Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Best Cigars

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by jb12, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Button Potato

Button Potato World Series Final Table
    Lifetime Supporter

Shannon - yes it is illegal to import cigar (or anything else) from Cuba. The embargo started in the early 1960's. There are a few trusted ways to get them here and I'd be happy to help you out if you want.

2. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

As far as Cuban cigars go, it is a shame, but pretty much everywhere in the world can enjoy them except the USA. Like BP said, you can reliably get them if you really want them and are willing to pay.

3. jb12

jb12 Well-Known Member

Just had a Trinidad Fundadore.
    Very nice!!:cigar:

4. Nightstar

Nightstar Well-Known Member

Probably one of the best Cuban cigars is the Vegas Robaina Don Alechandro!
    You should definitely try them.

Dominik

5. K ALL IN 9

K ALL IN 9 Well-Known Member

they sell cubans on base here in germany. i had a few back around christmas, dont know what's so special about them. maybe for those back in the states its about having something thats not readily available?

6. daschuck77

daschuck77 Well-Known Member

Sorry, no Cubans here but I am a big fan of the Kuba Kuba and Toast Acids from Drew Estate...I guess I am a Drew Estate fan overall.

[​IMG]

Love the Liga Privada Undercrown!

[​IMG]

Also a great smoke and good bang for the buck is the Brickhouse.

[​IMG]

7. palmimports

palmimports Well-Known Member

romeo y juliette reserva real churchills
    one of the BEST smokes ive found
    atlanticcigar.com in PA has the ebst prices for cigars since PA doesnt have huge tobacco taxes
    these run me 102.00 per box of 25 and their shipping is free or really cheap

8. palmimports

palmimports Well-Known Member

I'll 2nd that- but for someone like myself that smokes 6+ a day I would have to raise chip prices ALOT to afford this many ona daily basis
    but-- its def one great smoke

9. xtwalker

xtwalker Well-Known Member

I can't believe I just found this thread. You guys may have noticed I use a cigar cutter as a card protector, and it makes its way into most of my chipstack pictures.

I am currently doing a ton of:

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur (Epicure Cuts)
    Various Rocky Patel 60 guages (Sun Grown and Royal Vintage are two of my favorites)
    Romeo y Julieta Churchills (1875, I don't care of the Real Reserva's unless they are aged a long time)
    Brick House smokes are great for the money, and I can grab them at the NEX right up the street from me when I don't want to mail order.
    Surprisingly I like a lot of the stuff from Black Pearl. Not great, but a great value. Doing more and more of them with each order I make.

From the cuban side my favorites are:

Romeo y Julieta Wide Churchills (amazing smoke, just amazing, especially if you age them for a while
    Montecristo #2's - For some reason I have trouble keeping them well maintained - they dry out a bit quick, no matter how much attention I give to them and the humidor. So creamy and delicious though, especially when they get a bit of age without drying.
    Punch Coronas - these were my everyday value cigar when I was overseas. A narrow gauge and fairly short, so not very time consuming, the draw was a bit tough, and it burned a bit unevenly, but amazing taste and just so smooth. The flavor really builds to an great sweet spot at the bottom 1/3.
    Partagas Serie 4 would always do in a pinch as well

10. xtwalker

K, are you sure you are buying real Cubans on that base, not just the same brand name being used by non-cuban producers? Is it a NATO base or an American Base? The American exchanges can't legally sell cubans on base, but a lot of brand names are used by cuban and non-cuban producers.

I asked about it being a NATO base since I used to buy stuff from the dutch and british PXs in Kandahar, but couldn't buy them from the American PXs.

11. tommythecat

tommythecat Well-Known Member

Have not had a Toast yet, but I have enjoyed the Kuba Kuba. I love Blondies for a quick smoke. I recently had an Acid One for the first time. Was a great smoke and I immediately bought 3 more to throw in the humidor.

My dad is really huge into cigars and always has a few to pass to my brother and me when we see him. Usually a Fuente Sun Grown and a random. Christmas time there are always a handful in our stockings. Always higher end with at least 1 Opus X. I don't smoke them very often, but there is always a good selection to choose from in my humidor!!

12. K ALL IN 9

K ALL IN 9 Well-Known Member

It is a NATO base and it's not affiliated with AAFES. They call it the Canadian Support Unit which is basically like a shoppette that sells canadian products (we also have a british one too). They sell Cohibas, Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta etc. The lady that works there said she's not technically supposed to sell them to American DoD ID card holders. pretty sure they're real but then again i know nothing about cigars

13. xtwalker

Almost certainly legit then. Guess I know where I am headed next time I am in Germany. =)

14. daschuck77

OK...just picked up a Drew Estate Liga Privada No. 9 and am excited to try it out. Apparently this smoke is the cigar of choice from most of the Drew Estate blenders. Anyone else have a favorable/negative opinion of this stick?

[​IMG]

15. badpokerplayer

badpokerplayer Well-Known Member

Padron ...1926 serie anniversario ..maduro wrapper FTW!

16. jadillon

jadillon Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Good Stick. For a slightly cheaper alternative try a Drew Estates Undercrown.

:cigar:

17. daschuck77

Love the Undercrown! It's just so hard to find his big brother, the Liga Privada #9 out there. The undercrown right now is one of my favorites.

18. ranger764

ranger764 Well-Known Member

Finally tried that Undercrown last night. Loved it. Have to get a few more online as I paid $9 for one stick at my local store.