Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Custom Ceramics will bleed/fade over time? Pic

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Care' started by SonRK, Jan 4, 2015.

1. SonRK

SonRK Active Member

I bought my first batch of my custom made ceramics back in March 2012.

I just made some more this past month, December 2014.

[​IMG]

Left side is the new batch, right side is original batch.

Obviously, with constant 2x a week use, I wouldn't notice the gradual bleed/fading of the chips.

I just wanted to know if this is to be expected. Also, and I guess more importantly, would it keep fading/bleeding until it was just a red blotchy mess? I assume this would take years to eventually get all blurry. Or did it reach its peak blurriness?

2. Couga

Couga Creativity Alliance

I would say this is normal. Ceramic chips are notorious for bleeding. Especially the $5 red chips. They have been known to bleed through two layers of plastic flips to damage chips stored next to them. They also routinely stain air-tite capsules pink. They can get pretty bad. Look at some of the used Freddie's Club and Silver Dollar chips that Jim sold a few years ago. I would imagine you have a decade or two before they get that bad, but they definitely wear over time.

Nice chips by the way.

3. stocky

stocky Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Where did you purchase the chips if I may ask? Is it possible that the company you purchased them from changed something in their factory? New printer or different blanks?

Just a different thought as to why they are different.

4. SonRK

SonRK Active Member

Thanks for the comment and compliment!

I ordered through Old West Poker Supplies.
    Interestingly enough, he did state that they switched to different printers during the time frame, so he asked if I wanted to get some prototypes first, etc.

I wish I had taken pictures of my chips when I first got them to compare them @_@

5. MrWitti

MrWitti Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    I would say normal behaviour. Physical wear of of the color printed on the blank. Smearing is another phenomenom. In my opinion more detectable with smooth blanks.
    Time and sunlight might cause additional fading...