Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Cashing-out options

Discussion in 'Cash Game / Ring Game Advice' started by BenjaminDonut, Aug 16, 2008.

1. BenjaminDonut

BenjaminDonut Member

How do you guys cash out when you're running a home game? Do you have a bag full of change and do it exactly, or do you round up or down?

2. wafflestomper

wafflestomper Well-Known Member

We have $20 buy in games and everyone is fine rounding to the nearest dollar. We often have $400 in play by the end. Enough of us bring dollar bills to pay our first buy in with that we've never had an issue of not having small enough bills.

3. links_slayer

links_slayer Master of the 3-Putt Par
    Lifetime Supporter

as a player, i expect to cash out for the exact amount of chips i have.

as the house, i don't expect to come out ahead or behind by rounding up or down.

i don't know why anyone would round up or down when cashing out. i keep a "bank" of $20-$25 with quarters, $1's and $5's and make sure that at the end of the night i have what i started with.

4. detroitdad

detroitdad Well-Known Member

same here.

We do $50 buy ins. I keep 5 in quarters, 20 1's, 8 5's, and a couple of 10's in the bank. I cash out the players for their exact amount. I have never had a person take the odd change, but I give it to them. If they leave it on the table, nothing I can do about that.

Several players even leave their odd 1's to help with soda/pizza. I don't ask. It's usually the regulars. I do the same at their place.

In my bank I keep 100's at all times. That covers two of my buy in's. When I'm done with the tourney I can grab my 50 in chips and jump right in.

Also I'm the only one running the bank, even if I'm still playing in the tourney. Its only a slight hassle and I don't allow it to slow the tourney down.

B

5. checkm8r

checkm8r Well-Known Member

I've passed out change to-date, but I think I'll start rounding up or down from now on (up for .50 and above, down otherwise). Messing w/ change is a hassle.

6. imperial10

imperial10 Creativity Alliance

Welcome to the boards.

I play micro stakes nickel/dime and I keep about $3 in nickels and $5 in dimes and like $5 in quarters. All in a pouch thats about 130 coins. I started this amount about 2 months ago and I still have about 90 coins to cash out people to the exact amount with. People always want bills anyway. But I advice people to bring singles if they can.

7. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

Same here.

8. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

We take any change less than a dollar from each player, and put it in the pot and each of us gets 5 cards. The best hand gets all the change left over. That way we don't need change for cashing out.

The person with the least amount in the pot really makes out if they win. Great Bonus for the night. Really makes things easier this way.

9. guinness

guinness Degen Gatekeeper
    Lifetime Supporter

I round down if its under a buck, but Phil (Arrowwood) usually brings his vendor change clicker to dispense quarters if need be.

10. BenjaminDonut

BenjaminDonut Member

Many thanks for your responses- and for the welcome. I'm with checkm8r - I find counting out piles of coins (we play microstakes) at the end of a session a real pain. I think I'll try RussB42's method

though I'm sure there'll be someone who'll complain.

There's just one question: are the five cards hands dealt to everyone, or only to players with change less than a dollar?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  11. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

Only those who have change comming, less than even dollar amounts.

12. JeromyinWV

JeromyinWV ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

We play .50/1 and we never use change. We always just give odd chips to whoever is the closest to $1. One of the regulars works as a bartender at strip club and always has plenty of ones. If someone that plays at our game whines about losing a quarter, then they dont need to be playing at that game and will not be invited back. You need to play at stakes you are comfortable with and if a quarter is that big of a deal, you are playing to high stakes or need to get new friends lol!

13. Quads

Quads Creativity Alliance

Buying chips: Give me $200 in cash, I give you 200 in chips.

Cash out: At the end of the night the guy has $1,285 in chips, I give him exactly $1,285 in cash.

I've never set expectations for donations or rounding up. That being said, I've also never been pissed off that someone never 'dropped a few bucks in the coffee can'.

14. jspearm1983

jspearm1983 Well-Known Member

If I'm playing the friendly .25/.5 home games that I usually play in, I'm fine with the cashier rounding my change down to the nearest dollar amount.

When I run my home game, a very social home game where no-one even cares about the poker game, we usually trade the change around to make everyones stacks dollar amounts.

At my house, we play .25/.5, $20 buy-in (I know, that's to small for those levels), and a girl once bought in with a $100 bill. The rest of us looked at her like she was crazy. We were thinking, "How does she expect us to cash out with that?" After that I wanted to institute a rule, "Cashouts will be rounded down to the smallest bill you bought in for." (I never instituted the rule)

15. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    At my game, I pay out the exact amounts. Usually the smallest denom is a quarter $0.25/$0.50 NLHE). Most of the time somebody with an extra quarter will give it to a person who is a quarter shy. If somebody leaves their quarters on the table, they go back into the quarter jar.

At away games, I don't mind rounding.

16. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

At games I host, I cash out chips for exact amount.

17. AceDeuceNoUse

AceDeuceNoUse Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm not the host, but the guy who does host of our weekly .25/.50 NL asks that if anyone has orphan .25's, help fill in the missing $1 stacks to even out the cash-ins. It's a friendly game (unless I'm on a heater :happy: j/k), and no one is hard up for quarters.