Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Another Freakin Bad Beat

Discussion in 'Poker Stories and Bad Beats' started by KingZilla, Jun 22, 2008.

1. KingZilla

KingZilla Well-Known Member

From tonight's tourney: I'm on the button with J9 clubs. I raise just double the BB hoping to steal the blinds. sb folds, bb calls. Flop is K79 rainbow. Check to me and I c-bet. bb calls. Turn is a 9 and I'm all in. bb calls but has less chips, so I pull back a few hundred over. We turn the cards, she has 9-10 to my J-9, so I'm all happy that I've got K,J,999 to her K,10,999. Now this is one of the luckiest donk players to play my game, so now I'm rooting for LOW cards so I don't have to split the pot with her. It never --- in my wildest imagination --- occured to me that she could WIN, but sure enough the river was a 10, giving her the boat. Yet another time I get my money in good only to be RIVERED. Arrrgh!!!

2. Irish Se7en

Irish Se7en Insane Irish
    Lifetime Supporter

I'm not quite sure how it was a real bad beat but okay.

3. monkeydog

monkeydog Well-Known Member

lol min raiseaments!!!11!!1!

4. KingZilla

Yep, you are right. It's not like J-9 suited is my favorite hand, I just wanted to steal the blinds but I should have raised at least 3x bb. Another DOH!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  5. weak

weak Well-Known Member
    Supporter

what he said

6. KingZilla

I'm not real good at this, but I think that after the turn card came I was close to a 75% vs. her 25% chance of winning, probably closer to 80/20.

7. Irish Se7en

Irish Se7en Insane Irish
    Lifetime Supporter

I'm not saying that you weren't ahead, I'm just saying that it wasn't that bad of beat.

What I will say is that if you choose to steal the blinds then pull up your skirt and make a raise that isn't the minimum. :wink:

I can't fault the caller with the T9 for making a bad play. She may have been lucky for hitting her boat but she wasn't the one who made the donk play to start the hand. :wink:

8. KingZilla

Ouch. I've admitted I should have raised 3x bb min. That was my mistake. I had the remaining sb and bb out-chipped. I don't think raising from the button with j-9s was a donk play? I guess I had to post this, because this particular lady is a BAD, but WILDLY LUCKY player. She chases draws constantly, most times throwing bad money after good. I don't blame her for calling with a set of 9's.. I just wanted to vent, because once again this "River Queen" sucked out on me. It crippled my stack. This happens in poker, but I always get my money in against her to the good and get sucked out on more than usual odds would dictate. I said it before and I'll say it again: "Its a good thing skill is an element of this game because my opponents have all the LUCK". Will mention that this player RARELY cashes in the tourneys while I mostly do. Your points are well taken though and objective comments are welcomed. Sometimes ...you just need to vent.:cool:

9. Irish Se7en

Irish Se7en Insane Irish
    Lifetime Supporter

I may have been a tad harsh, so for that I apologize.

I don't fault you raising on the button, I just wished you raised at least 3x's the bb. Knowing how she plays, would she have called that type of raise with her T9 hand? If so, I would have folded preflop and just waited until I had a better hand.

In the end, you got it in good but she just rivered you.