Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

Angry Mallard

Discussion in 'Custom Chips General' started by bsw179, Aug 30, 2015.

1. bsw179

bsw179 Well-Known Member

Finally decided on a manufacturer, The Chip Lab.
    Attached are a couple examples of the samples I received.

I wanted show the design one more time before I have them made in case there is any last minute input.
    The last free things I am trying to decide on are:

1) To keep the gradient on the chips. The digital picture looks really cool with gradient, but it almost looks like part of the chip is faded on the actual orange chip seen in the picture.

2) Whether to leave the edges blank on the non-camo cash chips or to try to come up with some sort of text, symbol or edge sport for the non-camo cash chips.

3) to make the $1 chip camo or not. Simply because I like the camo chips so much, and the $1 will by far be the most used chip in any cash game I host. Possibly same could be said for T100 chip. If I do something like this I will have to change the $100 chip, but it will be rarely used. Same for the T set, if I change the T100 to camo I would most likely have to change the T1000 color.

I am open to any other last minute suggestions any of you may have. For some this may be the first time you have seen this chip, but many of you will remember the design threads posted last year. If you search for "angry mallard" you can see how I got to where I am with the chip.

Attached Files:

Chip Magnet likes this.
  2. bsw179

bsw179 Well-Known Member

Cash Chips
    I obviously will not have all these chips in play, and some will never be used together like the .5. and .10 or the .25 and .50 or the $20 and $25. I just made the designs for all possible chips that a person might want to use with this set

Attached Files:

• 5c.png
      5c.png
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
    • 10c.png
      10c.png
      File size:
      98.7 KB
      Views:
    • 25c.png
      25c.png
      File size:
      109.2 KB
      Views:
    • 50c.png
      50c.png
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
    • $1.png
      $1.png
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
    • $2.png
      $2.png
      File size:
      106.5 KB
      Views:
    • $5.png
      $5.png
      File size:
      100.3 KB
      Views:
    • $10.png
      $10.png
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
    • $20.png
      $20.png
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    • $25.png
      $25.png
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
    • $100.png
      $100.png
      File size:
      99.4 KB
      Views:
  3. bsw179

bsw179 Well-Known Member

Tournament chips

Attached Files:

• 25.png
      25.png
      File size:
      105.8 KB
      Views:
    • 100.png
      100.png
      File size:
      100.3 KB
      Views:
    • 500.png
      500.png
      File size:
      106.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1000.png
      1000.png
      File size:
      98.8 KB
      Views:
    • 5000.png
      5000.png
      File size:
      105.7 KB
      Views:
    • 25000.png
      25000.png
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
  4. bsw179

bsw179 Well-Known Member

Bonus chips

Attached Files:

5. NanaBanana

NanaBanana Good Will Ambassador/Mod
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Media:
    Albums:
    I really like this set. It's cool. Unusual and different. Vibrant colors. I think it's awesome! Though I like every single one of them, my favorite in the Cash Chips: $5 Red, Tourney $500 Purple......and I really love that plaque!

Would love to have a sample set of these, if and when you get them made. :wink:

6. CdnBeerLover

CdnBeerLover ChipTalk.net Supporter
    Supporter

My $0.02...I would remove the gradient. It's subtle enough that the effect is lost when printed.

I would just go with the denomination. Maybe 4 occurances equally spaced apart?

That's a personal decision. If you think you'll regret not doing it later on, do it!

These look great. Nicely done. If you offer samples, please add me to the list.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    NanaBanana likes this.
  7. atomiktoaster

atomiktoaster Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I go back and forth with denoms on the edges of ceramics. I might just put 8 diamonds to match the two on either side of the duck. I wouldn't do red, just something with a slightly contrasting shade of the base color.

For the gradient, maybe you can center it, rather than offsetting it to one side. It might add some implied curvature to the ring area that could look cool. As is, it can be a little weird if the lighting doesn't match the angle of the gradient.

I think you can keep the camo on the "means business" denoms. You can have some $5s in a $30 buy-in, and the 1000s get plenty of tournament play, so it's not like you'll never see one. No reason to post blinds with a camo chip.

I'm super excited to see these come up again! However you decide to go with the design, I'd love a sample set too, and I'm not usually a fan of ceramics.

8. Chip Magnet

Chip Magnet Well-Known Member

They look bill........or do i mean brill...........super designs though all of them.

9. SixSpeedFury

SixSpeedFury Well-Known Member

Wow I was wondering if these were made or not! Good to see them come around!

10. CHP TD

CHP TD Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    dont change a thing they are AWSOME

How can i get a sample set? Seriously i really want samples of this set.

there is just nothing like it around.

Aussie Geoff

11. bsw179

bsw179 Well-Known Member

I will make sure I touch base with all of you who want samples before I place the order to make sure I have enough. What I will probably do is just make a post asking for PMs from anyone who wants a sample set. Would deb cool if there was enough interest to cut down on the cost a little bit, nut I don't know if Im up to coordinating a group buy. The pressure might get to me:) I will try to make sure anyone who wants samples gets some. If you just want a chip or two I have about 50 $100s from the samples I ordered before. The chip that is in the first post of this thread. The finished chip will have a little different shading on the duck head and a couple other spots, but will be basically the same.

I appreciate the interest.

I may leave the colors as they are especially on the tournament set. The more I have thought about the cash set, and with the majority of cash games played being low stakes games, I am still mulling over how to get more camo chips on the table because I like them so much. So the following two pics are just brainstorming ideas.

Toying around with edge spot ideas for the cash chips, and just for kicks we made a cash set mockup where all the chips are camo. One thing I do like is the blacker $100 over the previous version:

Attached Files:

12. atomiktoaster

atomiktoaster Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    If you just want to do the camo $1 with the black $100, and keep solid fracs, that would be pretty good IMO. I'd be worried about a couple of the all-camo chips blending too much: the nickel, half and $5; the quarter and $10; the dime, $10 and $100.

Without at least some solids in the set, you might lose the duck foot mold in the dark camo.

One think you might want to look into is rotating/mirroring the camo pattern on each chip, so the same shapes aren't in the same orientation with respect to the inlay.

I'm not a big fan of the white spots, especially on fracs. The more subtle spots on the 2 isn't bad, but the solid looked great. The centered base color gradient does look good, especially on the quarter and 2.

13. bsw179

bsw179 Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you are saying and had those same thoughts about certain chips looking to close to the same. Just keep in mind that the nickel and dime won't ever be on the table at the same time. It would really be two sets. One with
    $1
    $5
    $25
    $100

and the other with

$2
    $10

and to be honest I may not even get the $20 made.

I agree, I think I wasn't some solids and will probably just do what you alluded to above and thats make the $1 and $2 camo and leave the fractionals solid. The only other thought I have had is to see what a very subtle camo shading would look like on the fractional vs the more contrasting version that is in play now.

I see what your saying here, just to give more distinctiveness from other denominations. Makes great sense

I agree I don't really like either of the spots for these chips, although of the two the more subtle gray spots are much better than the white.
    The suggestion to center the gradient was a great suggestion.