Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Antonio Esfandiari's Chip Tricks DVD

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Tricks' started by jamby, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jamby

jamby Creativity Alliance

Has anybody else picked up the Antonion Esfandiari book "In The Money" yet?

It includes a DVD on chip tricks that I was really looking forward to. It's not only a pretty weak poker book - barely average and is a lot more about Antonio's personality than it is a good poker instruction. I was really disappointed though by the Chip Tricks video. I expected a ton more than it held. It's barely 5 minutes or so long and includes only three chip tricks - the riffle, the pullover and the spin and twirl. Not only are there only three tricks, but the instruction that Antonio offers is really weak and not very helpful.

I got excited for a minute when viewing when the 'bonus tricks' chapter started, but they were actually card tricks instead. Not only were they weak tricks, but weak chips as well - WPT plastics.

Pretty disappointing.

[​IMG]

2. Zreyburn

Zreyburn Well-Known Member

Hooray for Alibris.com, and super cheap used books. I'd be angry if I spent more than $4 on this book and DVD.

3. jamby

I'm not angry, but am seriously disappointed and I did spend quite a bit more than $4 for it too.

Do you have it as well? Comments?

4. DAACEIZBACK

DAACEIZBACK Well-Known Member

super system and sklansky's advanced poker ish all i need. but sorry that you were bamboozled by antonio. like poker players wanna know card tricks. CA MON!!! :yell: :razz: :happy:

thanks for letting the chiptalkers know whats up with it.:wink:

5. jamby

Thanks for the consolation. I love Sklansky and Brunson and the other greats for sure. I also love reading about poker from other authors too and the hybrid books that combine instruction and biography are often a good read. This book got some good reviews at Amazon and since it included the Chip Tricks DVD looked like it might be worthwhile. Unfortunately, the included Chip Tricks DVD is even weaker than the text. You're right about the card tricks - what's that all about?

6. djexacto

djexacto Well-Known Member

I have this as well, and its crap. The book just seems like there was no effort put into it. I read it once a year ago and I can only remember one thing that antonio had to say..."don't tell bad beat stories"

My latest read was the Full Tilt Strategg Guide: Tournament Edition.
    Amazon.com: The Full Tilt Poker Strategy Guide: Tournament Edition: Books: Andy Bloch,Richard Brodie,Chris Ferguson,Ted Forrest,Rafe Furst,Phil Gordon,David Grey,Howard Lederer,Mike Matusow,Michael Craig

This was an incredible book, despite the sponsorship. Howard Lederer does a great job on some of the finer points in Limit Holdem, as well as a great "leverage" chapter on NL. The only chapter I couldn't get through was Andy Bloch's section. Too much math. I mean, I don't mind some pott odds, probability, implied odds, even a bit of game theory, but this chapter is over the top. If you're in to the math side of poker, I'm sure its a great chapter. I would recommend this book highly to anyone, and put it up on my list just below Harrington on Holdem, and just above little green/blue books.

7. Zreyburn

Zreyburn Well-Known Member

I got it through Alibris.com, which has a bunch of used book sellers and lower (although still too high) shipping rates than Amazon, and the same amount of competitiveness among the sellers. So essentially, you pay $.99 per book, plus about $3 shipping if you order a lot from the same seller. I recently got 8 poker books for $35 from the same seller, including Killer Poker and Killer Poker Workbook, Tao of Poker, Johny Magic and the Card Shark Kids (a must read if you ever played Magic the Gathering or anther TCG, or if you liked One of a Kind), and this book. It was quite sad, that I think I learned more from the autobiography in Johny Magic than this book.

8. omar

omar Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jamby, I plunked down whatever Barnes & Noble gets for the book. Kinda bought it on a whim one day. Didn't get squat out of it. Thought the DVD was weak also. I guess it's just way too easy to get a book published these days.

9. _GUN_

_GUN_ Well-Known Member

there are some nice videos online available, if you want to learn chip tricks for free. if you have Netflix, you can get a chip tricks dvd with a ton of tricks, just as one of your monthly rentals. i watched one last week.

10. jamby

Do you recall the title?

11. _GUN_

_GUN_ Well-Known Member

Poker: The Complete Chip & Card Handling Series (with Rich Ferguson)

It's a series, disc 1 focuses solely on chip tricks. It could've been edited better, but it's broken up, so that each trick is a chapter and you can keep hitting the seek button to rewind the chapter instantly.