Welcome to the ChipTalk Community

Want to join the rest of the ChipTalk members? It is free to sign up today and unlock new features, discussions, and reduce the advertising.

10.5 g Las Vegas Clays Review

Discussion in 'Poker Chip Reviews' started by Munky, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Munky

Munky Well-Known Member

Manufacturer: Chinese Import
    Retailer(s): Retailer(s) PCJJ
    Average Price: $.10
    Material: Clay Composite
    Member Review by: Munky
    The first question most of us asked, I'm sure, is "That's a clay chip??? C'mon... you gotta be kidding. For $.10 each?? Pshhh... Yeah right". Now I know enough about clay chips to know that they're usually pretty expensive. This, though, has very similar qualities to clay. The only problem is: I can't figure out if it's clay, or some composite. Just due to the fact that it's dirt cheap, I'll assume it's not clay. IMO, they're a good bang for your buck, no matter what they're made of.

Price
    $.10 a chip isn't too shabby, not at all. For super high quality Paulson, ASM, and Chipco chips you'll usually be in the $1 (per chip) range. These come in rolls of 25, priced at $2.59 each roll. That's a little (by a fraction) more than 10¢ a chip. So if you're looking for a chip that's not hard plastic wrapped around a metal slug and doesn't cost more than 20¢ a chip, you should take this chip into consideration.​
    Feel
    These chips have a nice 10.5 g weight to them, a very even weight. (By even, I mean evenly distributed weight, it doesn't feel like the edge is lighter than the center or the chip is a little off.) An unusual thing about this chip is that it feels like a small hockey puck, very rubbery to the touch. They are textured a bit like a clay chip, but have more of a small bumpy texture instead of a fine series of squares. Someone in the forum mentioned that it feels more like a toy than a chip. I agree with them, but I do like it better than injection molded "Dice" chips. They're a little hard to shuffle, due to the rubber-like texture.​
    Stacking
    These chips stack well enough for home games, but not well enough to build chip castles. They stack somewhere between the 11.5g Weighted Composite chips and Clay chips. I couldn't get a stack of 100 to hold up too well, but a stack of 50-75 holds up like a champion.​
    Sound
    I actually really like the way these sound, for cheap chips. They have a bit of a "Thud" rather than a "Clank". It's a deeper, softer sound. Very similar to "All In" chips (Which makes me wonder if these ARE clay chips).​
    Looks
    The chip is very plain. The label is a little cheap looking. There isn't really much apart from that. Don't get me wrong: they don't look horrible, just not the most attractive. It also disappoints me that there are no edge spots. They come in these denominations:
    $5 (Red)
    $25 (Green)
    $50 (Blue)
    $100 (Black)
    $500 (Purple)
    $1000 (Pink)
    $5000 (Grey)
    $10,000 (Baby Blue)
    Click Here to see all of the available colors​
    Security/Originality
    This chip has a 0 security rating... Then again, it shouldn't really have any, it's for home games. The label with the "Welcome to Las Vegas Nevada" sign seems a bit cheesy and over used. I've seen a few of the plastic chips with very similar design. It does disappoint me that the smallest denom for this chip is $5. You can't play 1/2 with $5 dollar chips.​
    Durability
    Again, this chip reminds me a bit of "All In" chips. You can break it with your bare hands. You can damage the chip by scratching it, again like "All In" chips. (In fact, you can dig out chunks with your fingernail.) This is where this chip is lacking. The chip is not recommended due to it's inability to withstand your hand, let alone an atomic explosion. That's what any of the faux clay chips are for! (Which, IMO, are the absolute best bang for your buck... gotta love those faux clays!)

The label is weak, will come right off when you break the chip, or you could just peel it off (with some effort). It's actually 2 separate labels, the bottom is a metallic sort of "hologram" type sticker. The top is a stiffer clear plastic that holds all of the printing. You can use your bare paws to scrape these off (With some effort). This isn't a completely terrible thing. The recess is 1-1/4 inch in diameter. So if you have labels that would fit, you could customize the chips. ​
    Reviewers Comments
    I wouldn't take these over custom ASMs, Pharaoh's (Or any Paulson for that matter), Chipcos or NJ's. BUT, if I had to have a set of chips that didn't cost me a fortune, I would go with these over almost any injection molded import you'll find out there. This really is starting to indicate that the imports are really stepping their quality up a notch. This is the only chip I've seen that costs .10 cents a chip and has the whole clay feel to it. The main problem with this chip is it's durability, and that's really it (aside from only being able to fit 19 in an acrylic tray, when normally you can fit 20 clay chips). This is a lot of chip for the buck, and if you're on a budget, than I'd say this chip should be on your list.​
    Chip Pictures
    [​IMG]
    A nice big pot.

[​IMG]
    They're obviously not made of steel...

[​IMG]
    This is what I did to the chip with my fingernail.

[​IMG]
    You don't have to be the Hulk to break one of these puppies with your bare hands.

[​IMG]
    Here's a stack of 50 and 48 (Two were destroyed for this review).

[​IMG]
    Another stack of 50 and 48.

[​IMG]
    The face of the chips ($25 and $100)

[​IMG]
    The 2 layers of the label, the flimsy metallic holographic label, and the clear plastic insert that's stuck to the top

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
    1 person likes this.