Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Cold cards

Discussion in 'Poker Stories and Bad Beats' started by Munky, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Doesn't it get frustrating when you're playing for 3-5 hours and all you've seen all night worth anything, is 88 and A:heart:9:club: ?? Happened to me last night, every time I had an actual hand last night, the tightest player in the game would re-raise me. Sure enough he'd have KK or AK. I'm wondering if it's the curse of the new cars I got. I just got 2 packs of Modianos, Poker Sized, 4 pip RI. Since using that deck I've been hitting a frozen wave of cards that would make Gus Hanson cry.

Taking a break, that's what you're supposed to do when getting cold-decked?? Or just if you're on tilt?

2. Phaetos

Phaetos Well-Known Member

It's not just you. I played at the local boat last night. It was the longest 5 hours of my life. I never went above $65. It was just horrible. I switched to another table and it was even worse. The worst part, three of the biggest fish I have ever seen sat down wanting to play no-limit but all they had open was our limit table. They had no clue how to play it right, one guy even tried to go all-in on the river :happy: Problem was, I was getting jack to be able to play against them. I had the cards I easily could have taken each and every stack they had. They were showing their girlfriends every hand. I never watched the players, always watched the girls reactions. Priceless I tell you, priceless. But cold cards was all I kept getting. Oh well, it happens.

3. seymour

seymour Well-Known Member

I was getting pretty terrible cards in our game earlier this week, too. KK a couple of times, but other than that I rarely even had a face card at all. Not many pairs, usually low ones. Seems that my current bad cards are also extending to online poker, can't get anything decent there this week either :sad:

4. Niagara_All_In

Niagara_All_In Well-Known Member

Cold cards do suck but thats the perfect time to work on your "Playing the person" skills.

Spend the time you are folding by watching every little move the other players are doing then play those shit cards like you hadd AA when the time is right and they will still pay off for you.

5. panthershutch15

panthershutch15 Well-Known Member

That's strange....I too had a rough week after being up about $400 for the past 3-4 weeks (home game/online)

Both online and home game I have been dealt bad cards and have also played them poorly...It's turned around the last few days though!!

6. CaptLego

CaptLego Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I've found I have a fighting chance in the chiptalk tournies if:
    a) I play my best game, and
    b) I get great cards, and
    c) I get consistently lucky

Last week, I was 0 for 3.
    It was a short tourney for me. :sorry:

7. seymour

That's where the bad luck lately has been coming into play :wink: Even if they have nothing but decide to stick around for whatever reason, the river hates me! Heheh...

I try to work on playing the person and not just the cards whenever I can, though. I love messing with their heads.

8. Phaetos

Phaetos Well-Known Member

You don't "play the person" in limit games. It just don't work. I tried, they chase everything unless they have aboslutely nothing which they will fold after the flop if a bet comes out.

9. vrecksler

vrecksler Well-Known Member

I had the opposite occur on Friday during my monthly home game. I was getting decent cards but I was constantly getting outdrawn.

Things like a shortstack moving all-in with 66 and I call with AA but end up doubling them up, then just 4 hands later I raise in late position with JJ and another shortstack moves all-in with ATo (was getting 12:1 pot odds to call) and even though I flopped a set, a runner-runner straight later and I had doubled up another person. :)

In all fairness I had built a nice stack with good cards so I guess it evened things out, plus I did not play flawlessly and I had a couple races where I needed to improve and did so. But in general it seemed like my big hands were getting consistently beaten and I was not sure on how to adjust (or if I should adjust) but it was sure tough to take.

Losing when you are getting crap is understandable, but when your cards are OK it is not too good for the ego as there is no scape goat except for the dummy playing the cards (me). :)

10. pager23

pager23 Well-Known Member

Ok, we need to start a "cold cards" tournament. The only pre-requisite is that you've caught absolutely NO CARDS for the last week. It would at least be a way to ensure that SOMEONE breaks their streak.... Or would they???? Maybe we would just play for 9 hours without a winner.

11. seymour

I tried that when I first played some limit poker. It was a horrible experience. You just aren't going to bluff many people, they just don't care what you might have. And they often catch just the cards they need!

With friends around here though, we pretty much only play NL. Thinking about throwing in an occasional limit game just for a bit of variety.

12. jldecarlo

jldecarlo Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

It's the old saying "It's better to be lucky than good."

And the old comeback "It's even better to be lucky AND good."

L

13. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

that would be one sad tournament

14. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

I did watch everyone, in fact I made 2 reads on some friends that REALLY impressed me. My friend Sean raised preflop, he had NO hesitation, I knew his hand was strong. 2 weaker players just called. Flop comes 68A. My friend Sean was first to act, he checked it. One of the weaker players bet the minimum, the other folded, and my friend raised him about 2/3 of the pot. One of the weaker players made some comment on my friend having aces or something like that, I said, "Nah, he's probably got queens and is trying to knock him off a weaker hand." The hand got checked down. Weak player flips over 68h my friend Sean flipped over his queens.

I felt kind of bad about calling the hand out like that, but my friend didn't really mind.

I was really on it that night, knowing when someone was weak or strong... only problem was, every time I made a move, I'd keep running into a brick wall in the BB. Once both blinds held AK, raised me right out of that pot, and my KQ shriveled up like a prune. They were both rocks, and they both kept re-raising each other till they were all in. Chop Pot! YAY!!!

The other read I made wasn't as impressive to me, but still I felt pretty good after making it. This one guy who I didn't play very much with, raised a huge amount early position. My initial thought was a high pocket pair, but he seemed to cringe when 3 fish called him. The guys who called him were known for calling almost anything with very poor... POOR hands (IE Qc3c middle position... BECUZ THAY R SOOTID!!!). I kind of figured at that point he had AK maybe AQ. So... being in the BB and looking down at 8's...(First pair of the night... in all 4 hours of playing). I looked at the guy (Ethan) and said, "Ready to race??" he actually seemed to perk up a little. I pushed all in, he called. The 2 fish fold. He turned over AK. Of course the flop came AJJ, but that's beside the point. Even money. One of the guys at the table moaned, "AWWWW!!! I FOLDED JACK SEVEN!!" He was actually one of the callers preflop... I'm sure Ethan was glad I pushed him out :)

I usually have a really harder time getting a good solid idea of what calling stations usually have... the few good players we have at our game (Sean, Ethan, Jason... maybe one or two more) I can usually narrow down their holdings to a few hands.

In retrospect, I really felt I was playing well... The cards on the other hand... were not in my favor. The only really risky play I made was reraising all in with my 8's, but I knew I only had to worry about Ethan, the other 2 would have reraised with ANY pair 7's or higher.

Allllllright... I'll shut up now.