Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Are Addon Chips in Play?

Discussion in 'Home Poker Rules' started by justsomedude, Apr 2, 2015.

1. justsomedude

justsomedude Well-Known Member

We recently instituded Addon chips in my home tourney games. Each player is given two "anytime" addon chips that they can use to buy 5k in chips for $10 (we play low stakes).

Typically, the Addon chips are turned in with their $10 at the first break (when rebuys and addons end) or between hands, to increase their stack. The question came up... Can addon chips be used to represent the "to be purchased" 5k addon, and put into play? I realize we can set our own rules, but I'd like to know what's normal/appropriate. Is an Addon chip normally considered "live"?

What's the "standard" ruling on this?

2. CdnBeerLover

CdnBeerLover ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

In our games, we have a rebuy chip. Since you have the option to rebuy, it doesn't represent anything until it is cashed in. I would treat an add-on chips the same way...it has no value until cashed in and converted to real chips.

ovo and justsomedude like this.
  3. justsomedude

justsomedude Well-Known Member

Thanks, Cdn. That's how we played it as well... just wasn't sure if that was the right approach since we hadn't used them before.

Thank you!!

4. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    Agreed, but with one exception. If a player wanted to add on between hands but was unable to get his chips because the host was in the middle of a hand or out of the room or whatever, I think it would be OK for the player to announce that he's adding on between hands, putting his add-on chip is in play. The add-on chip would then be exchanged for real chips as soon as possible. This seems fair because a player wanting to add on shouldn't be forced to wait for another hand or two because the host is busy doing something else.

justsomedude likes this.
  5. atomiktoaster

atomiktoaster Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, add-on and rebuy chips seem to be more of a way of tracking who has used up that option, and they probably shouldn't be transferable.

We've messed around with the idea of show 'em chips being transferrable, traded between players in exchange for tournament chips. They seem to be used a little too frequently and easily in those cases.

justsomedude likes this.
  6. TTEMD

TTEMD Well-Known Member

Neither are in play

7. Bruce M

Bruce M Well-Known Member

Think of the addon as representing cash in your wallet that has not come into play yet . If it was a cash game you would not let a person reach into wallet mid hand to add to pot. Its only slightly confusing because it is an actual chip. A person could have the same thing with no chip in front of them and have the right to addon anytime between hands. I agree with the other person who said as soon as the player said he activated the addon it is in play for better or worse. So If I say between hands I am adding on and the next hand before the host as brought the chips big stack at the table goes all in I have to commit the addon chips as well to call.

CdnBeerLover, abby99 and justsomedude like this.
  8. QuiQuog

QuiQuog Well-Known Member

If it was "live" you'd have to put it in the pot when calling an all in. If not, how could you consider it part of your stack?

9. Bloody Marvellous

Bloody Marvellous Well-Known Member

An add-on chip is used to allow a player to add to or replenish their existing chipstack, so it can't be live until it has been used. Otherwise the chip loses its function and you might as well give the player all of his chips at the beginning of the game.

Rebuy or add-on options are never transferred to another player. If you're allowing players the option to rebuy or add-on, that option is for that player only.