Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

All in & ante questions

Discussion in 'Home Poker Rules' started by Fins, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Fins

Fins Well-Known Member

For those that use an ante structure how do you handle the following...

• Example situation: Player in the small blind only has T25 and current level is T150/300 & T50 ante

Q1: Do you always contribute to the ante first?

Q2: So say the SB is allin and it folds to the CO who raises everyone else (say 5 other players + CO + SB, i.e. 7 total) out he'd get back how much? T450 (the BB + six ½ antes) so the contested pot would be T150?

Q3: Player is heads up... how much does the BB post?

Q4: From Q3... may be obvious from answer but say SB wins hand, how much does he win?

Thanks.

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Well-Known Member

For those that use an ante structure how do you handle the following...

• Example situation: Player in the small blind only has T25 and current level is T150/300 & T50 ante

Q1: Do you always contribute to the ante first?
    A1: Yes. The ante must be paid first and then any blinds go in. In this case, he doesn't have enough to even cover the ante, let alone and part of the blind.

Q2: So say the SB is allin and it folds to the CO who raises everyone else (say 5 other players + CO + SB, i.e. 7 total) out he'd get back how much? T450 (the BB + six ½ antes) so the contested pot would be T150?
    A2: If I'm following your example correctly, I think you have it right. If there are 7 players left and the everyone folds except the CO and the all-in SB, the CO would take all of the pot except for 7 half-antes. The SB can only win what he has, so if he does win he would win 7x25.

Q3: Player is heads up... how much does the BB post?
    A3: Technically he still posts the ante and BB, but in reality he only needs to put in 25, or whatever amount the all-in player has left.

Q4: From Q3... may be obvious from answer but say SB wins hand, how much does he win?
    A4: He would win T50 in this case. His half-ante and his opponent's half-ante.

Thanks.

3. coyote

coyote Well-Known Member

I may be wrong, but I disagree with A3 and A4.

The BB must post the full blind and ante regardless, so the SB can still win the BB's full ante and blind, even if he has less than that total prior to the hand.

Also, to continue with that logic, I believe that from Q2, the SB would be able to win all antes and blinds if he won the hand.

You can only win what you have, but the antes and blinds are forced bets before action begins so they stay in the pot.

4. VARoadstter

VARoadstter Now just a loudmouth
    Lifetime Supporter

I don't think that's correct. You can only ever win from one player as much as you have.

5. Fins

Fins Well-Known Member

Thanks... just wanted to make sure I had it straight.

Just to confirm & nitpick... I agree w/ VAR that I don't think you can win more than you have in front of you from any one player... so using that & a totaly unrealistic scenario i.e. Q3 above... Lets say John Murphy's wins a hand leaving the other player with T25 and gets up to leave to go take a nap. It's his BB next hand and it's posted then folded for not being present.

Q5: The small blind gets only T25 from John Murphy basically doubling up every hand until JM gets back till he can post a full bet and then just takes the blinds/antes?

Q6: If the small blind can post the full SB & ante but not complete the BB does John still get refunded the difference?... it would seem so but then again if he's not present??

6. coyote

coyote Well-Known Member

anyone else??

I really thought I was right that the blinds and antes stay in regardless of how much the all in player has.... but now I think I may be wrong.

heh.

7. jldecarlo

jldecarlo Super Moderator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree with VAR. The most you can win from any other player in any single hand is the amount of your stack.

L

8. Niagara_All_In

Niagara_All_In Well-Known Member

You can only win what you have from each player forced bets or not. If it was the way you say then the player should not be allowed to play if they can't post the Forced bets. But because they do have chips let and can still play they have the chance to win aleast what they have left from each player.

9. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

There is no doubt, Var is right. You can only win from each player what you have left.

10. Murf

Murf Well-Known Member

John Murphy? You called for me? What did I win? :)

11. 2_hotty

2_hotty Well-Known Member

12. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

This is a true statement.

13. Captn_All_In

Captn_All_In Creativity Alliance

He still gets his blind back. Until the guy can cover what is in the pot.