Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Custom Ceramic Chip Set - Japanese Numbers

Discussion in 'Custom Chip Mock-ups' started by seifip, Aug 28, 2009.

1. seifip

seifip Active Member

1. I changed the number to arabic numerals. As 25 would take 3 characters in Japanese and being the smallest value it would look strange to have the longest label on the chip.
    2. I changed the colors/denominations and they are now very close to the standard (25 is green, 100 is somewhat close to black, 500 is somewhat close to purple and 1000 is yellow)

[​IMG]

2. raiderwiz

raiderwiz Member

ABC does prototype samples without the edges printed for $1.25 per chip, plus shipping. I think they will also do a prototype and send you a photo for free...you might want to check with them to be sure.

3. seifip

seifip Active Member

Update. Returned Japanese numbers, added a slight color tint under the numbers (will it be printed fine or should i make it pure white again?)

[​IMG]

4. PilsBier

PilsBier Well-Known Member

Mhh, the last changes completely destroyed the set for me.

I would suggest letting the Japanese-Style symbols in place. Creating the set like this, you could also buy a 50$ chipcase from your local retailer.

I would also suggest not changing the inner part to white for two reasons:

1. the dark inlay looked great and dark grey is printed very well on ceramics as long as you choose the right ones
    2. in my experience, plain white never looks that good on ceramics too, at least when there are big parts on the chip white. (that is because it's not printed, but rather the unprinted chip is seen in that parts and it just looks unprinted... and sometimes the white of the chip isn't as white as you would like it to be !!

@ symbols instead of arabic denoms
    Have you thought about using general symbols instead of japanese denoms?
    You could very well just use symbols with a poker related meaning, such as luck / success and so on and create a set of non-denom-chips. So you can use those as ever you like and are not limited in the usage of the set. Mostly people won't know what the japanese denoms are anyway and just keep the colors in mind... and yes, not always looking the denom up on the edge.

@ dark grey
    Here is what I experienced... use a pantone-code table when the program you're using supports it and try out the cold-grey colors. Those really print as very good greys on ceramics and don't tend to get brown or smear when printed.

I created a little graphic with some grey that will most probably print very well on your chips. (see below)... I hope this helps.
    You can also see gradients in CMYK using cool and warm grays that look pretty much the same, there's no big difference but warm gray is even in the light versions a bit brown.

You can use both, the cool and other gray samples.

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Pils

5. seifip

seifip Active Member

@PilsBier: Thank you a lot for your help!

It's probably just me... but I don't like more or less random words, especially in Japanese, written all over things (and especially chips ^^). I know, I'm not normal :wink:

Update. I changed the inside to one of the grays you suggested, changed the labels toe the names of the colors of the chips (green, blue, pink, yellow).

Does it look good now or does anyone have nay other suggestions? As for the chip manufacturer, I'll most probably go with BR Pro. Does anyone know whether they have some offers for Chip Talk members?

[​IMG]

6. Josh7975

Josh7975 Well-Known Member

looks good, I liked the numbers in post 23 a little better, but whatever. only comment I have is that you probably want to make the dealer button color noticeably different from any of the chip colors.

BRPro may have some recommendations, so you don't need to finalize everything 100% before you send over your design.

7. seifip

seifip Active Member

OK, What about this?

[​IMG]

8. seifip

seifip Active Member

This seems to be my release candidate, ready for print :) If nobody will be able to convince me to make any more changes...

[​IMG]

9. Josh7975

Josh7975 Well-Known Member

VERY nice. I only have one suggestion: make the 1000 chip a sharper lemon yellow. This will help distinguish the yellow and green chips, and it will look very sharp with all the dark gray / black.

The yellow-black combination is known to create an "optical desire" for true red. So if you wanted, you could make the dealer button color more of a cherry red or fire engine red. But that's definitely not essential.

Congrats on a great design. I'd be very interested in purchasing a sample set from you, and possibly even a small tourney set-- though I certainly understand if you'd prefer to be the sole owner of these chips.

10. seifip

seifip Active Member

@Josh7975: I already ordered a sample set from BR Pro and I'll surely post some photos of it as far as I'll get it (hopefully in a week or so). I'll think about offering this design for sale after I get it my self and I'll definitely be interested in sending you a sample set :) Thank you for your help!

11. PilsBier

PilsBier Well-Known Member

Hi there,

very nice the current version. Congrats.

Looking forward to see how those work when printed. Post pictures of the preview-samples, please.

Cheers,
    Pils

12. seifip

seifip Active Member

13. Puggy

Puggy Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I liked these chips right when I first saw this post, seifip.
    Well done. Good thing that you turned back to japanese.
    On top of that those samples look great. Just make the
    whole set. Grrreat job, sir. :cool:

14. seifip

seifip Active Member

Hey guys! It's been 8 years, and I finally found the time to release an update to this poker set, and put it up for sale online :)

[​IMG]

1. I changed Japanese numerals to regular digits, as almost all of you have asked me to make this change in your orders.
    2. I've polished the design, with nicer fonts, and more distinct colours.
    3. You can now purchase the chips through my Facebook store, instead of PayPaling my personal address, which should make things much more straightforward

The chips are still manufactured from quality ceramic, by BR Poker Pro many of you have recommended to me.

If you'd like to purchase a set, head to: http://www.sexychips.com/

And thank you once again to everyone who has helped me get this project off the ground, way back when I was still in high school!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017