Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Chipco Egyptian Value

Discussion in 'Poker Chip General' started by Nurumkin, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Nurumkin

Nurumkin Well-Known Member

What exactly is a 1000 chip set of them worth these days. Its a nice mix of 5,25,100 500 and 1000's.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  2. beekeeper

beekeeper Creativity Alliance

Wow...I think you're going to be hurt by the glut of great clay chips on the market. I have a set of Egyptians that I'll never sell because I think they're so gorgeous (and they were my first real set), but I think the value of Chipcos has gone down and when folks can get clay for around $1 they expect to get ceramic for much less. Also, though I disagree with people who say this, a lot of people who have bought other types of ceramics believe the quality of all ceramics is about the same.

When I was building my set I could expect to pay $.76-$.80 per chip "used" (to me, "used" Chipcos = practically new, since they wear so well).

Now, I think if I were going to try to sell the whole set at once, just to be sure I wasn't left with stragglers, I would look for no more than $.75 per chip (and that may be high).

To Anyone Interested in a Beautiful Set: Egyptians are absolutely beautiful chips.

3. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Fair Price for Octos and Plaques - Chipco Egyptian Value

This is helpful info.

My brother and I both got in on the original Tenpercenter group buy back in 2004/2005.

Anyway, what is a fair price for the Octos and Plaques? I've searched for posts on this issue, but all the ones I've read are several years (and one recession) ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2011
  4. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

Octos and Plaques are still worth big $$. For the standard round ceramics, I wouldn't expect anything near retail.

5. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

Sad, but true. I sold my Chipco Egyptians about two years ago, and I still regret it (Do you still have them, Jen? :cool: ) To me, they're the best looking production ceramics ever, with or without the octos.

6. Engineer

Engineer New Member

My brother is thinking he can get 70c per chip or so (they are near mint). The only place I know of to buy them new is Holdempokerchips.com, and they are 92c per chip. What is a fair price for the regular chips? I I realize that the earlier poster said 75c/chip was the upper range, but I was wondering what the lower range would be. I freaking love these and I still think they blow any other ceramics out of the water.

-Cole

7. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

8. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I would just look at ebay completed auctions for value. I honestly dont see them for sale very often.

9. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

The problem with that is ebay auctions evaporate after 90 days max.

10. Krafticus

Krafticus Well-Known Member
    Premium Supporter

You SOLD chips. I don't believe you !!! :)

:happy:

sorry, /threadjack

Mark

11. beekeeper

beekeeper Creativity Alliance

They don't sell well on this site for some reason and I don't think anyone looking on Craig's list or ebay is going to know their real value (or how much they go for on hpc). Also, it doesn't mean the same thing to say that Chipcos are "near mint" as it does to say that about clay chips, as ceramic chips--especially Chipcos--usually hold up well.

On this site, clay is the rage, and folks can get custom ceramics very very reasonably.

I love the Egyptians. I have a large set, including something like 40 plaques and 60 octagons. I will NEVER sell this set. It is so beautiful and hands down the favorite when I host games (over my TRK KCs).

That said, unless you have octagons and plaques to sell with your set, you won't find a competitive market here. In fact, if you did have octos and plaques, all you would get is 50 private messages asking if they could just buy the octos and plaques. And this really is the market for you to try to sell the chips. A realistic expectation is that your brother could ask for $.60-$.70 per chip. But to me, for that price, I would keep them.

12. pltrgyst

pltrgyst Well-Known Member

Yeah, but they were the *only* ones, and about two years ago. I'm much sicker now, thanks.

13. jrees

jrees Well-Known Member

I'm really curious to know what the plaques have been going for of late as I can't really seem to find any recent sales.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  14. rjdev7

rjdev7 Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Does anyone have a single rack of Egyptian $5s they would sell me? I would pay $1.10/chip

For two years, I am literally just short 60-100 chips from being able to have a cash game. It’s killing meeee :)

Thanks for considering.