Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Back in the days of Plastic-Interlocking Chips...

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by checkm8r, Jul 9, 2009.

1. checkm8r

checkm8r Well-Known Member

Question for the old-school CT'ers out there. How did you assign cash values to the old plastic interlocking chips? Did you assign specific dollar values to each of the different-colored chips (e.g., white = .25, red = $1, blue = $5), or did you just assign a certain value to the lowest chip, and from then on just use/bet them as units? For example, you'd say "I'll see your three and raise you 4 more" ... instead of referencing dollar values thereafter?

I'm reading some old poker books published prior to the Holdem craze. Each one says that the standard for chips is White = 1, Red = 5 Whites, Blue = 10 Whites, etc. Calls the chips "units." Then you assign white to whatever cash value you want, .10, .25, etc. I can't remember if this was the way we did it back then or not.

2. gmunny

gmunny #21
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Back in college, we assigned different colors to a different value. We played what we called "nickle, dime, quarter". And yes, we used those cheap interlocking plastic chips, too. Oohh the horror..There was no such thing as dice chips, yet.

I think our breakdown went like this:

.05= red
    .10= white
    .25= blue
    .50= yellow

3. checkm8r

I do remember playing penny-ante and what we called "nickel-dime-quarter" games w/ cash. I remember thinking a quarter was a BIG bet

4. johnph77

johnph77 Well-Known Member

Assigned values, and those were dependent on the game being played.

And, say what you want about them, after hearing the horror stories about clays and composites going to hell when used outdoors, the plastics were (and, IMHO, still are) the best chips for outdoor games.

I still have my set.....

5. checkm8r

Long live the chips of yesteryear! well, they did stack pretty well. :)

Attached Files:

6. cgraham86

cgraham86 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

We didn't use them. We actually played with nickels, dimes and quarters because we always had change jars sitting around, and no one wanted to go buy chips. We'd cap the betting rounds at a dollar, and usually played dealers choice, which happen to be 5 car draw most of the time with some 5 or 7 card stud thrown in. I think we set the ante at something wierd like 0.02 or something because we wanted people to feel compelled to call the minimum bet of 0.05.

7. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

i was a teenager last time I used interlocking chips for poker and I cant remember what demons we chose. I just remember that we played them as pennies, nickel at most. My first real games were with super diamonds, and they were the same three colors (white red and blue). THose denons changed as the game changed, but mostly it was white as .125, red as .25 (two bits) and blue as $1. when I added some nice 7g suited chips (think dice chips without the slug) we added black and purple to the game. THosed also changed denoms depending on the game.

until I got the chip bug and bought my first Chipco customs (the Egyptians), i didnt know about standard denom colors.

8. gpc

gpc Well-Known Member

I wouldn't qualify as old school and really didn't really like poker until the last few years but my dad still plays with nickels, dimes and quarters. I don't know what game though:embarras:

But I always see "old" chipsets available online noticed that all the old chips sets were usually consisted of 50 white, 25 red and 25 blue. Along with the thinking that "blue chips" were the highest value.

I think it was Gaming Ore once replied to a question I posted and said that this breakdown and colors worked well for Seven card stud and with the whites used for antes and bring in, red for the small bet and blue for the big bet.

Sorry for the rambling but how the "old school" chips were used and breakdowns always interested me.

9. checkm8r

Yes, I remember hearing/reading this somewhere, too. That the term "blue chip stocks" came from the fact that blue chips in poker have the highest value.

I find this interesting for some reason, too. Probably nostalgia in my case.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  10. checkm8r

The first time I used super diamonds, I thought they were awesome chips (when comparing to the interlocking ones). I do think the ones we played w/ that time where a little heavier/better quality than the typical SD today, but maybe not.

11. imperial10

imperial10 Creativity Alliance

Imagine if your interlocking chips came like this......Imagine :happy:

[​IMG]

12. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

One of my relatives still has a carousel of old plastic chips in three colors and we do assign value to them. Reds are typically .05c, blues .25c and whites $1.

13. gmunny

gmunny #21
    Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    Now that is pretty funny, imp! I wonder if they are oversized? :)

My interlocking chips are probably older than you..heck probably most of the people on this board. :stunned:

14. Lottery Larry

Lottery Larry Well-Known Member

I always assigned monetary values