Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

BAD BAD BEAT.."AA" PRE FLOP, 12 Plrs Left

Discussion in 'Online Poker' started by RussB42, Mar 22, 2014.

1. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

Last night I was in an Online Tourney, 270+ Players, and was playing my Best in a Long Time.

We got to 12 Players left and I was in 9th place, paid 10 places. The flop came and I had Ace / Ace pre flop, went all in to try and get into 4th place.

This Damm "DONK" who was in 2nd place already , called me with a Jack/7 off -suit.

Turn came a 7 and the river came a 7 and I was really upset!!!!

I played for 2 1/2 hours and was feeling real good , knowing I was going to get into at lest 4th place with this hand and maybe even ending up winning the Tourney.

Where do these people come from playing this close to the End of the Tourney, and calling with these cards, which could have put them out of the Tourney completely???

STILL PI**ED OFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Preflop action is probably more important than results, what happened before the flop?

3. ygotrader

ygotrader Well-Known Member

Always hate to see that type of thing. Can you give more preflop detail? What position were you in? How many behind when you shoved? What were your image and his image and those of any raisers/blinds? What were your effective stacks?

These are the sort of things I would try to look at. Better luck next time!

4. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

I've had people berate me online for calling 25K all in shoves with 74o when I have 200K and already in the BB for 10K... much more info needed.

5. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

I was in 4th or 5th position and everyone had checked to me. The caller I think was in 7th place in front of the Small Blind or maybe the Small Blind. Can't remember.

My Image had to be that I usually only called or raised when I had a GOOD Hand... especially the past 15 minutes or so I played TIGHT...

6. Ronoh

Ronoh Well-Known Member
    Supporter

With you in 9th and him in 2nd, stack sizes are the most important factor here. You image means almost absolutely nothing in this particular situation.

7. Trihonda

Trihonda Well-Known Member

You noted the donk was second place in chips (you were in 9th). Can you tell us the amounts?

8. SixSpeedFury

SixSpeedFury Well-Known Member

Were you 9th position or 9th in chip stacks? A lot of clarity is needed there. If he had a massive stack and you were really short then I can see it. J7 though...

9. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

I had around 18K and he had around 30K if I remember right.

Most players were from 8K to 50/70K at the time. I think I was in the middle stack size.

I had a few beers by then and can't fully remember. I usually just watch how the players have been playing as well as the chips they have.

Wish I could add more....

This player hasn't been raising a lot or had gone-all-inasfar as I can remember.

10. wartdog

wartdog Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    my very first online tourney i cashed in, i folded AA twice in the last ten hands just so i would be assured a cash after spending hours on this freeroll, sort of stupid but hey $82 cash was worth it..AA gets cracked online its seems way too often....click this and punch in AA and you may be surprised of the odds...maybe not

Free Poker Odds Calculator for Texas Holdem | PokerNews

11. db

db Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, Russ. Variance sucks. You'll get em next time!

loldonkaments

12. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

I came close to folding the A/A and wish I had now. Got greedy I guess !!!!!

I'll prob never learn....but this was a good awaking....

13. db

db Well-Known Member

NEVER! You're about an 86% favorite with AA v. J7o.

If they'll call off with hands like that, you just got a license to print money. :)

14. xtwalker

xtwalker Well-Known Member

Russ,

You should be able to get the hand history for the entire tournament, the way to do that depends on what site you were playing on. There should be instructions on the site's website for how to download the history.

Once you get the hand history you can scroll down to the bottom of the text document and copy and paste the hand directly into this thread - most of us will be able to read the raw data and give you so more meaningful feedback.

As it is, we can offer sympathy and some empathy (we've all been there at some level) - but we can likely offer a lot more if you post the hand itself.

XT

15. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

did you limp or raise pre-flop? If raise, how many big blinds worth?

16. BGinGA

BGinGA Banned

Aha, so that was YOU.....

:wink:

17. steverino

steverino Well-Known Member

I remember early in my online days, there were 4-5 limpers, the button min-raises, and I'm in the big blind with 2-5 offsuit. I call, as does the remaining limpers. The flop comes with two fives, we all check to the button who shoves. I call, the others fold and he shows AA. I win the pot, he is still in and very short-stacked. For the rest of the time until he busts, he calls me a donkey and explains to me how he has been playing extremely tight and since he raised we all should have folded - especially me with 2-5 off. I didn't bother to explain to him how terrible his play was, but for some reason this particular hand sticks with me. It has always amused me how the ones who call everyone a donk seem to bust out early. Apparently their version of "donk" means not playing the way they want you to play.
    Anybody can play any cards the way they like. The ones who play badly are the ones I remember and are the ones who I look for in future tourneys. This guy with J-7 may have played badly, but over time you will most likely come out ahead.

18. RussB42

RussB42 Faux Clay Nation
    Supporter

I'm sorry about calling this person a "Donkey", this is what others in the hand posted after it was over.

Your right about how some of us play, and I prob do it myself sometimes. I have also been called the Donkey many times.

I can't paste & post or whatever, as I am not wise enough to do it. I'm just a "Simple Poker Player" and haven't had a Beat like this for a long time, so close to the End of a Tourney.

JUST WANTED TO VENT !!!!!

19. lnlver

lnlver Well-Known Member

In tourney play this deep, your play is determined by your stack size. How many big blinds did you have? If it's 10 or less, you shove this hand. Your only options at that point are fold or shove. If it's 15 or more, you can bet 5 or 6 big blinds pre-flop and and shove the rest after the flop. Your bet should depend on where you are in relation to the blinds, amount other things such as your image, others' images.

I was talking to a guy who had played in a re-buy tournament. He had pocket aces early, and went all-in. Just about everyone who had limped, called him and he lost the hand. Just goes to show pocket aces are really only strong against one player in many situations, not all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014