Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

AA UTG, hero has exposed his hand

Discussion in 'Poker Strategy General' started by DrStrange, Oct 26, 2014.

1. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

Playing 1-1 live, nine handed. This is my "quiet" game. The villains are mostly loose-passive low level thinking types with a couple of exceptions. Table talk is pervasive - it is part of the social aspect of this game and not likely to change. The villains have a huge range of stack sizes, ranging from less than $50 to $300+. Hero is playing $225.

The hand:

Hero is UTG - as he reaches to draw his hand into it's normal position the cards somehow flip up and expose A:diamond: A:heart:. The hand is as visible as it would be properly tabled but not for a long time. (still more than ample for anyone looking.)

Two questions:

First, is Hero under any obligation to fully expose his hand under the presumption that someone saw it and if so, everyone should see it?

Second, what does hero do knowing there is some risk that a few villains (or more) have seen his hand. Plus there is a chance one of the vocal players might say something about Hero's cards during the hand.

Opps! -=- DrStrange

2. Ben

Ben Lifetime Supporter
    Lifetime Supporter

First, no. However, I think that any villain that did see it has an obligation to say so.

If someone does, just jam. (Or raise to $75 and jam any flop, if you think it will be more effective at getting someone to "gamble.") If they don't, just play the hand more or less as you normally would through the turn, under the assumption that one or more villains MAY have seen it. Perhaps bet a bit larger preflop/flop than you otherwise would. Never bet river. If someone does something like check-jam the flop, you'll be leaning a lot further towards folding than you otherwise would.

3. JoseRijo

JoseRijo Well-Known Member

Tommy Angelo talks about folding aces preflop. Maybe this is a good time to try it. I've folded aces preflop online a few times. Just think of it as a live mis-click.

4. chippy mcchiperson

chippy mcchiperson Well-Known Member

Jam it and pick up the blinds. If someone wants to try and crack your aces let them have at it.

5. bergs

bergs The Don Rickles of Chiptalk
    Lifetime Supporter

I like this approach - "Guys, I accidentally flipped over my hand, and Ive got these (expose the AA) and if anyone wants to gamble, sounds good to me, I'm all in".

6. kirchhausen

kirchhausen Well-Known Member

You gotta ship it, once you have flipped it
    you gotta take away the odds so they can't call it/

Boom ba-da-da-da-da
    Baby Ship It

7. DrStrange

DrStrange Creativity Alliance
    Supporter

*** Results (not very exciting) ***

Hero just waits a bit to see what table chatter happens. Nothing for maybe 15 seconds then a reminder that action is on Hero.

Hero bets $15, everyone folds. The blinds mention they say Hero's hand but no one else says they did.

Oh well - got to be more careful, what ever "more careful" means.

DrStrange

8. grandgnu

grandgnu Well-Known Member

lol 20 fingers Gotta Lick It, well played sir!

9. daschuck77

daschuck77 Well-Known Member

I swear if that happened at our Wednesday night game, those donktards would still take a swing with TT-KK or any Ax.

10. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Ditto. At least 3 people in our game would pay $15 to see a flop.

11. stocky

stocky Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Yes I think jamming is the best option. Personally I don't want to see a flop with other opponents who may of seen my cards. All I would be thinking is "if he knows I have AA why is he betting/calling etc."

Jam and let them gamble

12. grandgnu

If I know my opponents hole cards I can essentially play perfect poker against them, I'd be willing to see a flop with ATC with that type of information.

13. B.C.

B.C. Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

So how much money would you lose long term when they shove every flop against you?

14. grandgnu

There are too many variables. Stack sizes? How often do we outflop the Aces and get them to stack off? How much do we win in those instances? How often do we get counterfeited or outdrawn and lose in those instances?

How often we call pre-flop with perfect information and have to fold the flop? How much does that add up to?

Does our opponent shove every flop every time or are there times that they check (fearing they might stack off since we know their hand) allowing us to outdraw them cheaply, or times they make callable bets?

It's very rare you can play with perfect information and make the 100% correct decision against your opponent. I think you're missing the HUGE value that represents.

Also, do they always know we know their hand? If not, that changes things as well.

15. guinness

guinness Degen Gatekeeper
    Lifetime Supporter

Jesus Christ go back in your hole.

16. bergs

bergs The Don Rickles of Chiptalk
    Lifetime Supporter

Tim, when you write it that way, he actually thinks he's Jesus Christ...

FYP.