (very roughly said :wink:).
    BUT...a lot of people are imitating clay chips with their ceramic design and put something like edgespots on them. In that case, imho the chips then HAVE to be aligned.
    Since a lot of the ceramic designs that imitate claychips/edgespots and you don't want to loose those customers, you should offer both options. Otherwise a lot of people may/have to decide against you depending on their design ideas.
    So if you can do it aligned (not only mostly aligned...like others stated) then you definitely should offer it as an option.

8. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Unaligned "edge spot" ceramics drive me crazy. If I ordered a set, I would only consider aligned and would want them to be very aligned, not just sort of aligned. That said, my personal preference is for edges that do not need to be aligned with the faces.

9. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    If I was going to get a set of ceramics, I would get alligned.

10. WolfPack

WolfPack Faux Clay Nation

mine are unaligned

for the cost of aligned ceramics you could get custom clay solids or hotstamped spotted.

If your cost isn't impacted much then offer them, the more options the better. I'm just not sure how popular of an option it would be.

11. palmimports

palmimports Well-Known Member

As one who makes them- here's our take:

Doing aligned PIPS requires the math to be DEAD ON ACCURATE but with a catch-- doing the math using arc angle measurements is easy once you learn the math- the problem is: there has to be SLIGHT compensation factored in because the edges when printed will be trimmed slightly- without this adjustment there will be some inaccuracy in alignment

China ( and us) state clearly up to 2mm variation is the norm-- its as accurate as we can get without making one chip at a time

Sometimes ya just get plain lucky and everything looks good for that one chip design-- sometimes- ya dont.

2mm isnt much- but when looking a the chip- to some people it will just be unacceptable

Your customer ( or you) or whomever designs the chip will have to understand the design elements perfectly--

While other vendors have done this tedious tast- it is only because they charge alot for this service and can afford the time it takes to print- and reprint- the chips- the waste factor is enormous which is partly why the cost is additional.

I think you would have to offer it two ways-
    one way with the 2mm variation and a 2nd way at a much higher price IF you run into the customer that just HAS to have everything perfect.

Whats important is they understand their chips are made by hand- and for dead on accuracy it is a slow tedious process.

This has to be clear to the ceramic buyer- in addition to them understanding edges have mold markings-PRECISE color matching isnt a reality, small fonts dont print well-certain font/base color combinations look terrible when printed-graphics which are designed to align on the far left to far right of the edgestripe MAY NOT align perfectly- and alot of other grey areas.

I mention this because weve learned that not every customer you obtain may be familiar with ceramic chips and their pro's-- and shortcomings-- especially when they expect the chip to look identical to the artwork mockup. The artwork mockup ALWAYS looks more vivid then the chip itself.

The last thing you want to be doing is returning money on a custom chip order because the customer never owned a ceramic chip and didnt know what to expect.

Hope this helps