Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Coloring up and would it bother you if I didn't ?

Discussion in 'Tournament Structures' started by ovo, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I always like to color up chips when it's time. I think the game moves smoother. But would it bother you if I didn't have enough chips to do a color up ?

The example I give:

A T20000 tourney and maybe the blinds are up around 6000 - 12000 and the denoms on the table are 500, 1000, 5000 . I didn't have enough chips to color up the 500's. And let's say the chips are really nice !!!

So would it bother you to have to push around stacks of 500's ? Did I mention the chips were really nice ?

2. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

Ovo, this is a HUGE problem that can only be solved by ... buying more chips! :wink:

You do what you have to do in situations like that. If buying more chips isn't an option (yet, maybe), then using chips that in theory should have been colored up is your only real option.

Would it bother me? No.

One alternative might be to reconfigure your tournament so that the blinds start lower, but keep the same ratios. To know, of course we'd have to have a lot more facts.

3. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    buying more chips, I like that. Thanks for the input. I'd love to hear from someone that it would bother. I think it would bother me :)

4. TexRex

TexRex Well-Known Member

It would bother me if I was the host. If I wasn't, I try not to let things I can't control bother me.

5. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    It would bother me, but for one specific reason. I've played with people who will do this: The player might have stacks of all three denominations and wants to make or call a bet of, say, T15K. Does he bet 3 x T5K? No. How about 15 x $1K as three stacks of five chips? LOL, of course not. He bets with his T500 chips, but he counts them out in fifteen stacks of two chips. Ugh! So what it boils down to is, if the players know how to handle and manage their chips, fine. If they have to count out their T500 chips in stacks of two, then not so much.

BPTDirector likes this.
  6. luk_nuts

luk_nuts Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If u wanna buy new chips, but not a huge amount, you could go for some T25000 I guess :)

7. atomiktoaster

atomiktoaster Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There's a couple mitigating factors:
    • A properly designed T20k set won't have a whole lot of T500s to begin with (might not be the case here, since PNYs/Vineyards/etc. cost $$$ for $500s but $$$$$$:roll: for $1000s. But at those price points, custom big denom plaques are going to be a money saver. Hell, even filling a minimum order of 44mm A-molds from CPC with T10k chips and only using 3 barrels might be cheaper than the equivalent bank of vineyards....)
    • Most of those really nice $500s rarely get used in stacks, so that's a fun opportunity
    • At 12k BB with 20k buy-ins, it will be over in the next few levels. Your super nice chips probably support 2 tables at most. If we expect a full table at this point, then go with the "buy moar" option.

8. ovo

ovo World Series Chump
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree with your point about chip management . Players can make it easy , or hard on everybody.

abby99 likes this.
  9. BGinGA

BGinGA Banned

I'd just add antes to your T20K structure and keep those nice-looking T500's in play longer. :)

My long-running mantra has been "please use your big chips". After 10 years of running tournaments, the other players now police that newbie action, so I rarely need to. On the other hand, I have no problem with people who push around a barrel of T500's as if it were a single T5000 chip. Even when I have sufficient color-up chips, I usually keep three or four barrels of T500s in play once it gets short-handed, even if they're not needed. Moar chipes is good.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M Well-Known Member

if you have a cash game set use some of those chips to color up. Make dollar chip 10k and the .25 chip 25k and the 5 dollar chip 5k. Then you can color up.

Also adding some 5k and 25k plaques is not that expensive because you do not need a lot of them. I have those plaques added to my Paulson pharaoh set and players love them when we do a 10k tournament and they get some plaques on color up.

Yes people like to push big stacks out even when you have an etiquette rule to use larger chips. Its hard to enforce. That's why color up is needed. It slows game down if you don't. If players let me(I do not require it) I will do a partial color up for people that have amassed a lot of one chip to keep the stacks manageable. When you have blinds going up every 15-20 min people like things that speed up the game. They know that blind is coming back around to them very soon.

11. BPTDirector

BPTDirector Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

I don't think it would bother me except for the instance Abby spoke of. As far as T500 haters I'm not in that group. I don't mind having a lot of T500 chips in a starting stack as it helps keep the bets a reasonable size early on. Otherwise my guys get trigger happy with the T1000's and don't make change. I know I'm opposite a lot of folks but I don't care if I am.