Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

CAN/US money issue with IP

Discussion in 'Online Poker' started by spikeithard, Aug 6, 2014.

1. spikeithard

spikeithard Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Hey so I am in Canada where you can play with real money online. (sorry guys down south)

But I have a fortinet IP security box which changes my IP address to be in the US.
    When I logged into stars with my US IP address, it gave me notice to not try and play real money. I then tried to add funds but could not obviously..

I had to log off that wifi account and go into my standard ISP's wifi that is based in Canada to put money into my account. I would rather not have to switch WIFI accounts everytime I want to play.

my question is since the money is now in my account on stars, can I log into my US based IP address and play with it? or will they maybe freeze my account?
    my bank I am set up with on stars is a Canadian bank and using my Canadian social insurance number as deposit requirements

2. bpbenda

bpbenda Premium Supporter
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

It doesn't matter if you have money in your account or not, or whether your account is based in another country other than the USA, you cannot make financial transactions or play real money games in any capacity from a USA-based IP address. You will have to run off a Canadian IP in order to play real money. If to want to play with play chips, no problem, anywhere in the world, but not real money.

3. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    I think you already know the answer to this, and ianal, but my advice is don't even try. Switching back and forth may be inconvenient but it's much better than having your account and your funds frozen. Internet forums are full of posts from players whose accounts have been frozen, and the sites' modus operandi is to freeze first and ask questions later.

Look at it from Stars' point of view. You claim to be in Canada but it looks like you're playing from the US. How can they be sure? Because you said so? If I were running that site, I'd block you too.

4. wartdog

wartdog Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    usa players wish that was their only problem....i dont feel your pain!!:cry:

log in under canada, enjoy the real money games, consider yourself fortunate and good luck at the tables

ps "But I have a fortinet IP security box which changes my IP address to be in the US.".....can i get one of those to look like i live in canada? :wink:

5. spikeithard

Supporter

Seems pretty clear now.. Its too bad because I dont like running my pc through unsecured connection. I love knowing everything is being filtered through a secure cloud in the US.

thanks

6. cdnmoose

cdnmoose Well-Known Member

There will be no issue with Stars freezing your account if you try but the US IP will prevent you from using real money.

Happens to me all the time when I am in Niagara Falls Can but many hotels there use US IP so Stars thinks I am in Niagara Falls USA.

7. cdnmoose

Having a Canadian IP wont help you unless you have a Canadian mailing address (and proof) as well.

But it looks like Stars might be pulling out of Canada, since a Canadian company recently bought Stars. Stars has already dropped sponsorship for their next event in Montreal.

@playgroundpoker

Hey everyone:

1. Due to unforeseen circumstances, PokerStars has withdrawn their branding from the event.

2. The Festival will be held as scheduled with no changes.

3. The Guarantees will remain in place for the Kickoff Event (Event 1) and the Main Event (Event 10).

4. Online satellite winners will get their seats as usual.

5. Live satellites will continue as normal and all published guarantees will remain for satellites.

6. There is no change to the Mega Overlay being held this weekend.

7. As far as we understand, PokerStars has stopped running satellites online for this event

8. spikeithard

Supporter

thats not good at all if Canada goes too along with the US. ouch

9. 200 Motels

200 Motels Well-Known Member

10. cdnmoose

Now that Amaya owns P* and is a publicly traded company and comes under Canadian regulations it seems likely they will be unable to continue to offer poker to Canadians, just like Bodog was restricted as they were based in BC. As P* have already pulled sponsorship from the tournament series at the Playground in Montreal and dropped their online sats for both this tourney and an earlier one in Alberta, it seems likely that the next step will be to completely block Canadians from their site.

11. 200 Motels

200 Motels Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that the cancellations are unrelated. I'm sure we all are. Aren't each province's respective lotto commissions working on a regulated online poker? I thought that was going to be a thing.

12. Craig D

Craig D Well-Known Member

You don't want this to happen to you

Greetings from PokerStars.

Your account has been frozen as we have determined it was accessed from a foreign location without your knowledge. We have conducted a full investigation into your account and we believe that your PokerStars password may have been compromised by a virus or key-logger.

Our facts to support this are as follows:

The logins to your account show no failed attempts; whoever accessed your account knew your password perfectly.

Computer finger printing technology is utilized by our Security Team in order to determine which computer your account was accessed from. In this case, our investigation concludes that your account was accessed from a foreign computer in US where no logins were previously detected from. It is therefore possible that a keylogger was installed on a computer that you have previously used to connect to PokerStars.

With regards to the bankroll in your account, fortunately there was no real money activity during this access.

In order to reinstate your account with a new password and PokerStars PIN, we would like to ask you that you please:

1. scan / reformat your computer and remove any virus or malwares detected

2. change the password on your e-mail account.

3. provide us with a clear digital photo of you holding your ID document (please make sure your equipment is clean from keyloggers before sending, to avoid compromising). Please make sure that your full name, date of birth and the expiry date of the document are clearly readable.

You can send this to security@pokerstars.com

Finally, you may wish to visit the following link which offers suggestions on keeping your password secure and details about additional security features offered by PokerStars:

PokerStars Poker Password Security - Poker Passwords
    RSA Security Token - Online Poker Account Protection - PokerStars

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Regards,

Carolina
    PokerStars Security Team

PokerStars will NEVER ask you to confirm your login credentials or password via email, phone or chat facility or in any way. We do not advise giving your login information to anyone under any circumstances.

Enhance the security of your account using "SMS Validation", a free service which will notify you via text message when our system detect any potential irregularities with the operation of your account. Activate this feature via the ‘SMS Security Options’ located in the ‘Account’ menu dropdown in the PokerStars Lobby’