Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

750 Chip Aluminum Poker Chip Case Review by TX_kiwi

Discussion in 'Poker Gear Reviews' started by TX_kiwi, Dec 3, 2007.

1. TX_kiwi

TX_kiwi Well-Known Member

750 Chip Aluminum Poker Chip Case Review
    by TX_kiwi

Manufacturer:
    Unknown
    Retailer(s): ChipsandGames <o></o>
    Link: http://www.chipsandgames.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=824<o></o>
    CT Reference: http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/poker-chip-cases/36211-750-count-chip-case.html <o></o>
    Price:
    24.95 + shipping
    Material: Aluminum, wood and plastic
    Member Review by: TX_kiwi<o></o>
    <o></o>

[​IMG]
    <o></o>

I will be contrasting this case to the Elite 700 chip case, because I also own the Elite and it has previously been favorably reviewed on ChipTalk.
    <o></o>

Pros
    • One of the few 750 chip cases out there <o></o>
    • Relatively cheap<o></o>
    • Plenty of room for cards and buttons, etc<o></o>
    • Rigid chip tray<o></o>
    Cons <o></o>
    • Potentially weak construction<o></o>
    • Adjacent rows of 39-40 mm diameter chips rub against each other
    [​IMG]

Capacity <o></o>
    <o></o>

Holds 750 standard chips, four decks of poker-sized cards and has another compartment for dice or buttons. Chips store in ten rows of 75 chips. The length of the rows is not accurate to gauge the number of chips. The rows each take 80 chips (Sopranos and Faux Clay) or 77 Dunes Commemoratives, so it’s a really a ‘800 chip case’. <o></o>
    <o></o>
    IMO the chip rows are too close together. My Faux Clays (40mm diameter) were a tight fit - not from the length of the stack, but from the diameter of the chips fouling on chips in the adjacent row. This is so pronounced that if a row is not full then the chips will naturally settle to an angle to relieve the pressure. My slightly smaller diameter Sopranos are not wedged as tightly, but are still difficult to remove. This friction against adjacent rows wouldn’t be good for high end clay chips and makes it difficult to remove chips unless you lift out the entire row.
    <o></o>
    <o></o>
    [​IMG]
    <o></o>

Poker sized decks of cards fit easily into two of the three central recesses and are a looser fit, and therefore easier to extract, than in the Elite case. There are ribbons under the packs to facilitate removing the cards. The case will easily take two decks per recess, leaving the second recess for plaques, timer buttons, etc.
    Construction & Durability
    <o></o>
    The handle appears to be chromed plastic. The handle mounts into chromed plastic feet which are riveted to the case rails. On my example, one of these rivets was loose and, consequently, the foot has some play in it. This does not bode well for a handle that needs to continually support over 17 lbs (assuming 10g chips). <o></o>
    <o></o>
    The aluminum side rails are not as rigid as the rails on the Elite case and to my eye the case is not as well finished with numerous external plates riveted across joints. There was a sharp manufacturing burr on one of the top aluminum rails that I had to scrape away. The large flat panels in the lid and base appear to be plastic (as also appears to be the material used on the Elite).<o></o>
    <o></o>
    There are plastic bumpers on the underside of the case to protect furniture as well as plastic feet on the hinged side for when the case is closed and being carried (this latter feature is superior to the Elite, which does not have plastic feet on the hinged side, only the underside).
    <o></o>
    The interior is a wooden chip tray covered in black felt-like material. The seller claims this to be the case’s strong selling point and it is undoubtedly stronger than the vacuum formed plastic in the Elite. The top inside of the case is lined with felt like material (which extends across the hinges) and then a separate loose piece of egg-crate foam has been wedged into the lid. Because this foam has to be large enough to wedge in, then this foam buckles out when the case is open. It compresses fine when the case closes, however, the buckling protrusion is a bit unsightly to my eyes. This could be simply solved with the addition of some contact adhesive or self-adhesive Velcro tape.
    <o></o>
    The hinges don’t appear to be as robust as those on the Elite. There is flexion when they reach the limits of their travel and this appears to be partly due to movement in the side rails that they are riveted to. The latches and locks are standard luggage quality (i.e. low grade) and the keys are pressed steel.
    <o></o>

Appearance
    <o></o>
    Standard fare. I don’t like the external rivet plates, which were not obvious in the picture on the seller's website. IMO the clean external lines of the Elite are much better.
    <o></o>[​IMG]
    <o></o>
    Summary
    <o></o>
    Since this is one of the higher capacity briefcase-style cases that are available, then it will be heavier than most when it is fully laden. I wonder whether the construction would be up to the job in the long term. However, it has handled 9 months of regular use with no issues so far.
    <o></o>
    The interference between adjacent rows of standard sized chips is a poor feature if you have expensive chips to tote.
    <o></o>
    I appreciate being able to tote 800 chips round in a single case. Also, I like having the storage for four decks of cards (or in my case two decks and a DB Dealer button timer).

However, if you need to hold this many chips (and the 700 Elite is not quite enough capacity) then you could also consider two 400 chip Elite cases which are roughly the same price.
    <o></o>