Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

7 Card Stud - run out of cards?

Discussion in 'Dealer's Choice Games' started by Mango, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mango

Mango Creativity Alliance

If 8 players are playing 7 card stud 8 x 7 = 56. Only 52 cards in a deck.

It would be pretty rare for all 8 to go to the end but anyone ever seen it happen and if so what happens?

2. StevenH72

StevenH72 Creativity Alliance

The river is placed face up as a communal card.

3. Ragman

Ragman Well-Known Member

Like Steven said, 7th card face up as a community card for all to use.
    Just make it clear beforehand about the rule.
    I was once invited to a home game (deal rotates around the table) where this happened in a 7-card stud hand, but there were no concrete rules. When it was time for 7th street I had a monster drawing hand, but when it was time for the 7th card there weren't enough cards left for all the players.....so the dealer then said no one would get any more cards.:stunned:
    Guess who had the winning hand? Yup, the guy dealing who already had a 'made' hand.....Pisssed me off, but I didn't press the issue too much since it was my first time at this game. I was invited back to the game another time.....I not-so-politely declined to go back.
    BTW, the guy was a 'big shot' retired CEO from a local hospital....crooked b*stard.

4. ipgyst

ipgyst Well-Known Member

I see it from time to time in low-level online cash games. Sometimes you get 7 people putting money in a pot because they all think they can win the hand. $$$$$ Never seen it IRL.

5. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    From RROP:

[FONT=&quot]15. If there are not enough cards left in the deck for all players, all the cards are dealt except the last card, which is mixed with the burncards (and any cards removed from the deck, as in the previous rule). The dealer then scrambles and cuts these cards, burns again, and delivers the remaining downcards, using the last card if necessary. If there are not as many cards as players remaining without a card, the dealer does not burn, so that each player can receive a fresh card. If the dealer determines that there will not be enough fresh cards for all of the remaining players, then the dealer announces to the table that a common card will be used. The dealer will burn a card and turn one card faceup in the center of the table as a common card that plays in everyone’s hand. The player who is now high using the common card initiates the action for the last round.[/FONT]

6. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Bingo! Just had this happen to me this week at Foxwoods in a $1-5 stud game. The dealer had to call over the floor manager, since he wasn't even sure what to do at that point.

Winner btw had quad 10s, with 2 buried! :stunned:

7. cpiaaq

cpiaaq Creativity Alliance

I know this isn't orthadox (most of the games I play aren't), but when we need more cards for a game like in this situation, we just use a double-deck.

8. StevenH72

StevenH72 Creativity Alliance

Lol I can imagine the showdown.

"7 of a kind 4's"

9. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

Don't play a game when you don't have enough cards. It's easy. When we have a full table and someone wants to play stud, we usually rotate the dealer and just say dealer sits out the hand. That or the last card up thing. Or we just don't play games where there might not be enough cards.

10. cpiaaq

Surprisingly 5 of a kind is still very rare. When this situation arises, there are still 40+ cards in the stub... so... Yeah, it definitely increases peoples holdings but its not like suddenly its 4 aces vs royal vs 5 deuces. And we're ready for it... we play a lot of games with wild cards and such... cincinatti where you make your best 5 out of 9 cards (4 community)... good stuff :)

11. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

So when you do that, do you also modify the rank of hands? Since a straight would now beat a flush with a double deck.

12. cpiaaq

No, I never realized that. I knew that in 3 card poker a straight beats a flush but didn't realize the same held true for the double-deck. I'd love to have the math skillz to calculate this stuff on the fly. For example, if we play with 5 hole cards, 5 board cards, and 6 wilds, does the ranking stay the same?

Of course, if you'll play a straight or flush in that situation, let me give you directions to my weekly game :)

13. abby99

abby99 Admin / Chip Magpie
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

Albums:
    My head just exploded! :wink:

14. siNdreAd

siNdreAd Well-Known Member

Yea - this happened to me a few times online and the community was dealt in the middle of the table, everytime I thought it was a glitch in the software but I figured it out later. Unfortunately, I folded when the "glitched" card gave me the nuts :wink:.

15. JM

JM Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Well I suppose it would first depend on how many cards you are using to make up a hand. Is it still best 5 card hand wins? I think with a 5 card hand and 6 wilds, a natural royal would still be highest since there's only 4 of those possible. There would be 6 total 5 of a kind available so I'd say that's 2nd highest. There would be tons of str8 flush possibilities.

16. cpiaaq

Best 5....Our "rules" state that a natural and a wild royal are the same thing. It can suck to get a natural hand in a wild card game, but them's the breaks.

17. Lottery Larry

Lottery Larry Well-Known Member

That's the problem with trying to base it on actual percentage changes- it's the middle hands that have to change while the big ones don't.... and if you're going to argue on "hardest to get" and change hand rankings, then you'd either need:

a) Complete rankings with proven percentages, for EVERY version of wildcards that you have or

b) the decision that a 7-high nohand is now stronger than a full house, due to difficulty of receiving.

That's why wild cards shouldn't change hand rankings (other than adding 5K hands)- it's not costing you THAT much in percentages and it's just SO much easier to manage and remember.

18. Lottery Larry

Lottery Larry Well-Known Member

The group should berate at least one player for getting past 4th street with their crappy hand.

19. Biceman

Biceman Well-Known Member

Last year at the Borgata I was playing in a tournament, and one of the players noted that it was smaller than normal. The dealer said that they had put us at a stud table. It was a high-numbered table so it would have been one of the first to break, so no big deal. Anyway, I noticed that there were 9 cupholders - most of their tables have 10, but I figured a "stud table" would have 8 since I had only ever played online, where it was always 8 seats. So I asked the dealer and he said they play with 9 at a table. I asked if they ever run out of cards, pointing out that it could happen even with only 8 players. He said it's extremely rare even to have to deal one community card, let alone two, which would be possible with 9 players (9 * 6 = 54).

Anyway, not sure how reliable that is. I'm pretty sure that in the stud and mixed tournaments last month, they played 8 to a table. But they regularly have stud cash games there, including a two-way Stud/Omaha game, and I'm not sure whether they do 8 or 9.

The reason I was curious about it was that we had recently done a HORSE tournament at my house, and we were going to have exactly 9 players. I didn't really want to start out 4-handed and 5-handed, since we knew it would be a long time until someone busted (since it was Fixed Limit), and didn't want to play 9 at one table in case we'd run out of cards in the stud games. Anyway, one guy ended up being a no-show so it didn't matter.

20. Patrisia.Oglo

Patrisia.Oglo New Member

:disappoi:where are the tables to play can any one tell me plz