Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

2005 WSOP Main Event Purse to Exceed $50 Million

Discussion in 'Poker on TV and in Movies' started by TenPercenter, Jun 8, 2005.

1. TenPercenter

TenPercenter Administrator
    Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

2005 World Series of Poker Main Event Purse to Exceed $50 Million

The director of the World Series of Poker tournament, the most prestigious poker event of the year, has gone on record he expects the Main Event prize pool to be over $50 million. All 45 events in aggregate is expected to bring in $100 million. He also believes there will be 15 to 20 thousand players in attendance and 5 to 6 thousand playing in the Main Event. For you poker nuts out there, this your chance to win as I won't be able to make it this year. :)

from: http://www.firstadopter.com/fa/archives/000778.html

2. pager23

pager23 Well-Known Member

Not only is that a ridiculous sum, but what's it going to be like next year???

And where exactly do 5-6 thousand people play poker for ONE tournament?

3. TomHimself

TomHimself Well-Known Member

its set into 3 days for the 1st day. 1a,1b,1c and then they combine for day 2

4. hunterking

hunterking Well-Known Member

as of right now, pokerstars alone has already qualified 810 people for the main event. that's approaching the total number of entries into the main event only 2 years ago, iirc. that's insane!!! good god, the entire final table will probably finish $1 million +!!! i know last year top 5 were millionaires (well, before taxes at least).

hk

5. TomHimself

TomHimself Well-Known Member

i think the owner of the harrahs or the rio made it a point to make everyone at final 9 table to become a millionaire :). but i think there was a post on 2+2 awhile ago on the proposed payouts and alot of people didnt like it because there were huge gaps and inconsistencies, we shall see how it all plays out

6. dad604

dad604 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind placing in the last place for money. I believe it will be $60,000 for the last spot money. I know of 6 guys locally that have qualified for the main event.